• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Richard Graham to quit the Force and join the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

Reading the articles and watching interviews on this overnight, it makes me wonder if the force will ever get there act together.

One thing that seems particularly strange is the notion put forth that David Pocock knew Graham was going for a few weeks and has been promised input in the choosing of a new coach and recruitment of players (even though he isn't signed for next year) this just seems like bad management, if other players are in fact finding out today and your captain has known for a couple of weeks and is choosing who is coming while waiting to decide if he stays or not, I would find it particularly hard to play for them.

I would suggest as the captain of the team it would only be right that Pocock was one of the first to know. Its called a hierarchy, info starts at the top and filters down through the organisation as required. Pocock will have input into the decision on a coach and recruiting new players but in the end the final decision will be made by Vern Reid and the board. As James O'Connor found out, a player can't dictate to the organisation who and what is going to happen. I'm fortunate to have met Pocock a few times and he only comes across as a class act. Whilst you can't rule it out 100% that he will consider other teams, I think he will do the right thing and look to build the Force into a winning team in Perth.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
for what it's worth, the Presser Link held this morning to talk about the changes.

There is a break about a minute from the end, I was filming on my phone and some idiot rang me.
have I mentioned how jealous I am that you can make it to these press conferences.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
With the Reds Assistant coach, Matt Taylor, leaving at the end of the Season to coach Scotland, a replacement Assistant Coach had to be found.
Now a Super 15 coach of another team (say the Force), would not be prepared to drop a ranking to Assistant Coach even if it is the Reds, & even with Ewen McKenzie as mentor.
But to create a vacancy in the coaching position, by generating a new position of 'Director of Coaching', for Links to step up to, that's imaginative in my books,
So effectively, Graham comes back to his beloved Queensland and is coach of the Reds. But I suspect that the real coaching will remain with Links, enjoying a grander title, and that in reality Richard Graham is taking over Matt Taylor's role, at a higher income with some extra responsibility than assistant coach.
And yes, if Links does get offered the Wallabies coaching position later next year or after the next RWC, he's in a comfortable position in the meanwhile....and so is Richard.
It's a win/win, because Links can mentor Graham during this period.
Evidence of whether my assumptions are right will be proven (or otherwise) if no assistant coach is appointed shortly to replace Taylor.
And Links will have to justify the extra pay packet by developing the code at the different levels within Queensland, so I don't really seeing him spending more time back in Sydney as suggested in this forum.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Its not a win/win for Australian Rugby or the Force.
For whatever reasons the Force have been unable to retain players or coaches - this is not conducive to either growing the game in the west or providing a viable franchise through which to present more s15 opportunities to the young players.
If the ARU did not have so many of their own problems this would be something they could address on an urgent basis - which is what is needed: this is arguably worse than losing Mitchell to the Tahs or JOC (James O'Connor) to Melbourne in terms of what it says about the Force's role in Australian rugby: a holding pen!

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
It is kind of scary. RG even said he is happy to go to a rugby dominant state. Now if RG has been told he will be coaching the reds and deans is getting the ass its a different story but why would anyone go from a coaching role to an assistant role? im assuming that is what is happening.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
It is kind of scary. RG even said he is happy to go to a rugby dominant state. Now if RG has been told he will be coaching the reds and deans is getting the ass its a different story but why would anyone go from a coaching role to an assistant role? im assuming that is what is happening.

He isn't, he is going there as Head Coach. Link's new role is completely different.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
despite the results had some respect for the guy based on the players liking him and he seemed dedicated to the cause
what a jerk- his word means nothing
hope the force take the brumbes approach in hiring a coach>
anyone whos been watching manly play, hows things changed with tim lane coaching them? the coach and son deal sounds good thou>

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good luck in QLD RG. He seems to have a lot of respect from the players and is a very tactical coach from what I've heard.

He never really had the personal to execute such technical plans at the Force, so maybe his knowledge will work well in QLD with better squad depth.

I don't know whether this is good for the Force or not, it's hard to judge how RG went in his time here. I can't imagine any coach making the finals with a squad lacking a top fly half (plus a backup).

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
have I mentioned how jealous I am that you can make it to these press conferences.
Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

I'm baffled as to why. Not one journo was able to muster the independence and honesty to ask the seminal questions on behalf of their readers: (a) when the world was there for the Reds in choosing a replacement for Link, why would you choose a coach with an ongoing poor track record in: w-l %, recruitment, technical/skills advancement and consistency of tenure? (b) why rush this and risk team uncertainty in the middle of a key 'prove it again' season for the Reds, and (c) was a world-wide search conducted for the replacement pre choosing RG?

In the best traditions of the supine, intellectually gormless Aus rugby media, the vast majority of the questions were de facto dorothy dixers and obvious speculations re the Wallabies that could be pre-guaranteed to be batted away by Link with denials.

None of my concerns over this extraordinary choice and its odd rushed process have died away. Indeed, when Link in this presser emphasised that it was RG's skills in communicating with community rugby etc that proved appealing and that 'we don't need another rugby technician' my concerns were heightened that some kind of silently over-confident gloss has taken over these QRU leaders. Like: The Reds are fine, their new superiority is a kind of given now.

And I have felt and posted since Rnd 2 that I sensed some form of champions' complacency and lack of 2012 hunger in the today Reds and their coaches. Defensive intensity and outcomes, ball security and handling, back line plays off the set piece, forwards aggression and accuracy have all be way below 2011's standards and have been notably slow in being repaired by players and coaches and we're at Rnd 9. Somewhere, application and complete commitment are down on the required standard. Whilst all of this is happening, in the background we rush to appoint RG for 2013. An RG to be 'mentored' in the QLD way by Link, the chap is not quite ready to swim without water wings. (If we perform poorly in 2012 - a distinct possibility as of today - 2013 will transpire to be an absolutely crucial year of recovery to high standards and exciting play. Two ordinary-to-poor Reds years in a row and you can kiss big crowds away at Suncorp and the 'revival of community rugby' in QLD will I predict prove less than enduring. Like it or not, QLDers like heros and winning heros.)

There's a less than ideal pattern emerging in all this, like a subtle watermark that's there but barely visible. I can't quite as yet put my finger on it. Time, as always, will reveal all.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Wow, this has been a shock. The Reds have their business in good order these days and I fully trust them on this decision. Welcome aboard Woody.

All I ask is that can he bring Nick Styles back with him.

Re Pocock, as great as it would be to recruit him, I still would prefer using those resources retaining the talent we have.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
After taking a few days to process this and I must say I shat myself at first! But I don't think it's a bad thing. I've read everything I could regarding this and listened to all the "expert" analysis I could find and would have to say my fears have been put on hold - for now!

Most on here will agree that Link will at some stage get the nod to take top dog at the Wallabies. What then, should we then start scrambling to look for a coach? Whether or not RG is the right guy remains to be seen, but at least this way he'll have a few months/years under Links guidance and will have input into player recruitment, to get the structure right and understand the way things are done in QLD. You'd hope he could carry that on and continue to build on that.

He has managed to roll a few top teams at the Force and given he hasn't had the best personnel or the depth you can't judge him on that. Poey was out for a large part of last season after Jannie folded him in half during the sharks game. Never mind Pretorius, Ripia et al.

Time will tell - but for now I'm looking forward to the Stormers - should be a cracker!

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm baffled as to why. Not one journo was able to muster the independence and honesty to ask the seminal questions on behalf of their readers: (a) when the world was there for the Reds in choosing a replacement for Link, why would you choose a coach with an ongoing poor track record in: w-l %, recruitment, technical/skills advancement and consistency of tenure? (b) why rush this and risk team uncertainty in the middle of a key 'prove it again' season for the Reds, and (c) was a world-wide search conducted for the replacement pre choosing RG?

In the best traditions of the supine, intellectually gormless Aus rugby media, the vast majority of the questions were de facto dorothy dixers and obvious speculations re the Wallabies that could be pre-guaranteed to be batted away by Link with denials.

None of my concerns over this extraordinary choice and its odd rushed process have died away. Indeed, when Link in this presser emphasised that it was RG's skills in communicating with community rugby etc that proved appealing and that 'we don't need another rugby technician' my concerns were heightened that some kind of silently over-confident gloss has taken over these QRU leaders. Like: The Reds are fine, their new superiority is a kind of given now.

And I have felt and posted since Rnd 2 that I sensed some form of champions' complacency and lack of 2012 hunger in the today Reds and their coaches. Defensive intensity and outcomes, ball security and handling, back line plays off the set piece, forwards aggression and accuracy have all be way below 2011's standards and have been notably slow in being repaired by players and coaches and we're at Rnd 9. Somewhere, application and complete commitment are down on the required standard. Whilst all of this is happening, in the background we rush to appoint RG for 2013. An RG to be 'mentored' in the QLD way by Link, the chap is not quite ready to swim without water wings. (If we perform poorly in 2012 - a distinct possibility as of today - 2013 will transpire to be an absolutely crucial year of recovery to high standards and exciting play. Two ordinary-to-poor Reds years in a row and you can kiss big crowds away at Suncorp and the 'revival of community rugby' in QLD will I predict prove less than enduring. Like it or not, QLDers like heros and winning heros.)

There's a less than ideal pattern emerging in all this, like a subtle watermark that's there but barely visible. I can't quite as yet put my finger on it. Time, as always, will reveal all.

Thats what I'm talking about !!! I knew this would set you off RH. Looking forward to more comments from you.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

Sounds like a job for the hard hitting journo's from Green and Gold to pose to Link and or someone from the QRU board.

I'd love to know how the board when deciding on this ensured that there wasn't any other motives for this move. After all Graham's friends with McCall AND his agent Chris White are both on the QRU board.

While I don't think it's happened, RG's appointment could possibly be tainted as "Jobs for the boys" through these connections. Queensland Rugby I hope has moved away from that mantra, but these types of moves and connections can easily result in lapses. Brett Harris has already made a small comment on this, http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s-for-queensland/story-e6frg7o6-1226328181189 so I'd like to hear how the board actually came to their conclusion.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Indeed Ignoto, and one of the many reasons why the confirmation that an objective international search was conducted pre the RG appointment is a confirmation worth having.

The job for CEO QRU that Jim C applied for and won was openly advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.