• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 5: Rebels v Tahs - Friday 19/3, AAMI Park, 7:45pm AEDT

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
And he is apparently one of the highest paid players in the squad. There is some money to be saved right there suits!
It was quite simply terrible recruiting and due diligence. Was Rapp watching his Newington highlights on youtube and not his NRL games? He had become increasingly poor in his last years at Parramatta, so not sure what caught their eye as a union prospect.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
It was quite simply terrible recruiting and due diligence. Was Rapp watching his Newington highlights on youtube and not his NRL games? He had become increasingly poor in his last years at Parramatta, so not sure what caught their eye as a union prospect.
Why does rugby union time and time again waste money on league players. League players will only ever work on the wing and occasionally at fullback. Outside of these positions they are utterly useless (Brad Thorn the only exception).

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The main take away from that game for me was just how exceptional To'omua and Koroibete are. Absolutely world class. We need to make sure we keep both.

I love MKs ruckwork. He does things traditional rugby players just dont think to do.

What numpty on here suggested MarkyMark is a future Wallaby 15? Looking loooooong odds at the moment.

Pro-tip, if you want to completely fuck the confidence of your most talented but confidence based player force him to take spot kicks when he's never done that shit before.

Tizzano and Swinton industrious but not particularly dominant. Whole Rebels pack ran a smooth operation and dominated just about everything.

Its actually amazing how much Hooper and Simmons kept held this shit together. I guess those 200 Wallaby caps actually were worth something.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Rapp was director of rugby Newington when Moeroa was there. Schoolboy prodigies often don't make the cut in latter years. His downward spiral at the eels should have been s red flag. We let Hunt go in favour of him. Stupid

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Congratulations Rebels. Established now as a top 3 team.

All in all it was a pretty poor effort by Berry in the centre tonight. Two howlers in the first 3 minutes set the scene for the whole game. Very early on, Tahs were on attack and Swinton ran as a decoy right in front of the ball carrier. Tahs made good ground as a result but nothing eventuated in the way of points. Can't recall the second incident off hand, but it was about the three minute mark.

Berry's scrum management was poor all game. Looked for the world he was delaying the set instruction so that one or other of the packs would engage early and he wouldn't have to officiate on matters he maybe was not confident about. As it was, I reckon a couple of scrum penalties went the wrong way.

Then, in the second half, he seemed to lose his sense of direction when it came to a number of Tahs dropped ball. To cap it off, he completely missed the knock on from the last scrum that led to a linebreak and try scored after the final bell.

Best for the Rebels included To'omua, Hosea, Faumusili, Powell and Kemeny. No real notable performers in the Tahs, unfortunately.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
As Turinui pointed out, Rebels need the BP. Surprised with Hodge’s kick at sticks.

Still blown away how the Rebels kicked away every chance they had to get that bonus point. IMHO, pretty dumb stuff. Some habits are hard to break I suppose.

I am also still surprised they only managed to cross the line one more time than a really terrible Tahs outfit. The Reds and Brumbies blew away a better performing Tahs by a lot more.

A win is a win and there is no denying they played well. But IMHO, I still feel there is some serious questions that still need to be asked.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
A win is a win and there is no denying they played well. But IMHO, I still feel there is some serious questions that still need to be asked.

Not a very sensible comment. They scored 33 unanswered points, a record for the Rebels. No one is suggesting they’re better than 3rd in the comp anyway. Yet your Brumbies only beat us at the death for a game that we led for the majority.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Still blown away how the Rebels kicked away every chance they had to get that bonus point. IMHO, pretty dumb stuff. Some habits are hard to break I suppose.

I am also still surprised they only managed to cross the line one more time than a really terrible Tahs outfit. The Reds and Brumbies blew away a better performing Tahs by a lot more.

Rebels started very well but felt took their foot of the pedal. Tahs at times pulled off good plays but bad final pass etc which sums up the tahs and need to very much going spending in 2022.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It
Pre Penney, post Gibson.. not sure who signed that one off..

Ah..
I now see why penny did not play moeroa till injuries forced his hand. If one of the highest paid players definitely one to cut to free up even more for big 2022 spending spree. Goodness knows tahs needs some better impact players

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Ok fellas I watched until score got to about 31-0 or something (it was about 11.30 here) so can't say I saw everything, but what I saw I thought Rebels went bloody well, but by christ they were allowed to. To'omua's try was great, but have a look at it and ask yourself why he wasn't tackled either behind the ruck or as he went past it? Because noon even attempted to until he was well in behind! Terrible, I found it oretty hard to find anything positive about how Tahs played, I really feel for them, a young teamm some who not really up to this standrd of rugby, and noone seemingly able to pull them together. Maybe to me the most telling thing was when the camera went up to coache's box and both Penney and Whittaker just sitting there looking stunned and lost, seemed to be not talking between them as though neither knew what to say? I don't know but by gee I know I meant to enjoy Tahs losing after living in Qld for so long, but I can get no joy seeing a team so obviouly lost!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
We will be tough to beat at home. With the Brumbies still to play their toughest fixtures (Reds and Rebels away) perhaps we can grab 2nd place and host the 2v3 final.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)

A kick difference between us and the allegedly the far and away best two teams. A gutsed out win in Perth after an unexpected month on the road. Yep, no bonus point, but we emptied the bench before the 60 minute mark - we had half-backs on each wing at the death.

I hope the rest of the comp continues to underestimate us, because this rebels side actually seems to have some mental toughness about them.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Congratulations Rebels. Established now as a top 3 team.

All in all it was a pretty poor effort by Berry in the centre tonight. Two howlers in the first 3 minutes set the scene for the whole game. Very early on, Tahs were on attack and Swinton ran as a decoy right in front of the ball carrier. Tahs made good ground as a result but nothing eventuated in the way of points. Can't recall the second incident off hand, but it was about the three minute mark.

Berry's scrum management was poor all game. Looked for the world he was delaying the set instruction so that one or other of the packs would engage early and he wouldn't have to officiate on matters he maybe was not confident about. As it was, I reckon a couple of scrum penalties went the wrong way.

Then, in the second half, he seemed to lose his sense of direction when it came to a number of Tahs dropped ball. To cap it off, he completely missed the knock on from the last scrum that led to a linebreak and try scored after the final bell.

Best for the Rebels included To'omua, Hosea, Faumusili, Powell and Kemeny. No real notable performers in the Tahs, unfortunately.
The ref was terrible at the game live sitting down the Tahs end in the second half and I could see the knock on from there. What makes it even worse the ground announcer kept replaying it and playing the pink panther track they normally do when there has been a TMO referral. The two assistant refs were standing in the in goal watching the replay they either refused to tell Berry to take a look or he refused to listen

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the Rebels are building nicely. Some of their lesser know guys have grabbed the opportunity with both hands. To'omua is having a stellar season. Powell too. If anything I think Powell looks even better behind the Rebels pack - although to be fair Powell has been very good the last 2-3 Super Rugby seasons. Eloff is fast becoming the cult hero of this years Super AU. Hosea is building steadily.

With an eye to the not too distant future I really want at least 3 of our teams to be competitive come Trans Tasman.

I’ve been confident in the Brumbies all season, and last weekend gives me confidence the Reds are there or thereabouts. It is notable that the Rebels have only just fallen short in two big games and now have a run in front of their home fans.

Looking forward to a hard fought race home in the second round of games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe to me the most telling thing was when the camera went up to coache's box and both Penney and Whittaker just sitting there looking stunned and lost, seemed to be not talking between them as though neither knew what to say?

A metaphor for the whole NSWRU and Waratahs operation stunned and lost and people (board and clubs) not talking to each other.

But of course many around here will say (not necessarily you I might add), that it's not Penney's fault, it's not Gibson's fault, it's not the fault of the NSW/Waratahs player development system, it's not the fault of those on the NSWRU who appointed Gibson and Penney, it's not the fault of the NSWRU who have appointed those who have overseen player and coach development and it's certainly not the fault of Chairman Davis and the board. It's all just cosmically ordained by forces unknown and none of the above have any control over these events.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A metaphor for the whole NSWRU and Waratahs operation stunned and lost and people (board and clubs) not talking to each other.

But of course many around here will say (not necessarily you I might add), that it's not Penney's fault, it's not Gibson's fault, it's not the fault of the NSW/Waratahs player development system, it's not the fault of those on the NSWRU who appointed Gibson and Penney, it's not the fault of the NSWRU who have appointed those who have overseen player and coach development and it's certainly not the fault of Chairman Davis and the board. It's all just cosmically ordained by forces unknown and none of the above have any control over these events.

Yes, yes, yes, everything is rotten. Throw everything away and start again. Nothing worth salvaging. Have I got the party line right?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not a very sensible comment. They scored 33 unanswered points, a record for the Rebels. No one is suggesting they’re better than 3rd in the comp anyway. Yet your Brumbies only beat us at the death for a game that we led for the majority.

Why is it not sensible? I will reframe it off your comment then.

How did the Rebels score 33 unanswered points, a record high, playing at home, miss the BP and score only one more try against what appears to be the worst performance by the Tahs team this year?

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why is it not sensible? I will reframe it off your comment then.

How did the Rebels score 33 unanswered points, a record high, playing at home, miss the BP and score only one more try against what appears to be the worst performance by the Tahs team this year?

They switched off?