• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Round 5: Rebels v Tahs - Friday 19/3, AAMI Park, 7:45pm AEDT

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'd put him in at 12. Like you say, he's solid.

Fucken light years ahead of Moeroa. I see now why he wasn't getting more of a start.

What about Perese and Foketi? They are actually 12s. They are both reasonably solid, but are also better attacking options than Edmed, at this stage. He might end up as a To'omua type 12.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
My impression watching the Tahs bench warm up was that none of them actually wanted to be there. Wykes in particular, lacked anything resembling leadership or setting a professional standard, which was what I thought he would have been signed for in the first place.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What about Perese and Foketi? They are actually 12s. They are both reasonably solid, but are also better attacking options than Edmed, at this stage. He might end up as a To'omua type 12.

Yeah fair argument for Foketi as well.

Perese can fuck off though......

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My impression watching the Tahs bench warm up was that none of them actually wanted to be there. Wykes in particular, lacked anything resembling leadership or setting a professional standard, which was what I thought he would have been signed for in the first place.

I thought he did okay when he got into the game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah fair argument for Foketi as well.

Perese can fuck off though..

As an Eastwood supporter for many years, there is nothing I would like better than to see another one of ours become a first choice Tah. We have had far too few of them over the years!

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Did anyone hear Penney’s interview after the game? He was good. Can’t sack the coach when incompetent management led him to this predicament.. Not sure if Harrison is the answer at 10. Sure he can kick goals, sure he is playing behind a not so dominant forward pack but does he get the most out of his backline? Edmed came on and set up a great try.. and where is the other back up 10 Donaldson? He has not been sighted ... Robertson looks good at 9 although what is the logic when you are clearly out of the game to give your subs 5 minutes at the end? Surely it is worth giving them more game time or from now on, try starting them to see how they go? We know what the other main stays are doing and they aren’t winning...

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
mental tougness..to let the Tahs score twice in the dying minutes...unable to chase the BP against a really poor side..in short format season where BPs could be the diffence..
They put themselves in the position for those questions to be asked and have played it down to the wire in three tough matches prior. Didn't put the tahs to the sword, and it was clear watching that Tuttle didn't grasp the situation at the end until Hodge squared him up, but got the W - in previous years one of the last two matches would have ended up being a banana skin, and historically we would have melted under the pressure of any of the first three.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
They put themselves in the position for those questions to be asked and have played it down to the wire in three tough matches prior. Didn't put the tahs to the sword, and it was clear watching that Tuttle didn't grasp the situation at the end until Hodge squared him up, but got the W - in previous years one of the last two matches would have ended up being a banana skin, and historically we would have melted under the pressure of any of the first three.

From the Rebel v Force thread:
In some respects I was glad when that game ended. In a game that is statically very close to 50/50, the Rebels finally squeaked out a win against a very poorly preforming Force.

My takeaway were the Melbourne Koroibete (he is the team right?) was fantastic; not sold on WFT the other 14 freeloaders are really contributing aside from some good kicking tutorial and occasional sumo. I will say I was impressed that had actually learned a set piece move to score a a try in the abundant amount of time they have had together.

The Force were awful punctuated by some really stupid rugby. They could have won that but deserved not to.

Wessels even in victory continues to be nothing but an excuse jukebox in every media moment. He can't seem to help himself. I am starting to suspect that a big part of the poor Rebel performances could simply stem from what he is preaching.

Is that you Dave? ;)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

can only assume you typed the wrong name? Izzy is anything but a 12. He's barely a 13.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
can only assume you typed the wrong name? Izzy is anything but a 12. He's barely a 13.

Hmm on recent form you could say that about Moeroa as a 12...Newsome as a 13, Foketi as a 13.....

About the only decent super rugby centre one could argue is Walton who could be argued is a 12 or 13.....

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I haven't spent much time watching him but he looked happy to get dirty. His frame also makes him look lean, but he was pretty dominant in contact. All good signs

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I might be biased but I think he’s turning into the form lock of Super Rugby. Consistently puts in a good shift.

He defiantly has been the most consistent lock this season across all the Aussie sides, not a stand out player but does his job well week in week out. And at only 21 I hope the Rebels and the ARU offer him a pretty lengthy contract next up.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
mental tougness..to let the Tahs score twice in the dying minutes...unable to chase the BP against a really poor side..in short format season where BPs could be the diffence..
Got something to do with the fact we were left with three nines in the backline also one try had to be disallowed as it was so blatantly knocked on

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)

Ok, the Rebels switched off after the toughest first half of the season.

But let's look at the positives for the Rebels,
1) They have the toughest 3 games done and picked up 6 points.
2) They have a bye and 3 home games before they are on the road again.
3) The Brumbies have to travel to Brisbane and Melbourne in the 2nd half of the season so 2nd place is really up for grabs.
4) Injured players are starting to return, our match day 23 is only getting stonger.
5) ARE PLAYERS ARE HOME, SLEEPING IN THERE OWN BEDS AGAIN

I'd expect the Rebels will win 3 out of 4 games and sit 2nd come finals time.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
What's news on DHP and Naisarani?

I doubt we will see DHP back, his starting running last week so would be at least 3 weeks away.

Have not heard anything about Naisarani or Magnay. We get those 2 back and Orr our squad starts to look a lot stronger.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
From the Rebel v Force thread:

Is that you Dave? ;)

Quoted the only intelligent person in the room? ;-)

I'm not making excuses, just saying underestimate this side at your peril. They are miles ahead as a team compared to the one who finished third last year and have the best run home of any side including having the last game so will know exactly what result they need to come home from Sydney with on 24 April.