• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am worried if Genia will be in this form come Test time. He looks slow and more than a bit lost. Surely it aint all down to not having Quade there?
He needs his mojo back.

I have these fears regarding Genia too. It's not a good sign, he needs to find form fast.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Felt bad for QLD tonight, the showed alot of fight and heart. I'm not sure the Stormers got out of first gear and just relied on there defense rather than try to put the game away but that said, QLD were great in there attitude, with the injuries in the first ten minutes you wouldn't have been to hard on them if they dropped there heads a little, bad luck, but great fight.

Reactions: gel

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah very good result for a young team like that to win at Suncorp Stadium. Positives were defence (this is becoming the expectation from a Stormers team but it really is excellent) Vermuelen and Kolisi's dominant tackling around the edge of the rucks, Peter Grant and Joe Pietersen's cool heads with ball in hand, more often than not taking the right option (although sometimes not executed as well as they could be). Juan de Jongh's defence in midfield and straightening up of the line with ball in hand. He really does punch above his weight!

Negatives were the scrum. The Reds got the better of them in the srums. On Stormers ball, the scrum was often moving sideways/backwards and the ball was scrappy. On the Reds feed, they more often than not had a solid platform. The lineout's were terrible. I guess this was to be expected since Bekker usually takes so much of the ball himself at lineout time and calls the lineouts. Gerhard van den Heever, he is really not up to standard. Defence is weak, loses the ball almost every time he goes into contact. Is very weak in support play and does not commit himself to the breakdown out wide when a fellow back has been tackled, often leading to turnover's or penalties for not releasing the ball. They need to get rid of him ASAP as he does not fit into the Stormers style of play. Hopefully Aplon's injury is not too serious.
The scrums looked much better when Malherbe and Ginga were the fatties. Unfortunately Ginga went of and Harris aint a LH and we struggled again. The scrums when Malherbe came on was close to our try line and he sure made an immediate impact. Thought Ginga's sideline pypkan which ended in the Grant try was excellent for a fatty. Stormers should bench Harris now, if they cant see the differense with malherbe they are blind. Fourie struggle with his throw ins since last year. He is a bit over energetic and nearly cost us the match with that screwed throw and the penalties he gave away and nearly got carded.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers need to commit more forwards to clean out. They need to build phases and less kicking. Thought it was less tonite but we need to munimise the kicking.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I am worried if Genia will be in this form come Test time. He looks slow and more than a bit lost. Surely it aint all down to not having Quade there?
He needs his mojo back.

Mate, he's overplayed, under-rested, and, I suspect, a bit of a legend these days in his own mind, he's not learning or improving. One senses he's a bit untouchable inside the team, his obvious kicking delinquencies go on and on and on, sadly. Agree with all posters that are convinced he needs time off.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
TBD, I suggested that Genia get a rest few games back. IIRC, we had a discussion about it. His head is not with it. Frisby is keen and capable. Genia NEEDS a rest. To me, he is crying out for a rest.
Yeah, it's at that stage now, I think.

C

Cave Dweller

It is a very good win for the Stormers. 2 out of 3 games on the road is a very good achievement. Did not see the whole match goin to watch the highlights later

I think this is a bit of good sportsmanship got it from twitter

Quade Cooper ‏

Well done boys! Safe travels RT @BryanHabana: Congrats @duane_vermeulen on your first win as captain!! #topguyfantasticplayer!!! #gr8leader!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Felt bad for QLD tonight, the showed alot of fight and heart. I'm not sure the Stormers got out of first gear and just relied on there defense rather than try to put the game away but that said, QLD were great in there attitude, with the injuries in the first ten minutes you wouldn't have been to hard on them if they dropped there heads a little, bad luck, but great fight.

Good sport WJ, thanks.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Reds don't chase the kicks
2. Reds kick poorly
3. Genia is playing a particularly pedestrian sort of game reminiscent of Lloyd walker - i.e. time it takes to do something can be measured in glacial ages. Rest the guy for several games now please.
4. Reds have some serious mental impedance to hanging onto the ball.
5. Reds have no confidence during game time.
6. Reds have no intensity during game time.
7. Reds need to stop thinking that they just need to hang on until QC (Quade Cooper) is back - he is not going to come back and save the day as he will not have confidence in his broken knee.
8. Reds No. 10 jersey should be retired for all time - just name your team with a random guy at no 10 and at the very last minute before the game substitute that guy with Lucas or QC (Quade Cooper) or whatever wearing No. 22
9. This injury toll is truly epic in proportions, there has to be something wrong with the training methods or the training fields or something that is causing this.
10. Stormers are a better team than the reds this year and deserved to win.
11. Steve Walsh needs to learn what the offside rule is. And the advantage rule. Didn't affect the result but frustrating as all hell to watch.
12. Going by the comments from the people around me at the game, the reds will not have anywhere near the member numbers next year unless they address points 1-9 in very short order.
13. I prefer lists that end in a prime number.

P

Paradox

I really hope Genia gets his zing back. Not sure what is going on there.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
It is a very good win for the Stormers. 2 out of 3 games on the road is a very good achievement. Did not see the whole match goin to watch the highlights later

I think this is a bit of good sportsmanship got it from twitter
See the Pampas is playing against the Tin Ears a bit later. If you dont have live picture link go to
http://www.sarugby.net/

Enter in Saru site, look at the match centre and a red match ticker available, just click on it as soon as the match started. Boland vs Border now up.

C

Cave Dweller

See the Pampas is playing against the Tin Ears a bit later. If you dont have live picture link go to
http://www.sarugby.net/

Enter in Saru site, look at the match centre and a red match ticker available, just click on it as soon as the match started. Boland vs Border now up.
Thx Paarl think ESPN is showing it they are the Fox of South America lol

M

Moono75

Stormers need to commit more forwards to clean out. They need to build phases and less kicking. Thought it was less tonite but we need to munimise the kicking.
PaarlBok....hope your ready for a fired up Force next week. Just the kind of game we are expected to lose that we end up winning.

Nice game against the Reds.....imposed yourselves defensively on them. As the old saying goes....Offence sells tickets.....defence wins championships. Reds need to discover their mojo again. Missing Quade massively.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
1. Reds don't chase the kicks
2. Reds kick poorly
3. Genia is playing a particularly pedestrian sort of game reminiscent of Lloyd walker - i.e. time it takes to do something can be measured in glacial ages. Rest the guy for several games now please.
4. Reds have some serious mental impedance to hanging onto the ball.
5. Reds have no confidence during game time.
6. Reds have no intensity during game time.
7. Reds need to stop thinking that they just need to hang on until QC (Quade Cooper) is back - he is not going to come back and save the day as he will not have confidence in his broken knee.
8. Reds No. 10 jersey should be retired for all time - just name your team with a random guy at no 10 and at the very last minute before the game substitute that guy with Lucas or QC (Quade Cooper) or whatever wearing No. 22
9. This injury toll is truly epic in proportions, there has to be something wrong with the training methods or the training fields or something that is causing this.
10. Stormers are a better team than the reds this year and deserved to win.
11. Steve Walsh needs to learn what the offside rule is. And the advantage rule. Didn't affect the result but frustrating as all hell to watch.
12. Going by the comments from the people around me at the game, the reds will not have anywhere near the member numbers next year unless they address points 1-9 in very short order.
13. I prefer lists that end in a prime number.

Fuck that was a hard truth to read. You suck, ;)
Why were we kicking, why the fuck were we kicking. I already have insulated tapuai asking that question on twitter.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Sheehan would have to be in Wallaby 9 calculations. Tough and is still very coachable in his 30's. Be nice if we had a gun 9 on the way and we could use Sheehan until they are ready. Kingi looks to have the most promise of the next crop

The biggest concern I can see for the Reds now is that we all expect them to get their mojo back a few games after QC (Quade Cooper) gets back and finds some form, hopefully with a fit Diggers etc. But even if they do due to the lack of games left they may not be able to claw their way into the finals. In fact, with a tour of NZ and Chiefs at home it is probable they may only pick up 4 more wins which won't be enough to make the 6. I expect the Crusaders to displace the Hurricanes in the 6 but not maybe any more changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.