• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds vs Blues, Suncorp Stadium, 2011R13

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Chambers and cooper have 5 days to learn to tackle, in saying that cooper did well this weekend..
and we need a goal kicker, cooper is ok but not in form and the goal kicks will play a big part this weekend.... They all need to go over...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Wouldn't call what Thomson does seagulling. He just knows where to be and when. He's a breakdown master, seagulling isn't the right term for him.

Probably not the correct word, but if it's any consolation I meant it in a good way, as opposed to dean mumm style seagulling.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Probably not the correct word, but if it's any consolation I meant it in a good way, as opposed to dean mumm style seagulling.

Dean Mumm? What? He's probably the person least likely to seagull. Gets in everything. Higginbotham is the player you're looking for.

T

TOCC

Dean Mumm's a lock, he is the last person who should be seagulling..

Higgers work in the tight has improved quite a lot this season, he still needs to work on his body positioning when hitting the ball up and cleaning out but his definitely improved his work-rate in the tight.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
via twitter

Got worst cough n flem stuck int chest and a nice blocked and some times runny! Not a good way to start a big week :( ohwell

Must be what Genia was suffering from last weekend too. Hope it's not a bug spreading around the squad because the Reds have some very big games coming up with an already growing injury list.

T

TOCC

jeez, hope QC (Quade Cooper) is good to go, Lucas and Harris are both under injury clouds as well... Who's our next best 5/8 after those 3... Jonno Lance?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Quade Cooper said:
Got worst cough n flem stuck int chest and a nice blocked and some times runny! Not a good way to start a big week ohwell

Where can I get on to this "twitter"? I'm dying to ask him whether his stools are firm or duck splats.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm concerned for Quade. Must be a nasty virus, as it seems to have made his spelling / thumb work even worse than usual.
And Bruce, some of us have just had breakfast...duck splats indeed!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
maybe Steff Rice is not looking after him too well.

She would have to quarentien herself as she wouldn't want to catch anything herself.

Maybe this will be good for Quade. Genia was sick last week and played well on Friday so I am expecting Quade to be setting up tries like that this week.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
9-Genia
10-Quade
11-Ioane
12- Tapuai
13-Fainga'a
14-Shipperly
15- Lucas (i think he will be fit)

With Chambers and Toau on the bench. If lucas is injured I'd give Toua a go at 15, the blokes been carving up in the first two rounds for Easts in the Brisbane comp.
In the forwards, does anyone else think Radike Samo is very overated? Silly penalites, lazy and doesn't use his size. Ben Daley makes more meters in his runs then Radike does. I liked the look of Shatz when he came on so I'd him at 8.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Adam Thompson gets the balance in his game between loose and tight spot on. That is what Higgers needs to work on and he has. I would hate to see such a natural athlete constrained too far.

The obvious for the Reds is to target the Blues lineout.

How far off is Hynes?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Andrew Slack's view on Radike

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...pull-his-head-in/story-e6frepm6-1226051674324

Radike Samo may need to pull his head in Andrew Slack From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) May 08, 2011 12:00AM

THERE are two types of arrogance a beneficial type and a debilitating type.
The beneficial one is where you have enough belief to back yourself, however dire the circumstances might appear.

Arrogance becomes debilitating when it turns from an unwavering belief in yourself to include a serious lack of respect for your opponent.

The dangerous aspect to the debilitating version is you only need one player in a team to have it before others catch it. It's very contagious.

The Reds' improvement over the past year has earned them the right to some beneficial arrogance. No matter how much better they can get, they will never be good enough to overcome the debilitating kind, but on Friday night in Melbourne there were signs of it creeping in.

I love watching Radike Samo play. He's all hair, energy, aggression and athleticism and his recruitment last year was yet another insightful move from the coach. The former Wallaby is slowly becoming a cult figure, and nobody would want to completely dilute his natural flair. Unless the flair morphs into debilitating arrogance.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
A few weeks ago against the Bulls at Suncorp Stadium, Samo scored a try, but before the ball touched the turf behind the tryline, he waved to the crowd in celebration. There was at that stage nothing to celebrate, and had the ball fallen or been knocked from his grasp, there definitely would have been nothing to celebrate.

Against the Rebels on Friday night he gave away two early penalties, both of which were little other than examples of laziness and a lack of desire to do the hard yards. They screamed out the fact that he didn't think much work would be needed to put the Rebels to bed. When he scored the Reds' second try and opted to do a little pirouette to taunt the chasing tacklers, it was debilitating arrogance in neon lights. It's all very well to entertain. Good luck to him if he wants to emulate Digby Ioane and breakdance after every try he scores, but score the damn thing first.

It would have been a risky call, but I was half hoping coach Ewen McKenzie might have replaced him immediately, just as a little sign to all and sundry in Red that respect for your opposition is not negotiable.

With respect to the Rebels, who have already won three games more than I expected they could in their inaugural season, playing them is about as easy as it's going to get. It does, however, entail more than just showing up.

I fear Samo had a few mates who, deep down, really thought that's all they had to do. The road immediately ahead includes the two leading New Zealand teams, the Blues and Crusaders, and I doubt we'll see many pirouettes against them.

One man who wasn't guilty of not giving the Rebels his full attention was Samo's back-row partner Beau Robinson.

There was a lot of debate early in the year as to how to adequately fill Daniel Braid's role. The former Waratah has done it and some.

Every minute he has played for the Reds has been with the mentality that you only get what you earn. No sign at all of debilitating arrogance.

For a man who didn't have a Super Rugby contract a couple of months ago, the question now is whether he will soon have a Wallaby one.

There are certain types of players, particularly back-rowers, who can be outstanding at provincial level but never more than run of the mill when they step up to international duties.

I don't know if Robinson fits into that category, but I do know that if he keeps playing like he has for Queensland, he'll be a very serious contender for our World Cup squad

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Link may opt for a 4:3 split on the bench again this week as he might not be able to call on his regulars to cover other spots. With Harris out and Lucas a back up for 10 is needed. Also someone to cover 9. Very worried about what will happen if Lucas is ruled out.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
She would have to quarentien herself as she wouldn't want to catch anything herself.

Maybe this will be good for Quade. Genia was sick last week and played well on Friday so I am expecting Quade to be setting up tries like that this week.

Run in out of his system at training..... I'll be watching a training session this weeks, so will take some vitamin C

Status
Not open for further replies.