• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Honestly, it's like some days our blokes look like they've just met

I don't know sevens that much but there really doesn't look to be much of a 'game plan' today. Dare I say, just trucking it up - even in sevens we do it!

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The entire infrastructure surrounding the programme (both men's and women's).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympi...nd-must-centralise-national-sevens-programmes

When asked (back in 2014) if this ad-hoc approach is a good idea, the NZRU said that "there is more use in having our players living in the provinces and inspiring the next generation of sevens players". You can imagine how hard the NZRU board would laugh you out of the room if you suggested the All Blacks follow this nonsensical approach and train with their franchises/provinces until a week before a test match.

Then, of course, there is their reneging of the mandate that all XV's players wanting to be considered for the Olympics would have to play nothing but Sevens for the first half of 2016. This was replaced with the half-arsed to and fro between the Sevens circuit and Super Rugby.

All in all it stinks of massive hubris. I only hope that these twin failures provide the stimulus for a complete overhaul.

It's the same for Rugby XV. NZRU has more infrastructure, more pro players, more kids playing the game, more sponsors and more money to spend to develop the elite level than ARU

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems pointless to have 5th placed play-offs.

The playoffs for other positions exist otherwise they have 4 more games to play across a whole day involving only four teams.

It would mean half an hour of action followed by three hours of nothing followed by 45 minutes of action.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The playoffs for other positions exist otherwise they have 4 more games to play across a whole day involving only four teams.

It would mean half an hour of action followed by three hours of nothing followed by 45 minutes of action.

I see, so logistics are to blame. I thought it might have been something to do with points and world rankings.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Do the Sevens have world Rankings? Thought it was just the series.

Would be interesting to see it done, ideally more like Tennis (points won by improving performance on last season) than the points transfer system in the full game.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
It's the same for Rugby XV. NZRU has more infrastructure, more pro players, more kids playing the game, more sponsors and more money to spend to develop the elite level than ARU

Each & every one of those points is wrong, with the possible exception of "infrastructure" as I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Anyhoo, back to the 7's &, yes, there's a Day 2 blog:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/aussies-knocked-out-in-rio-7s-quarter-finals/#disqus_thread

You know what to do.............

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Haven't read too many posts, as I must admit to not really ever being a 7s fan (or women's rugby), but I will say I do think 7s in the games has been great and with Aussie girls picking up the gold I see a lot of upside for rugby in Aus.
Same applies to Japan, with them knocking over NZ 7s team in olympics it will help plenty of otherwise probably not interested people to look at game, especially after their victory over the Boks in WC.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Each & every one of those points is wrong, with the possible exception of "infrastructure" as I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Anyhoo, back to the 7's &, yes, there's a Day 2 blog:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/aussies-knocked-out-in-rio-7s-quarter-finals/#disqus_thread

You know what to do.....

What is false?

NZ has more kids playing Union than OZ

Registered players: 146,893 (total) 28,648 (adults). It's like 100k kids.
Adidas pays more to the NZRU than Asics to the ARU. And it's just a sponsor, NZRU has more sponsors than ARU, right?
NZRU has more elite players than the ARU (ITM Cup is bigger than the NRC by far)
You have Super Rugby players at 7s like the Ioane brothers and superstars like SBW

And about the infrastructure, is what a small nation like NZ can get. If you look the Chiefs gym, is a small gym for a top club in the most important sport of the country:

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
11th place playoff Kenya 24-0 Brazil
9th place playoff USA 24-12 Spain

7th place playoff Australia v France
5th place playoff NZ (b. France 24-19) v Argentina (b. Australia 26-21)

Bronze Medal match South Africa v Japan
Gold Medal match Fiji (b. Japan 20-5) v Great Britain (b. SA 7-5)

Status
Not open for further replies.