• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool A - NZ, Tonga, France, Japan, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Canada are only ranked 2 places down from Tonga and have now beaten Tonga on their past 3 games. Couple that with the 11 changes Tonga decided to throw into the mix for this game and it was always going to be a tight game. Amazed at how good the World Cup games have been so far.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah, I don't really consider this game an upset - I think the bookies were giving pretty much even odds.

It was always going to be a close game but what impressed me was that it wasn't the scrapfest it could have been.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I stand corrected. It clearly was unfair to lump Canada in with Romania, Georgia & Usa. However, they surely have improved a lot since the last world cup?

I say this without any expertise, but given their relative success at the 1991 WC, I imagine they got left behind when the game went professional and they are only catching back up now. Would that be fair?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, I don't really consider this game an upset - I think the bookies were giving pretty much even odds.

It was always going to be a close game but what impressed me was that it wasn't the scrapfest it could have been.

Checked the TAB this morning Head to Head Canada were $3! Wished I was on it. Had to go visit a family member 30min in, looking forward to watching the replay. Cudmore didnt get himself in trouble did he? Very torn I like Tonga & Canada. Canada surely are Tongas' bogey team they've beaten them twice in RWC's.

R

Rev Spooner

Didn't surprise me that Canada won considering they played well against the Australian Baa Baas.

T

tranquility

They also smashed the Queensland academy / invitational side which had some serious albeit undeveloped talent in the ranks.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How good was Canada v Tonga? best game of RWC so far, followed by the worst game so far between Scotland and Georgia

Considering the conditions, blowing a gale and raining as it was I thought Georgia did well. Scotland are either trying to improve their betting odds or are really dying in the ass. Georgia played to their strengths and I enjoyed seeing a minnow go toe to toe with an established test nation who recently beat Oz.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am actually impressed by Scotland in those wins against Romania and Georgia, they were hard fought against tough packs. They made 9 changes for the Georgia game and seem to have some depth. The backs were quite good in the Romania game and Scotland know how to get the job done. They now have a 10 day rest, I think they can knock off Argentina and finish second. Wouldn't surprise me if they beat England as well. They play great WC rugby.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
How good was Canada v Tonga? best game of RWC so far, followed by the worst game so far between Scotland and Georgia

Scotland really is such an average team who diminish when playing away from home. Support for the game in that country is poor. Crowds at Pro 12 games are 3 men and a dog.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
OH CANADA! Watched the replay ( unfourtunatly I was at work, first game i've missed live), back and forth game. As mentioned, the Canadian backrow was outstanding, not too mention their facial hair ( Mr Kleeberger I'm looking at you).

The two peroxide blonde backs Van der Merwe and the winger were strong runners all night.

Good win for the Canadians, there game against Japan will be a ripper.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

Good game, but I still think South Africa vs Wales and possibly Japan vs France have got my vote so far. We have been spoilt with great games so far, except the latter you mentioned.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great game, very well played to Canada, I think they just had the structures (combined with a decent bit of mongrel) to outdo Tonga.

I don't know if I've mentioned it already but I'm loving the World Cup. Awesome.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Canada Vs Tonga

If you haven't watched this match i recommend giving it a look.

Congratulations Canada well played.

Personally i think they are going to give Japan a shake.

I would love to see Canada get up. They need the funding from the IRB for third spot. Japan has pretty professional set up.

Someone break Canada's halfback for kicking back possession with a few minutes to go.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Someone should sign Adam Kleeberger. I can't believe he still plays domestically in Canada.

He is fantastic.

He also may have the greatest beard in international rugby.

08umema

Someone should sign Adam Kleeberger. I can't believe he still plays domestically in Canada.

He is fantastic.

He also may have the greatest beard in international rugby.

I think the commentators wanted to marry his beard. Certainly had a lot of up-close camera shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.