• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rugby World Cup is a Joke!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In time rugby will overtake soccer as the no.1 sport!!!

Sadly you are wrong there. Soccer has the huge advantage of being playable and enjoyable by players of all levels, on all kinds of surfaces. Plus it is a lot easier for weaker sides to compete with, and genuinely challenge, strong sides.

For example, a couple of weeks ago, Thailand took it right up to Australia in a soccer international. The Thai team were lighter and smaller, they had far fewer stars, and they were playing away from home - and yet they led Australia 1 - 0 for a long time, and Australia only won in the last few minutes. Cannot see anything remotely like this happening in rugby. By the way, Australia is ranked 22 in the world, Thailand is ranked - wait for it - 120.

I do not like soccer, by the way. But there is no way that rugby can be anything like the inclusive game that soccer is. I would settle for rugby to be genuinely popular in Australia.

S

Squeak

Seriously, this thread was set up like a ball on a tee. This could be the most competitive wc yet. Tonga, Argentina, Romania and Namibia (with its 1100 registered players) already walking tall.

Many thanks to Mungo-boy aka WHLNW17 for pointing out the depth and interest of the tournament.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well i think you'll be hard fought to find anyone that thinks this tournament is a joke. I've watched every game so far and I must say I have enjoyed every game immensely

New Zealand v Tonga - The tribal dance off at the start was worth admission alone. The game wasn't great, but it was interesting watching the Tongans get stuck in to the Blecks in the second half.
Scotland v Romania - close fought game that had me glued to my seat. One thing I like about the RWC is that people unanimously support the underdog nation, who often have a proverbial mountain to climb. That was the case here, and I liked the fact that Scotland used some running rugby to get out of jail.
Fiji v Namibia - A bit of a mismatch, but I must say I was very impressed with Namibia's no.10. That drop goal biltz in the first half was something the put a smile on my face. Good to see a team play to their strengths.
Eng v Arg - A good old fashion slog. I wasn't that impressed with either side, but it was compelling viewing nonetheless.
Aus v Italy - One of the more exciting games that have been played between these two nations. I was very worried at half time, but in the middle of the second half Australia put on the best 10 minutes of rugby of any side in the comp so far. entertain game.
Ireland v USA - I was again impressed by the minow side here. USA played with a lot of passion and it was good to see them deny the Irish a bonus point and get a try for their efforts at the end. They should be proud of their performance. (although i did think they should have been penalised more at the ruck)
SA v Wales - exciting game, nuf said.

Really just cant wait now for the next round of matches!

P

pete88

Perhaps he meant that Channel 9's coverage of the Rugby World Cup is a joke. Don't think there would be too many people disagreeing with that.

It's driving me fucking mental. Cannot wait till I can afford Fox, but God only knows how much I cried on the inside when I saw they had Rugby for this year. They couldn't show more disrespect for the sport and its fans if they tried.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I don't know if it is professionalism or whether the game is just growing really well in the 'minnow' countries, but every contest has been .... a contest, where both sides strive and it is wonderful to watch, even when sides have been clearly dominant.

I don't know about it being a joke, but it IS hugely entertaining.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Professionalism for sure. The minnows are much better conditioned, that's the biggest difference for me. Skills and tactics have improved dramatically as well.

T

Thomotah

Soccer has the huge advantage of being playable and enjoyable by players of all levels, on all kinds of surfaces.
Agree.
Plus it is a lot easier for weaker sides to compete with, and genuinely challenge, strong sides.
Disagree. Example quoting Australia as a strong side is a bit misleading as we are not a top tier soccer nation. Also I seem to recall some horrific scorelines when Australia played world cup qualifiers via Oceania instead of Asia.

Luckily we have quite a bit of growing room before we have to worry about challenging soccer's market share.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agree.

Disagree. Example quoting Australia as a strong side is a bit misleading as we are not a top tier soccer nation. Also I seem to recall some horrific scorelines when Australia played world cup qualifiers via Oceania instead of Asia.

Luckily we have quite a bit of growing room before we have to worry about challenging soccer's market share.

As I posted, Australia is 100 places ahead of Thailand in the FIFA rankings - that is a fairly significant difference, wouldn't you say? I did not imply that they were strong compared to the top sides (although Australia have had wins against some top sides in the last few years), rather that they are strong compared with Thailand - who nevertheless were good enough to really stretch them - not away in Bangkok, but here in Oz.

S

saulih

Fiji v Namibia - A bit of a mismatch, but I must say I was very impressed with Namibia's no.10. That drop goal biltz in the first half was something the put a smile on my face. Good to see a team play to their strengths.

Can't agree more. Absolutely loved it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
IF you think back 4 years after the first weekend a lot of people were sick of the kicking already.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Perhaps he meant that Channel 9's coverage of the Rugby World Cup is a joke. Don't think there would be too many people disagreeing with that.

Thank goodness for Foxtel IQ.

Every game recorded so far, and the rest of the cup programmed in (as far ahead as Foxtel will allow).

Channel 9 - Schmannel 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.