• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby World Cup is a Joke!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WHLNW17

I am a rugby fan, but have to say the RWC is a joke of a tournament. It only becomes even mildly interesting at the quarter or semi final stage.

Most of the competitors don't have an established national Rugby competition. The fact that some uni students can band together and form a national team and go and compete at a 'World Cup' is laughable.

There are two words that come to mind when I think of the RWC and they are: Mickey and Mouse....

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What a great game! We never get to see games like that normally.

Sent using Tapatalk

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah, that's total rubbish. Giving the minnows a chance to shine on the world stage and play against the best players in the world is only part of it, but for me one of the best aspects. See the look on the Tongan supporters faces when they scored against NZ last night, or the jubilation in the coaches box only moments ago when Romania scored in a close game against Scotland.

S

StonerJack

There are massive games throughout the entire pool stage. Also just because they don't have their own national rugby competition doesn't mean they don't play regular high level rugby either. You'll find a lot of the players you're talking about play in the european leagues. Also I'd like to point out that Australia doesn't have their own national competition either and we're ranked 2 in the world..

There is only one word I can come up with concerning you and your first post... ignorant.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The fact that there is qualifying for nations to take part means that everyone in the cup has earned there place in the finals. I love watching them play and they get great joy from it, my two words for it are fantastic and fun.

Patto.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ignorance is bliss!
If the troll had bothered to educate himself he would know that of the 20 finalists, 12 had to play a 184 match qualifying round involving 80 countries over 30 months.
If that makes the RWC a JOKE then not many events can be taken seriously.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So, WHLNW17, I think the challenge is to come up with something more constructive next time. Are you up to it?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The minnows are important teams to have at the RWC if we want to expand the game, it means so much to them also, people like Uruguay for instance, they didnt make it, got knocked out from being able to qualify for the RWC by the Romanians & you could see after the game how devastated they were as to how much it meant. This is despite not having anywhere near the profile or money that we have here or indeed in other Rugby playing nations. The cup needs the minnows they bring some special stories to the RWC.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
RUGBY FAN! Think NOT. Love the Tongan effort in the 2nd half. NZ picked to beat them by over 60 points and DIDN'T. Romania gave Scotland a run for thier money. Standing ovation from the Kiwi crowd for the Romanians. Just gotta love this game and the people who truly appreciate it. Go the World Cup - a whole month of rugby - I'm in heaven.

W

WHLNW17

My point will be validated as the 100 point scorelines start rolling in......ZZZZZ

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
WHLNW17 Go back under your rock and don't smear rugby again as those teams that you are belittling are loving being there, no matter what the final score is. If they did they wouldn't be there would they!!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
This bloke who ever he is has got a few bites from you fellas. I abstained from fishing for the duration of the cup but it seems this fell has managed to get the best of both worlds.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It's the second most competitive international team sporting event in the world, and the other one is competitive at a shit sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.