• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Stoked, good game by the stormers although they certainly played better last week for no result.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The Reds were way below their best tonight and I wonder if the bye did more harm than good.
Obviously losing Lane, their 5th fly half of the year and Tapuai didn't help but I would have thought they'd work more on their combinations. Although Harris came into 10 he himself looked nervous after such a long time out.

There seemed to be some decision made under fatigue that were less than ordinary and ended up costing them a bonus point or better - Genia box kicking when having advantage and Morahan's (I think it was) chip kick out of their 22 at the end are examples that come to mind.

Some of the work rate by the forwards was lacking and the big Stormers forwards just absorbed it and didn't panic. The play where Horwill charged down the ball and toed ahead and Pietersen got them out of trouble typifies the Stormers play this year - any other team would have panicked and possibly given up a try.

The Stormers will probably win the whole thing this year based on that display. They didn't have Burger, de Villiers or Bekker who are crucial players and were unlucky last week against the Crusaders and will towel up the Force next week by quite a margin I predict.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stoked, good game by the stormers although they certainly played better last week for no result.
We still got that 1 bonus point but think we could have done better against the Crusaders. If we have won that one we would have been in perfect spot, last years losses revenged. Its bygones however and Force up next.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Stormers did to us what we did to them last year. Honestly, the loss of Taps really, really hurt us. IMO, Taps is what has been holding the team together this year. He has provided all the breaks, all the defence, all the go forward. We really couldn't expect Harris and Lucas to step up to the plate first game back from injury.

But the Stormers had us worked out. As much as Link is touted as a great coach, a great coach learns from his failings. Coetzee learned from his when we pantsed the Stormers last year, and was obviously adamant that it wouldn't happen again. Essentially, we were the architects of our own downfall. Coetzee is a brilliant coach.

Further to this, I am now relegated to kitchen duty to the rest of the week.....

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm ropeable. Game after game year after year Australian backs believe the way to score points in pressure situations is to kick the ball to the other team. Nothing ever changes. We keep getting these stupid aimless kicks when everything is on the line. And it doesn't matter if we need to score to win or we are defending a small lead some batfisted fuctarrd with a higher number on his back than his IQ decides the other side should have the ball. 2 short kicks from our 22 gifted the stoners 10 points exactly the margin we lost by.
Am I venting. You fuckin bet I am. If you want to score points you need the ball. Never give it to the other side.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Shithouse Effort.

Genia refusing to attack the line means the defenders aren't committing to him and creating gaps elsewhere. This means no space for the outside backs.

Lane's knee injury looked very like Cooper's, I wonder if there's some stupid training thing they are doing which is hurting knees.

Genia aimlessly kicking the ball away has got to stop - no plan, no success.

Thought Walsh was average, but I don't think he favoured either side.

Can't pass (although Genia did throw some nice ones), can't tackle (in the backs), can't do restarts, can't kick (no exceptions).

As always, when the Reds run with ball in hand they are dangerous, and can hurt sides. Whoever hired the fucking accountant who is tell them to play a percentage game needs to be fired. Almost everything was average, kicking for touch - average, kick in play - generic (and short), backline moves - from the St Patrick's U13b's handbook, kick chase - non-existant.

For fucks sake let them run, that's the only way to get back some confidence.

Also - does anyone know a flyhalf that's not busy for a few weeks?

Scrum looked ok though?

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Stoners. I love it.

The Shorks, The Clan. The Tribe. The Rabble. The Gumbies. The Tards. The Farce. The Cheaters. And now........The Stoners. This takes the edge off the absolute truth you have mentioned there Sully.

C

Cave Dweller

I read a interesting article the other day that was a statistical evaluation of the Super Rugby competition the last few years or so. The results show that the team who put the ball to boot more and with a defence good enough to stop them running it back to you were the successful teams. It was on a pdf and I will see if I can find it again.

Attachments

• v9n1-7pdf.pdf
    191.2 KB · Views: 361

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Great win for the Stormers. After all the injury setbacks they were still able to break the Brisbane flook. Thought Vermeulen lead this young side superbly and a 4 point bagger. Thought Walsch was good till towards the 60 minute mark and then completely blow to only one side. No way any team can drive from the lineouts the way he allowed it to be pull down. 9 points so far on tour a good one for our young boys.

Hard luck to the Reds, you unfortenately had the wrong team at the wrong time of the season. Pretty sure you'll get it back on track.

Well done Stormers PB. The better side tonight, clearly. + Reds' all-of-season internal troubles with core skills and composure, I am still trying to decode what's gone wrong with 'the inner team'. Brisbok will be ecstatic - his first SA win experienced at Suncorp, and who can blame him. I believe he was last seen carrying 2 SA flags down Caxton Street ;).

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I read a interesting article the other day that was a statistical evaluation of the Super Rugby competition the last few years or so. The results show that the team who put the ball to boot more and with a defence good enough to stop them running it back to you were the successful teams. It was on a pdf and I will see if I can find it again.

So - conversely, those teams that could evade a staggered kick chase would win the competition... like the Reds did last year?

This is why amateur statisticians are a waste of space.

Here's one - Ice Cream sales correlate very strongly with suicide rates. Correlation does not equal causation, Ice Cream sales and suicide both increase when it's hot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And no one has yet mentioned the Stormers' penalty goal that denied the Reds a bonus point...

How un-Australian...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm ropeable. Game after game year after year Australian backs believe the way to score points in pressure situations is to kick the ball to the other team. Nothing ever changes. We keep getting these stupid aimless kicks when everything is on the line. And it doesn't matter if we need to score to win or we are defending a small lead some batfisted fuctarrd with a higher number on his back than his IQ decides the other side should have the ball. 2 short kicks from our 22 gifted the stoners 10 points exactly the margin we lost by.
Am I venting. You fuckin bet I am. If you want to score points you need the ball. Never give it to the other side.

+++ Sully. What is even more deeply concerning is that - 9 Rnds on - the coaching group is (a) not putting a stop to these appalling aimless kicks that are as you say pure gifts (I have been complaining of this all season) and/or (b) getting a proper kicking coach to improve the standard of them from 1/5 today as is to say 3.5/5 at the very least. I am now convinced on tonight's display that something is really going wrong inside the coaching group, and, let me say, I believe the bad call re RG and its awful timing is indirectly linked to what is wrong.

Btw, have you noticed, compared to 2011, the 2012 Reds have almost completely, and quite consistently, lost the sustained skills and discipline of holding long phase possession.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Stormers were farked in last twenty. Did well to hang on but should have been ahead by more. There finishing still lacks at times.

Jeez, who wants to pull on a Red jersey with a ten on the back?

I would, but I am worried I would get injured.

C

Cave Dweller

So - conversely, those teams that could evade a staggered kick chase would win the competition... like the Reds did last year?

This is why amateur statisticians are a waste of space.

Here's one - Ice Cream sales correlate very strongly with suicide rates. Correlation does not equal causation, Ice Cream sales and suicide both increase when it's hot.
I did not explain it in detail because I want the people to read it self and make their own conclusions. You are printing the comments before the newspaper has been released sir

Status
Not open for further replies.