• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Richard Graham to quit the Force and join the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I can't see any difference between a coach signing with another club and a player doing so. Players play out their contracts why shouldn't coaches

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I can't see any difference between a coach signing with another club and a player doing so. Players play out their contracts why shouldn't coaches
He's supposed to be the spiritual and intellectual leader of the group: he embodies the "club/franchise" for whom you are prepared to risk injury and to which you are committed.
Also when he's talked up his commitment the way RG has he loses a certain amount of credibility...and his calls for sacrifice sound a little hollow I imagine.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
He's supposed to be the spiritual and intellectual leader of the group: he embodies the "club/franchise" for whom you are prepared to risk injury and to which you are committed.
Also when he's talked up his commitment the way RG has he loses a certain amount of credibility...and his calls for sacrifice sound a little hollow I imagine.
I think you give coaches too much credit mate.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The players are all professionals.

If the coach had the confidence of the players before he announced he was leaving, they should have the professionalism to still listen to him after he announced he was going.

What's the alternative? Act like a bunch of spoilt children and chuck a tantrum for the rest of the season?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So he is a director of rugby which = a coach?
From all accounts he is great coach, making some suppositions on the changes to coaching group, they have appointed a coordinator. That appears to be to give Deans support on the admin side

It is always about getting the balance right.

M

Moono75

If the coach had the confidence of the players before he announced he was leaving, they should have the professionalism to still listen to him after he announced he was going.

What's the alternative? Act like a bunch of spoilt children and chuck a tantrum for the rest of the season?
Very much depends on the manner with which the coach has conducted himself whilst in the job. If he is spruicking committment to the team, loyalty, we're on this journey together etc and then announces......by the way....a better job offer has come up, I'm taking it.....but lets finish up the season strong, I would be inclined to say thanks very much but pack your bags, the assistant coaches can run the team for the remainder of the season.

Coaches have three honourable ways to depart a job.......they get fired, they move onto coaching the National team or they retire. To announce half way through a season that your leaving to take up a job with a rival team in the same comp becasue they have a stronger and more traditional rugby culture, a winning player group.....that is just a slap in the face to all the guys at the Force and what you've supposedly been working towards together. I'll be surprised if the Force players buy into it when they meet on Thursday.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

History is littered with the consequences of coaches announcing their departure mid-season. Look at the 2011 Dragons after Bennett said he was leaving.
I think you underestimate the effect, however subtle and subliminal, on the collective psyche of the playing group. The coach is the guy who makes the decisions, tells you when you're dropped, what you need to improve and how you need to lay it on the line physically - and all he has to persuade you with is trust. He cant prove his commitment like a departing player can: on the field.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Wayne Bennett might not be the best analogy, he announced mid season he was leaving the Broncos to and they didn't go too badly that year if I remember correctly.
As others have said, they are all professionals doing a job. He should see out the season.

M

Moono75

I don't like the fact that RG made this decision a few weeks ago. It just shows he was buying out of this season almost before it had begun. The Force need to identify and lock away a new coach as soon as possible so they can go about selling the new regime to the existing players and recruiting new players to the club.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very hard to think of anyone in OZ at the moment, especially anyone with experience. I like the idea of a battle hardened coach taking a bunch of youngsters and developing them, so maybe a bloke like Cheika (as mentioned upthread) could be lured back. I'm not sure who else really. Alan Gaffney maybe? Tim Lane?

Judging purely on their recent stints in Ireland I would say Cheika would be a good appointment, he fitted the Leinster philosophy of quick precise entertaining rugby.

On the other hand I'd steer clear of Gafney, the dross that he delivered as Ireland backs coach, which comprised the guts of Cheika's Leinster backline, was appauling and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. His thinking regarding backs play is years out of date and as has been mentioned the Force is probably a job for a younger man.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
they are all professionals doing a job

This mantra is meaningless - but will be trotted out endlessly, no doubt.
In business and professional life if an important member of the organisation announces his departure for a competitor he or she is usually allowed to collect their personal items from their desk asked to surrender their security pass and shown the door. Sometimes they're shown the door and their personal items are forwarded to them later.
So, if you want to pretend that rugby is just like any other business in that it is professional, and that it is peopled by professionals, do what every other professional industry does.

Status
Not open for further replies.