• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool A - NZ, Tonga, France, Japan, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Japan going in for a try, good to see, that may well be their highlight of this game...

EDIT: Certainly a couple more good things for Japan, taking Slade off over the side line in some strong defence, the little round the back pass from one of the Japanese props though forward showed some pretty good skills. If they can keep the AB's from reaching the 100 mark I'd consider that a plus for them given they fielded a weakened side (as I'm sure they are concentrating on fielding their full strength team for games they believe they have a realistic chance of winning, they said their goal is to win x2 games, I'm sure the AB's werent pencilled in as one of those possible win games...).

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't think John Kirwan did the tournament any favours resting so many players. I doubt the Arlidge family were very happy about it either given they were on the radio earlier in the week saying how pumped up they were for this match and then James doesn't even play, plus they get absolutely belted.

Funny that he didn't rest anyone against France.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Japan didnt stop trying there at the end, disappointng score line but as I keep saying good to see it didnt get to 100.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Don't think John Kirwan did the tournament any favours resting so many players. I doubt the Arlidge family were very happy about it either given they were on the radio earlier in the week saying how pumped up they were for this match and then James doesn't even play, plus they get absolutely belted.

Funny that he didn't rest anyone against France.

I agree. I know I was bummed I had James in my fantasy team, very disappointing for him & his family. My only guess is they thought that with the Frenchs' on/off performances that maybe they were a legit chance there if France had a poor day. I thought it was weird though Kirwan came out and said that NZ should not rest any players and play their strongest team against Japan, then he fields a weakened team himself so it is a little weird. The x2 wins is obviously their goal, maybe the French game was their rough chance game that they thought they'd have a crack at but they didnt put the AB's in that same category.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I saw this coming all week just in the tone of John Kirwan's interviews , who in my view did his side a huge diservice in the way he prepared his side for this meeting. He re-inforced my view in this with his post macth interview.

Japan went into this game with the mindset that they could not even compete and it showed. Regardless of the resting of players this shows just what attitude can do and not do for a side. So many Japanese players didn't commit in defence it was a stark contrast to the attitude that the Japanese have shown in over the last 12 months.

I don't think the ABs can take anything at all out of this match (apart from the 5 points) simply because this was less than an opposed training run. As I said above the Japanese didn't even think they could compete, at least at training your "B" team compatriots are pushing for a start.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I thought the Japanese were hard done by. However the ref let them fall all over the ball at rucks.
The half back
Is
A nifty player as well as the hamilton born number 10. Would love to see these guys play in super rugby

Edit. I know the number 10 played for the blues and I think hurricanes in the early 2000's

Go the force!!!!

J

Jumpers

All blacks score biggest win at world cup

Any doubts that the All Blacks would not measure up to the strong challenge from Japan fell on deaf ears as the favorites posted 13 tries in their romp over a Japan team that played with vigor and commitment.

The result was never in doubt but on tonites performance, the All Blacks can be pleased to have tried a few new play phases, brought on their reserves in both forwards and backs-which didn't seem to unsettle their structure.

Mr. Slade looked rather nervous but settled down and was able to play a good link role with his goal kicking finding success. Man of the match Ma. Nonu was the main link-man who distributed the ball to his outsides well and setup a few tries but was deservedly rewarded with a try later. Elias played a vital role with his quick play the ball and made a number of clean breaks. Richard Kahui scored some sizzilling tries and was a strong defender, made telling runs down the touch. Sonny Bill Williams finally showed what he can do given a bit of space and scored a brace of tries then setting one up for Ma. Nonu.

Good constructive forward drives from Vito, Franks and Co, dominating the possession stakes. Perhaps not a perfect performance and yes there were mistakes but a lot of positives the All Black can take from this result.

So now the bar has been lifted. Can any team match the All Blacks performance? We wait and see.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The French supporters left a lot of friends behind in Olde Sydney Towne back in 2003.

Not surprising that they are great in '11 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.