• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

08umema

Consider yourself corrected. We have done it quite a few times, including this years 3Ns.

I should have added the words 'in a row'. However as I type this I realise that we beat SA, NZ and then Italy. Exercise in futility!

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
And now you've got to go South Africa, New Zealand and a lucky-dip six nations side. Not a bad precedent.

08umema

And now you've got to go South Africa, New Zealand and a lucky-dip six nations side. Not a bad precedent.

Sounds easy enough... I will just take a spare pair of undies with me wherever I watch the game on Sunday. I'll be shitting myself everytime Steyn sets up for a penalty

08umema

Ok I have given myself a time-out for the stupidity of my remarks on page 8. Starting.... Now.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This interview was on the Rugby Club last night

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/r...o-e6frf4pu-1226166559553?subcat=1225864525308

I liked the sentiment about the mental/belief side of rugby/sport from Deans

It adds to a comment Campese said on the Times RWC podcast suggest all these guys in the RWC semis are pretty well equally fit, the rest of it is down to attitude.

Funny he (Deans) should talk about it. Redshappy has talked about the "hard mind" and other aspects of Sports Psychology for the last few years and has posted here extensively on the subject, most often lamenting the lack of it at Wallaby level. I have to agree with RH, in general though last weekend the defence (which is so much about attitude) told a huge story about where their attitude was for that game. It does explain why there are the inexplicable ups and down throughout Deans' tenure and the results such as against Samoa, England, NZ and Scotland where they just didn't show up.

I would add too that tactics and how it best uses talent has a huge bearing on results and ties back into the confidence of the side. The Boks for mine last week were over confident that they could bash their way through the Wallaby defence and even with such overwhelming territory and possession statistics they couldn't get through. Were they arrogantly overconfident? Why didn't they think to try something different? Did they have no confidence in any other plan? They certainly had the talent to try something different.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think it is more that they are babies in test terms and are still learning to "turn up" for every game.

but there are signs of the them learning

08umema

I think it is more that they are babies in test terms and are still learning to "turn up" for every game.

But at what point do they become 'veteran' test players? When the group starts winning consistently?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Observation: The 'babies' of the Wales team (younger on average than the Wallabies) are managing to 'turn up' for every single one of their WC games. They haven't had 'an Ireland moment', or the lapses v Russia in 2H.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Observation: The 'babies' of the Wales team (younger on average than the Wallabies) are managing to 'turn up' for every single one of their WC games. They haven't had 'an Ireland moment', or the lapses v Russia in 2H.

Our babies tend to be a bit cocky at times. Your observation of the Welsh is one of the things I admire most about them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
But at what point do they become 'veteran' test players? When the group starts winning consistently?

To me, it is when they turn up mentally for each game, when they keep their structure under pressure and/or when they are winning easily.

The winning is what follows

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

When they take all the learnings and profits of knowledge and apply them on a consitant basis moving forward, meeting the demands of test rugby. ;)

08umema

When they take all the learnings and profits of knowledge and apply them on a consitant basis moving forward, meeting the demands of test rugby. ;)

I can't recall if this is so, but do we have a full-time sports psychologist for this very reason?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

We could do worse than look to Bob Dwyer for an answer to that. It can never be right to focus on outcomes. Get the execution right and success will follow. This group of players will be veteran test players when they consistently get the execution right. Then they will be very hard to beat for any opposition.

08umema

We could do worse than look to Bob Dwyer for an answer to that. It can never be right to focus on outcomes. Get the execution right and success will follow. This group of players will be veteran test players when they consistently get the execution right. Then they will be very hard to beat for any opposition.

I'd definitely like to hear his opinion on it. Still amazes me that he does an article every week or so for GAGR. Nice bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.