• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds v Stormers - Super Rugby Round 9, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I did not explain it in detail because I want the people to read it self and make their own conclusions. You are printing the comments before the newspaper has been released sir

Rubbish. If you wanted people to make their own inferences or conclusions, you would not have provided your own commentary to the study. You would have simply posted it.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
The thing I don't get about the kicking is that the Reds rarely put the ball into touch (except out on the full sometimes). They've got a pretty decent lineout and showed it again tonight by knocking off 2 or 3 Stormers throws and scoring their only try off a Stormers lineout mistake.

Lucas's grubber into the in goal in the last 20 mins was like watching the mungoes. No idea of how they were going to construct a try.

We've got no options in attack so we kick it. That's the start and finish of it, and that ain't gonna change for the rest of this season.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
As a neutral observer, I would say that the Stormers were a far better team. The Reds did well to stay so close, although I think in the second half Walsh only seemed to be reffing the Stormers.

WTF was it was It with those chip kicks by the Reds?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Great win for the Stormers. After all the injury setbacks they were still able to break the Brisbane flook. Thought Vermeulen lead this young side superbly and a 4 point bagger. Thought Walsch was good till towards the 60 minute mark and then completely blow to only one side. No way any team can drive from the lineouts the way he allowed it to be pull down. 9 points so far on tour a good one for our young boys.

Hard luck to the Reds, you unfortenately had the wrong team at the wrong time of the season. Pretty sure you'll get it back on track.

Walsh blew one team in the first half and the other team in the second half.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The thing I don't get about the kicking is that the Reds rarely put the ball into touch (except out on the full sometimes). They've got a pretty decent lineout and showed it again tonight by knocking off 2 or 3 Stormers throws and scoring their only try off a Stormers lineout mistake.

Lucas's grubber into the in goal in the last 20 mins was like watching the mungoes. No idea of how they were going to construct a try.

We've got no options in attack so we kick it. That's the start and finish of it, and that ain't gonna change for the rest of this season.

Cote this reckless, aimless, poorly executed kicking (hand and grubbers) has been going on like this for more or less 9 rounds now. And it's breathtakingly obvious as a deficiency of the 2012 Reds' play. Yet it continues. What is that telling us?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just got back from the game and geez I am almost in disbelief. Why oh why did the Reds keep kicking the ball away???? IMO worst decision of the game was Genia attempting a chip kick (if you could even call it that, it was too deep for anyone to have a chance of regathering) in his own 22. WTF??? Its a big call but i'm going to put it out there - Genia should be benched for the next game and Nick Frisby should start. Genia just isn't with it this year. Im not sure if he's missing his old buddy Quade or if teams have just figured him out but some of his decisions and lack of urgency at the ruck was really bad. I know he does good things and throws a good pass but there is obviously something wrong. I will watch a reply of the game over the w/e for a better look but I have also thought all year that Genia is playing like a shell of his 2011 self. Of course I wouldn't be suggesting benching Genia if we had to pull some random halfback into the squad to replace him but Frisby has played well with ball in hand and could give the Reds some unpredictable creativity which they will surely need when they travel to NZ.

Full credit to the Stormers though. For some decent patches of the game they did look like a team who's leading the competition. I think if they had Jean De Villiers playing and Habana not out of position (he butchered a few of their chances) they would have put a lot more points on the Reds.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cote this reckless, aimless, poorly executed kicking (hand and grubbers) has been going on like this for more or less 9 rounds now. And it's breathtakingly obvious as a deficiency of the 2012 Reds' play. Yet it continues. What is that telling us?
It's telling us that it is a cancer in Aus rugby . We bemoan it at the Tahs, you at the Reds, it lives at the Force. And we see it in the Wallabies. Gotta wonder anymore if it's coached, or in the water.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We were average and I don't think the stormers were great either. Reds only 10 points away despite letting in two soft tries, one of which we gifted possession to them, and losing the ball every time we attacked in the 20, including once over the line.

Some of the defensive misses could be put down to constant changes in the backline, but I have no idea why we keep dropping the ball so much. Improve this aspect and a lot of things will click into place.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
We were average and I don't think the stormers were great either. Reds only 10 points away despite letting in two soft tries, one of which we gifted possession to them, and losing the ball every time we attacked in the 20, including once over the line.

Some of the defensive misses could be put down to constant changes in the backline, but I have no idea why we keep dropping the ball so much. Improve this aspect and a lot of things will click into place.
Soft tries?? The Reds got a soft try. You sound like your normal sour grape loser again. Chin up and give credit to the much better team on the day.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)

...and Horwill's try was well constructed was it? You're right though, the Stormers weren't on top of their game - how many lineout's did they lose or if they won it was really scrappy ball. Were not able to use their forward drive off the lineout once. Habana played well defensively at 13 (when I thought he may struggle) but on attack he butchered a couple of decent overlaps with scrappy passing.

Any win on the road is a good win though, particularly at Suncorp stadium which has been a bit of a fortress for the Reds over the last two seasons. The sign of a good team is to come away from a game with 4 points when you haven't played well.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well done Stormers PB. The better side tonight, clearly. + Reds' all-of-season internal troubles with core skills and composure, I am still trying to decode what's gone wrong with 'the inner team'. Brisbok will be ecstatic - his first SA win experienced at Suncorp, and who can blame him. I believe he was last seen carrying 2 SA flags down Caxton Street ;).
dankie Boet, your a real sportsman. ;) Hopefull Brisbok will become our newest Stormer supporter and I'll send him a WeePee flag!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
BrisBok you can take a cold one on me Boet. I still have to push pen for an hour but trust me I'll make a moerse braai tonite and will gooi my charge office coffees.

Big thing with the Stormers is that they only had Habana, Grant, Vermeulen & Liebenberg as experiense players. This young bunch has gone some distance now and a good start for a brand new cycle for us. Havent saw a hard hit like JdJ did on the Reds 13 for some time and have always like his defensive abilities for such a small frame. The Boks need a Vermeulen type 8 specially against the All Blacks, he was huge tonite and kept his marble nicely.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ahhhhh that was painful or walsh was painful, at least the REDS supporters didn't boo there team like others do down south of here when they don't win.

Didn't get the reds kicking games tonight in our 22 and when Genia called a move from a scrum and higger's had to remind the back line,Thats when I was concerned. They didn't train for the reds cures of the losing the number 10 in the 1st 2min's... But fuck me from my seat the stormers are big boys and our forwards went in to high all night

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
TBD, I suggested that Genia get a rest few games back. IIRC, we had a discussion about it. His head is not with it. Frisby is keen and capable. Genia NEEDS a rest. To me, he is crying out for a rest.
I am worried if Genia will be in this form come Test time. He looks slow and more than a bit lost. Surely it aint all down to not having Quade there?
He needs his mojo back.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
BrisBok you can take a cold one on me Boet. I still have to push pen for an hour but trust me I'll make a moerse braai tonite and will gooi my charge office coffees.

Big thing with the Stormers is that they only had Habana, Grant, Vermeulen & Liebenberg as experiense players. This young bunch has gone some distance now and a good start for a brand new cycle for us. Havent saw a hard hit like JdJ did on the Reds 13 for some time and have always like his defensive abilities for such a small frame. The Boks need a Vermeulen type 8 specially against the All Blacks, he was huge tonite and kept his marble nicely.

Yeah very good result for a young team like that to win at Suncorp Stadium. Positives were defence (this is becoming the expectation from a Stormers team but it really is excellent) Vermuelen and Kolisi's dominant tackling around the edge of the rucks, Peter Grant and Joe Pietersen's cool heads with ball in hand, more often than not taking the right option (although sometimes not executed as well as they could be). Juan de Jongh's defence in midfield and straightening up of the line with ball in hand. He really does punch above his weight!

Negatives were the scrum. The Reds got the better of them in the srums. On Stormers ball, the scrum was often moving sideways/backwards and the ball was scrappy. On the Reds feed, they more often than not had a solid platform. The lineout's were terrible. I guess this was to be expected since Bekker usually takes so much of the ball himself at lineout time and calls the lineouts. Gerhard van den Heever, he is really not up to standard. Defence is weak, loses the ball almost every time he goes into contact. Is very weak in support play and does not commit himself to the breakdown out wide when a fellow back has been tackled, often leading to turnover's or penalties for not releasing the ball. They need to get rid of him ASAP as he does not fit into the Stormers style of play. Hopefully Aplon's injury is not too serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.