• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Robbie Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgo

Frank Nicholson (4)
how about some of their nasty blokes like gallen and ..... can't remember anyone else. whether it is a class thing or a 'which school you went to' thing none of us can deny that the wallabies are pussies compared to the kangaroos. hate to say it but its true. can't think of one bloke from our mob that the boks or blacks would be scared of (at least in a physical sense)

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
May as well have been, he was negated all game then got kneed in the face.

Good Captain's knock.

hedgo

Frank Nicholson (4)
sorry guys still getting used to the system. does that post from richo after my last mean i've been yellow carded or something? no complaints just wanted to know

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
[ Re this year's 3N. A very limited trophy IMO. Both SA and NZ seriously compromised their 3N teams for pre-RWC purposes, and the number of games was heavily reduced as a % of normal. You just can't therefore hold this up, objectively, as a major Wallaby breakthrough or such like. What was good was the sequential win away v a good (thought rusty) SA team, and an excellent win vs the ABs at the fortress.

I agree with RH. It seems obvious that JON has kept a lid on costs at the ARU. The coaches are all blemished (Deans 2003, Nucifora / Auckland, Blake ex league. Williams ? ). The only world class coach is the kicking coach and he is on a retainer only. By employing lower level coaches the ARU pay less wages.

Re the 3N this year. The game in Brisbane was a good win to get us the silverware. However, the half time score was 20-3. The allblacks got themselves back to 20 all before Genia created a relatively soft try to finish them off. Also, they were missing Kaino and McCaw. They lost Reid and Thompson very early on. By half time the game was gone. However, the Wallabies were dominated in the second half.

Point is, the 3N this year was won when we beat the SA second string twice, and had a massive first half in Brisbane to gap the All Blacks.

As per RH assertions I agree the erratic form of the Wallabies comes down to the coaching and the management stucture JON has put in place.

However, I think JON is a good administrator and is acting responsibly, given that the ARU has been hemorrhaging money since 2003.

The legacy from the Flowers era should be fully mopped up by 2012. ARC, Inflated Salaries to League players and to Giteau all taken off the ledger.

I disagree with the re-signing of Deans until 2014 though.

Bit of a rant but hope it makes sense.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it does make sense grammatically but it is devoid of factual accuracy. Scandalously so.
All the mungoes were signed before Flowers started- they all played the 2003 RWC.
The ARC was an O'Neill idea from which he fled for the lucre offered by Lowy: it was a good idea, the abandonment of which leaves us wallowing in the amateur era in terms of player production.
Gitt's salary was sponsor driven, partly by firepower and was never fully paid.
If you have any more hollow assertions I'd be happy to set you straight on them too.
Flowers negotiated an astounding tv rights deal - something I don't think O'Neill has ever done- with no super league to threaten tv rights they got 600m I think.....
The only thing flowers couldn't deal with was QLD v NSW in the boardroom and the latters insolvency- a perennial issue!

O'Neill is a narcissist he happened along with McQueen, picked Eddie and bailed
Let's see how he goes with the next TV deal

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
sorry guys still getting used to the system. does that post from richo after my last mean i've been yellow carded or something? no complaints just wanted to know

No. Richo's post was moderated or self-deleted, and the reason is given. Not yours.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You'll know when you've been yellow carded. :)

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
[/B]

Maybe it does make sense grammatically but it is devoid of factual accuracy. Scandalously so.
All the mungoes were signed before Flowers started- they all played the 2003 RWC.
The ARC was an O'Neill idea from which he fled for the lucre offered by Lowy: it was a good idea, the abandonment of which leaves us wallowing in the amateur era in terms of player production.
If you have any more hollow assertions I'd be happy to set you straight on them too.
Flowers negotiated an astounding tv rights deal - something I don't think O'Neill has ever done- with no super league to threaten tv rights they got 600m I think.....
The only thing flowers couldn't deal with was QLD v NSW in the boardroom and the latters insolvency- a perennial issue!

Let's see how he goes with the next TV deal[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.
He's not the messiah.
He's a very naughty boy!!

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
how about some of their nasty blokes like gallen and ..... can't remember anyone else. whether it is a class thing or a 'which school you went to' thing none of us can deny that the wallabies are pussies compared to the kangaroos. hate to say it but its true. can't think of one bloke from our mob that the boks or blacks would be scared of (at least in a physical sense)

not that anyone worth their salt in Rugby would ever admit that they are 'scared' but I will play along here...
Samo.
Pocock.
just to name two.

08umema

Sorry man, 'extensive research' and 'google' should never be used in the same sentence as it is an oxymoron.
Looks like the Internet does not know everything after all and will never replace local knowledge.

Who knew google would let me down!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
To add to Redshappy's thorough post, IMO any victory from here will be inspite of Deans. His ineptitude in selection, not only of this squad and every other since he started with the Wallabies, but in the very coaching team, the lack of planning for games, the abysmal bench use throughput his time, unreasonable loyalty to non performing players and mystifying gibberish when speaking to the fans who ultimately pay the bills has done it for me.

I supported his appointment even when it was clear that the Wallabies was a second voice for him and he didn't even have to submit to the same process as the other applicants. I did because his provincial record spoke for itself. In June last year I lost faith in him but recognized that perhaps it was too late to change and this was reflected in my Sack Deans? Thread. Over 12 months on and my misgivings have been borne out, for me there is nothing that can restore my faith in Deans his total lack of results in the areas that he can control, see above, has led me to that view.

There can be no doubt at all by any critical assessment of FACTS that in terms of real performance in the basic areas I outlined above his has failed in his core duties.

Lastly I find the extreme nepotism and lack of any objective review process on his reappointment highly irregular and worthy of a full ARU board investigation.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Inside Shoulder:
Let's see how he goes with the next TV deal

You make many good and telling points IS. One of the characteristics of the recent JO'N era is how manipulative and intellectually dishonest the ARU's culture has become. No one ever, ever takes personal responsibility for any form of setback or negative outcome, especially ones that relate to previous major KPIs that the ARU has declared for, say, the Wallabies, and then not even remotely delivered upon.

Such deviances and outcomes are always the fault of some external event or difficulty, or the prior ARU KPI promises are quietly dropped for new ones that are much further out in future, and thus yet to be met. No one ever seems accountable for anything directly. It is though the large salaries paid to say Deans and JO'N are more for administrative contributions than for accountable, results-driven leadership to drive the success of rugby in Australia, commercially and otherwise.

And so it can be guaranteed: if the Wallabies under perform this RWC, we shall not witness the courage of error-admission and genuine responsibility-taking and resignations to reflect the foregoing. What we will see is cleverly packaged excuses and get-outs designed to evade personal responsibility. These will be disseminated by an organ of the ARU that far exceeds the achievements of the Wallabies: the fear-mongering ARU media relations group and its organisers that have seen to it that Australian rugby journalists understand the 'core deal' - namely, you criticise the ARU and its officers too much, you pay a price in terms of access to leaks, players, coaches, useful inside material, etc.

I expect the package of RWC excuses required for any post-RWC evasions are already being loosely formulated, thus: Category A: 'Terrible misfortune with injuries, we were affected worse that any other team, and our already lean national player depth was badly exposed and causes compromises within the team that the coaches had to work with.' Category B: 'Unfortunately, we now realise that this young, talented, but not fully experienced team was not quite ready for the type of rugby or the special mental pressures that are uniquely WC rugby. The team is developing really well as this year's 3N triumph showed, but it will be a couple of years before the development investments we've made are reflected in a team that can win consistently, and win at RWCs. The team has learnt huge amounts in this WC and will gain hugely from it. The learning in NZ these last weeks has been outstanding and will set this team in excellent stead for 2012, and especially for the BIL tour in 2013, to which coach Deans will now turn his full attention and feels sure is a tour that will deliver good results for Australian rugby.'

Let's hope these excuse packages aren't needed, and our team wins well (btw, if it does, the inverse of the above will occur and the result will be positioned as a complete triumph of ARU foresight and coaching brilliance). But, if not, just watch.

08umema

To win back Bill we need to put together 3 wins. That is 240 minutes that we have to dominate the opposition. Under Deans we have never been able to string together three wins (correct me if I am wrong). I know that Dingo can't get on the pitch and win it for us, but is it that the players don't believe in the game plan? The guy is certainly a proven winner at provincial level, but those results haven't been reflected on the International stage. Boggles the mind as to why he was signed for a further two years.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Irrespective of this weekend for me Deans will have achieved a lot as coach. The Ireland loss was a blot, and far from atypical of our inconsistent side, but overall its my view that's a reflection of where we were at in 08 vs where we needed to be.

The trinations win was a acidctest, and one the Wallabies have drawn on heavily.

I fully expect my view to be in the minority, particularly if we lose vs Boks, because this board has a well documented dislike for the man, but each to his own.

Wonder how folks here will react if Nucifora takes over ahead of Mckenzie ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.