• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2019

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reds just posted this graphic on facebook:

44300793_10156445856015236_8488391244316147712_n.jpg

Who is the Brisbane guy RedsHappy advocates for? He'd be a good fit

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dave Aldred is a rumored.

Not sure who Redshappy advocates for? As a kicking coach? Benny Perkins?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why not?

(I wouldn't have Gill in the side either at this stage, just want to know your reasons)

Too similar style of player.............

I’d rather not have the Pooper either, but Hooper at least offers something different.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Never liked Nick Stiles (as a player or coach) but I felt sorry for him due to the support the Reds gave him as head coach by giving him a couple of inexperienced (at the professional level) amateur coaches. Great to see they have learned form this error.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe it's my phone screen not displaying an accurate picture, but all those guys sorta look like they've got the plague or something.

B

Bobby Sands

Assume you are referring to Wilson? I’m more worried that ASY (Angus Scott-Young) goes down that route. They’re ain’t a lot to his game other than being a hard worker. Wilson has some real skill about him and I hope he recaptured his offload game as I think it could be a real point of difference.

I actually think ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is an extremely promising young backrower. More so than Wright, or any of the others in the last recent times including Quirk, Shatz, Browning, Hodge etc. He is different and hard to compare to Timu as he doesn't dent the line in the same way.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) is not only a good defender, but a good "hitter." You can't teach that, it is a timing and nature thing.
He plays tight, has a great workrate and generally wins contact. Big fan.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Jeeze the years have not be kind to Mr Lillicrap and Carozza

I saw Sqwabba and Jim having breakfast this morning in Paddington. Paul looks fine, he's lost a lot weight and if I took a headshot pic after eating nothing but salad's I'd look cranky too!

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
It looks like a shuffle of the same coaching staff the Reds have had for years, so don't expect anything new in the culture or the results for 2019

dru

David Wilson (68)
It looks like a shuffle of the same coaching staff the Reds have had for years, so don't expect anything new in the culture or the results for 2019

How do you get to that conclusion?

McKay isn’t a shuffle of same staff but a return from the successful 2011. Ryan comes from the Btumbies with history across 2 codes and reacquaints an old relationship with Thorn. These three are the Red core. No doubt Thorn is green and unproven but it’s a far more powerful looking unit in 2019.

Abad also returns from the 2011 success though I presume was in a more junior role and recent work with Firebirds etc will be relevant but is not rugby or pro football code. To be proven I think.

Lillicrap looked fine taking up the role as scrum docter and we should hang on to him.

The “shuffle of the same staff” happens around the academy where skills that seem to have been proven weak at the Reds may well be effective at the right level.

I don’t at all like Thorns attitude to ownership and what this is meaning for squad selection. The missing link remains a strong CEO. But we have Thorn locked in like it or not. From there the coaching team that is being built around him looks solid with real potential and a big step up from 2018.

There is plenty to prove but this at least appears to be a major step in the right direction.

B

Bobby Sands

As much as people grumble about Thorn, clearly the coaches and players are not too concerned.

We are attracting good quality people to the club, the younger players are all signing on and the players out the door all want to stay.

He appears to be re-building the entire organisation and seems to be getting good buy-in from the people closest to this thought processes.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Proof of the pudding, though Bobby. This is comparatively an inexperienced side and we have been fed the re-building line since 2013.

I don't accept that the HC has a mandate to re-build the entire organisation and within that certain decisions that Thorn has made have sometimes been well outside his remit imo. Certain decisions that have had important repercussions to the organisation. He also re-builds with this puritanism that I think is inappropriate.

Get in a strong CEO, who then needs to get Thorn to wind his neck in and focus on (actually learning) the role of HC, and we will be on our way to somewhere better. The current coaching choices are nothing less than a fabulous step but not yet a full journey.

Any new construction will start with some demolition of the old, but was it appropriate or necessary to go as far as he has?

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Abad also returns from the 2011 success though I presume was in a more junior role and recent work with Firebirds etc will be relevant but is not rugby or pro football code. To be proven I think.

Brynley did a pretty fantastic job with the Firebirds. Think they went back to back premiers which from chatting to him came down to keeping the same starting squad of girls fit. From memory, he said they had the least amount of ACL injuries (I know that's an odd metric) across the Netball division which contributed to their success.

Reactions: dru

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Brynley did a pretty fantastic job with the Firebirds. Think they went back to back premiers which from chatting to him came down to keeping the same starting squad of girls fit. From memory, he said they had the least amount of ACL injuries (I know that's an odd metric) across the Netball division which contributed to their success.

He's a good fit I think. Has worked there before under Marsh and Ollie Richardson and has gone and cut his teeth in other professional roles. Skills in developing a great S&C program are highly transferable between sports (much more than skills in the sports themselves). Furthermore, if he has a good understanding and demonstrable track record in non-contact injury prevention that is a great thing. The most valuable ability players can have is availability. Every year a team suffers a bad run of injuries which cripples an otherwise promising start to the season. For us to be any chance of getting better, reducing the chance of it being us should be a HIGH priority.

dru

David Wilson (68)
He's a good fit I think. Has worked there before under Marsh and Ollie Richardson and has gone and cut his teeth in other professional roles. Skills in developing a great S&C program are highly transferable between sports (much more than skills in the sports themselves). Furthermore, if he has a good understanding and demonstrable track record in non-contact injury prevention that is a great thing. The most valuable ability players can have is availability. Every year a team suffers a bad run of injuries which cripples an otherwise promising start to the season. For us to be any chance of getting better, reducing the chance of it being us should be a HIGH priority.

The key here, as usual, is building something where Thorn has his own ideas. Whatever Brynley does he'll have to click with Thorn's somewhat direct approach to the gym. Hopefully Thorn was the determining factor in selecting this position.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Remember that time when he fed the masses with some left over fish and bread?

Look I love the guy. Brilliant player. I’d have him in the team in a flash. Both teams. I think he’s better than Hooper in his prime. More to his game. But let’s not deify him just yet. The credit to his school thing for example. Remember what happened in his last game for his school?

Besidss none of us know the full story here at the moment. Theorise all you like, that’s what this place is for. But there’s no point storming the gates with only a few snippets of info.

Fact is Reds have stuff all money. Fact is they also have 4 exceptional 7 options coming through. These are considerations for a Head Coach when building his program.

What happened with his last school game?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reds just posted this graphic on facebook:

44300793_10156445856015236_8488391244316147712_n.jpg

Who is the Brisbane guy RedsHappy advocates for? He'd be a good fit
I always get concerned with split professions.

Lillicrap as scrum coach AND physiotherapist, how is there time for both, I would have thought they should both be full time positions at this level.