• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 5: Rebels v Tahs - Friday 19/3, AAMI Park, 7:45pm AEDT

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
A kick difference between us and the allegedly the far and away best two teams. A gutsed out win in Perth after an unexpected month on the road. Yep, no bonus point, but we emptied the bench before the 60 minute mark - we had half-backs on each wing at the death.

I hope the rest of the comp continues to underestimate us, because this rebels side actually seems to have some mental toughness about them.

mental tougness....to let the Tahs score twice in the dying minutes.....unable to chase the BP against a really poor side......in short format season where BPs could be the diffence......

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, yes, yes, everything is rotten. Throw everything away and start again. Nothing worth salvaging. Have I got the party line right?

The party line, as faithfully espoused by your good self is exactly the opposite. Keep everything, keep them all, they're doing their best and they have no control over events.

Things will just improve because they just should and those at the top deem it so.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
A metaphor for the whole NSWRU and Waratahs operation stunned and lost and people (board and clubs) not talking to each other.

But of course many around here will say (not necessarily you I might add), that it's not Penney's fault, it's not Gibson's fault, it's not the fault of the NSW/Waratahs player development system, it's not the fault of those on the NSWRU who appointed Gibson and Penney, it's not the fault of the NSWRU who have appointed those who have overseen player and coach development and it's certainly not the fault of Chairman Davis and the board. It's all just cosmically ordained by forces unknown and none of the above have any control over these events.

I think everyone agrees that it is absolutely the fault of everyone you listed above with the exception of Penney, who while isn't blameless, is not nearly as to blame as those who have been actively involved over the last half-decade.....

People were quite impressed what Penney was able to do with an average squad last year, and the team now is materially worse- how could anyone objectively expect improvement?

Eddie Jones could be coaching this squad and I wouldn't expect any change - the squad is sh#t.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think everyone agrees that it is absolutely the fault of everyone you listed above with the exception of Penney, who while isn't blameless, is not nearly as to blame as those who have been actively involved over the last half-decade...

People were quite impressed what Penney was able to do with an average squad last year, and the team now is materially worse- how could anyone objectively expect improvement?

Eddie Jones could be coaching this squad and I wouldn't expect any change - the squad is sh#t.

On the other hand, perhaps the truth is somewhere between the two extremes posited by our resident critic. I doubt that any observer knows exactly how the blame should be apportioned. Perhaps, just perhaps, there are some good fellas slaving away but getting outvoted or outmanoeuvred by the bad guys.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not entirely sure who's to blame for the mess. The problem isn't the coaching so much as the squad, though if Penney is responsible for that, he can't avoid the blame.

My five cents: the Tahs squad is terrible. It has too many players who are young, raw and simply not ready to play at this level. Someone should have figured out that after the last World Cup there would be a player drain, and planned for it. That didn't happen, or wasn't executed well enough. I have been saying for years that more effort should be directed to the Shute Shield, so that it produces players ready to step up, and that hasn't happened either. At present, the Shute Shield still supplies players to several franchises, but the Tahs don't seem to get the pick.

Bright side: I know the game was over by the time he got on, but Edmed did well. It was refreshing to see a Tahs player straighten the attack, draw the defence, and create space for his support. And he nailed his kicks. So there's that.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting commentary after the game about Harrison's injury - as in why send him out there at all if he was too crook to kick.
I know it's been done before but in an underperforming team with a bunch of inexperienced players around him it turned out to be the wrong rein to pull.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not entirely sure who's to blame for the mess. The problem isn't the coaching so much as the squad, though if Penney is responsible for that, he can't avoid the blame.

My five cents: the Tahs squad is terrible. It has too many players who are young, raw and simply not ready to play at this level. Someone should have figured out that after the last World Cup there would be a player drain, and planned for it. That didn't happen, or wasn't executed well enough. I have been saying for years that more effort should be directed to the Shute Shield, so that it produces players ready to step up, and that hasn't happened either. At present, the Shute Shield still supplies players to several franchises, but the Tahs don't seem to get the pick.

Bright side: I know the game was over by the time he got on, but Edmed did well. It was refreshing to see a Tahs player straighten the attack, draw the defence, and create space for his support. And he nailed his kicks. So there's that.

This plus maybe NSWRU should have taken the NRC seriously and tried to develop players through that competition like the QRU did.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeh I like what Edmed did when he came on...something I also observed and was surprised by...hence like to see more game time from him to see if could be an option to improve playing stocks eg maybe as second play maker at 12...

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeh I like what Edmed did when he came on.something I also observed and was surprised by.hence like to see more game time from him to see if could be an option to improve playing stocks eg maybe as second play maker at 12.

He simply cannot be worse than the incumbent 12. However, he is still just a kid, throwing him into this sad excuse for a team would be a big gamble.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He simply cannot be worse than the incumbent 12. However, he is still just a kid, throwing him into this sad excuse for a team would be a big gamble.

Unlike throwing in all the other kids in the team? He looks good. Game time won't hurt him.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This plus maybe NSWRU should have taken the NRC seriously and tried to develop players through that competition like the QRU did.

I cant like your comment enough Scooter!

It really showing how undervalued the NRC was, and is still is. Its more evidence that the club competitions, although providing a valuable step, are just not good enough to produce enough of the players we need.

The Shute Shield obsession and related politics in NSW appears to be really coming home to roost. It's sad to see what should be a powerhouse of rugby be in reality be a figment of some peoples ego and imagination.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
A kick difference between us and the allegedly the far and away best two teams. A gutsed out win in Perth after an unexpected month on the road. Yep, no bonus point, but we emptied the bench before the 60 minute mark - we had half-backs on each wing at the death.

I hope the rest of the comp continues to underestimate us, because this rebels side actually seems to have some mental toughness about them.
No ones saying they’re not mentally tough, but their decision making has a few of us scratching our heads

Reactions: mst

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know I'm way away from the majority here (and maybe looking through pale blue glasses) but over the last few games I've seen a Tahs team that, in terms of ability and effort, really aren't that far off the pace. They're just unbelievably stupid!
They really do create numerous opportunities, make plenty of great attacking inroads to create opportunity, but inevitably give it all away by either turning over possession or giving away a penalty. The degree of ill-discipline and inaccuracy would drive an under 12's coach to distraction.
I don't know why they make so many mind-numbingly dumb mistakes, but as long as they keep making them at this rate they are never going to win a game of football.
This has to be the number one priority for Penney, if they can fix discipline and accuracy, they can be on the same level as the Force and the Rebels, and at least create some sort of contest with the top two. If not, well just forget it!!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Unlike throwing in all the other kids in the team? He looks good. Game time won't hurt him.

I don't know much about his history, other than his season at Eastwood. He is solid, rather than brilliant. I am not sure where he fits in at this stage of his career, other than as a bench option. Where does he start? 10? That's covered. 12? Not yet, IMHO. I would pick either Perese or Foketi ahead of him at this stage.

He is definitely a good bench option, and will grow in experience.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd put him in at 12. Like you say, he's solid.

Fucken light years ahead of Moeroa. I see now why he wasn't getting more of a start.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know I'm way away from the majority here (and maybe looking through pale blue glasses) but over the last few games I've seen a Tahs team that, in terms of ability and effort, really aren't that far off the pace. They're just unbelievably stupid!
They really do create numerous opportunities, make plenty of great attacking inroads to create opportunity, but inevitably give it all away by either turning over possession or giving away a penalty. The degree of ill-discipline and inaccuracy would drive an under 12's coach to distraction.
I don't know why they make so many mind-numbingly dumb mistakes, but as long as they keep making them at this rate they are never going to win a game of football.
This has to be the number one priority for Penney, if they can fix discipline and accuracy, they can be on the same level as the Force and the Rebels, and at least create some sort of contest with the top two. If not, well just forget it!!

tbh i think the main culprit is whitaker. our team look like they are drilled to the point that they cannot play eyes up rugby/play whats in front of you rugby most of the time. every now and then we look good on our attack structure but we are soooooo predictable.

our attacking structures are pretty crap most of the time and rely on individual brilliance or some other factor. it is ALWAYS shovel the ball wide as the first option. i might be a bit biased after 3 losses but it seems noone draws defenders or runs great decoy lines and whitakers structures, since they don't seem to evolve have been decoded in the same way that chieka's plays were decoded, are obvious to opposition.