• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool A - NZ, Tonga, France, Japan, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the scheduling issues are a fact of life in that the big teams are always going to play on weekends.

The most glaring problems could have easily been avoided though.

Samoa vs Wales was almost always going to be the playoff for second place in that pool. The fact that Samoa had to do it on a four day turnaround was outrageous. If anything, make Samoa play South Africa, a game they are likely to lose on a four day turnaround but give them a full week before they play their most crucial game against Wales.

With a bit of common sense and planning, all the smaller nations could have been given the best chance in the matchups that they have the biggest chance of winning. If you have to put teams on short turnarounds then do it in the lopsided games, not the closely matched games.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Sir Arthur, this may have been canvased elsewhere, but you, like me, would have to be "disappointed" at the scheduling. It's hardly a "level playing field" when the ABs get breaks of 7 days, 8 days and 8 days between games, and Canada gets 4, 9 and 5! No wonder the Samoans complained about their 4, 7 and 5! Is this tournament really about promoting rugby worldwide? Looking forward to tomorrow's match against Japan.

DEfinitely dissapointed. the 4 day turnaround for France never really gave us much of a chance. Odds of us beating them were pretty slim, and against full professionals, we were always going to fade away in the final 10, but geez give us a shot!

Feel more for Samoa who legitimately could have beaten Wales and probably would have had they been given the same amount of time between games as Wales.

Japan gets beat up by Tonga and then have a critical game against us what, 4 days later? happy for us there, but feel for the japs.

That said, every single game in Canada is live on free to air tv (better than back home!) and canada's game against Tonga which for most of the country was airing at midnight, drew 150 000 views. a few more thousand the next morning for the replay. so from a growing the game perspective, I think the IRB and TSN have done a great job in making the world cup visible back home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That said, every single game in Canada is live on free to air tv (better than back home!) and canada's game against Tonga which for most of the country was airing at midnight, drew 150 000 views. a few more thousand the next morning for the replay. so from a growing the game perspective, I think the IRB and TSN have done a great job in making the world cup visible back home.

That's awesome. With the break between hockey seasons, you guys must be itching for some quality contact sport!

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
That's awesome. With the break between hockey seasons, you guys must be itching for some quality contact sport!

Quality contact sport? It's the middle of the CFL season (loaded with sarcasm).

Everyone I know back home is loving all the rugby. even people who normally wouldn't watch that much are just plunking down on the couch or at the bar and watching back to back games. great stuff.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Jeez you can see why DTH van der Merwe plays professionally in Scotland, he is killing it already.

Edit: This game is very entertaining, both teams throwing the ball around, Japan finally showing their promise, leading by 10 at half time.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
23-all draw, thought Japan was the better team & got dudded by a few calls but well done to Canada, has to be the best performance from them in a RWC (unless someone can correct me on that).

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
In 1991 they won twice (against Fiji and Romania) and made it through to the quarters, crashing out 29-13 against New Zealand.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Jeez you can see why DTH van der Merwe plays professionally in Scotland, he is killing it already.

Edit: This game is very entertaining, both teams throwing the ball around, Japan finally showing their promise, leading by 10 at half time.

Agree on both counts, especially the first. DTHVDM is a fucking machine.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
In 1991 they won twice (against Fiji and Romania) and made it through to the quarters, crashing out 29-13 against New Zealand.

actually they've only one one game, they beat Zimbabwe putting 50 odd points on them in 1991.

edit : oops sorry - I thought you were talking about japan.

Canada have made the quarters before in 1991.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Not the highest standard, but fiercely competitive, and heaps of passion...Isn't that what all rugby matches should be like?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
such bad line outs from us.
lucky to get away with a tie. thought we looked very dangerous when we went wide. missing pritchard hurt with the kicking.

DTH is immense....top points getter for outside backs at fox sports fantasy rwc!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw the french team up close today as, by coincidence, I had some meetings at the north shore (auckland) hotel where they were staying. I worked out why they weren't able to sustain their first 10 mins against the AB's, too many of them are addicted to the cancer sticks.

The french then travelled to wellington today for their game v tonga this weekend. Still was a bit of a thrill seeing the squad and their entourage up close.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
I saw the french team up close today as, by coincidence, I had some meetings at the north shore (auckland) hotel where they were staying. I worked out why they weren't able to sustain their first 10 mins against the AB's, too many of them are addicted to the cancer sticks.

They just old skool aye bro - keepin it real just like the old days!

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A mate of mine was telling me that his friends brother was chosen to play for Australian schools a few years back (don't want to quote him on how long) but the kid was a gun winger. Use to run on the field with a pack of smokes in his pocket and every chance he got during a line-out or scum would pull out a darb on the field and have a smoke just to pass time. Was a leading try scorer too.

Crazy how sport has changed

J

Jay

A mate of mine was telling me that his friends brother was chosen to play for Australian schools a few years back (don't want to quote him on how long) but the kid was a gun winger. Use to run on the field with a pack of smokes in his pocket and every chance he got during a line-out or scum would pull out a darb on the field and have a smoke just to pass time. Was a leading try scorer too.

Crazy how sport has changed

I recall watching a League match when I was younger and Wally Lewis was either subbed off or sent off and proceeded to sit down on the bench and light up. Even as a youngster I was a bit shocked.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Chicka Ferguson was famous for stubbing out his smoke as he ran out the tunnel to play for the Canberra Raiders.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The Kiwis are risking McCaw and Carter. Mils is playing.

New Zealamd: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Israel Dagg, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Zac Guildford, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (c), 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Ali Williams, 4 Samuel Whitelock, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Tony Woodcock.
Replacements: 16 Keven Mealamu, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Brad Thorn, 19 Anthony Boric, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Colin Slade, 22 Isaia Toeava.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Kiwis are risking McCaw and Carter. Mils is playing.

New Zealamd: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Israel Dagg, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Zac Guildford, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (c), 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Ali Williams, 4 Samuel Whitelock, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Tony Woodcock.
Replacements: 16 Keven Mealamu, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Brad Thorn, 19 Anthony Boric, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Colin Slade, 22 Isaia Toeava.

Just 2 more games Mils.

Status
Not open for further replies.