• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Very lucky lad is Tui

No, I disagree. This is actually almost exactly what I predicted. I said he'd get 6 weeks but they'd mitigate it down to between 2 and 4.

I think given the involvement of Blue 7, plus Genia's body position going into the tackle and the BIG - small body dynamics it's about right. I wouldn't have been surprised with 2 weeks but nether with 4. 3 is fair.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
They must have thought they had a fair shot at getting him off altogether though, or else they'd have just taken the early guilty plea like Higgers, which would all but have ensured 3 weeks.

So I reckon the Reds probably don't feel it was very lucky. Still, could have been worse - could have 4 or even 8 weeks if it had gone badly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They must have thought they had a fair shot at getting him off altogether though, or else they'd have just taken the early guilty plea like Higgers, which would all but have ensured 3 weeks.

So I reckon the Reds probably don't feel it was very lucky. Still, could have been worse - could have 4 or even 8 weeks if it had gone badly.

He pleaded guilty at the first possible instance.

I think it was just a different process given he was cited rather than having an automatic hearing following a red card.

When they first met on Sunday I don't think Tui was given a deal he could plead guilty to. It was held over for a judiciary hearing on Tuesday night.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah - I think the way they have it setup at the moment if you don't plead guilty, you can't get the mitigation reduction in penalty

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
tomato, tomato; potato, potato. :D

At first I read that as the same word twice and was like WTF?!

So with Higgers out and Tui joining him, who will be captain for the next 3 games at least?
I think the players with the potential to be leading the Reds around the part next week would be:
  • Slipper
  • Paia'aua
  • Kerevi
Some more unexpected but possibly justificable options might be:
  • Lance
  • Ready
  • Rodda
  • Hunt (is he playing for us?!)
What do people think?
I personally think you can't go past Slipper, it was a mistake to not have Slipper as the capitan week one, he's captained the side since 2015 and has been fairly solid. I think he's even captained the Wallabies.
I feel like it's a mistake to change the capitan if you don't have a reason to, and I at least couldn't see any reason not to.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Besides from the fact he wasn't the captain? Kerevi was.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Besides from the fact he wasn't the captain? Kerevi was.

Are you talking about the game on Friday, or about last season? Because as far as I'm aware Slipper was only not capitan last year because he was injured. Plus I am not sure if Kerevi's form would quite justify it yet, he's too inconsistent.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
At first I read that as the same word twice and was like WTF?!

So with Higgers out and Tui joining him, who will be captain for the next 3 games at least?
I think the players with the potential to be leading the Reds around the part next week would be:
  • Slipper
  • Paia'aua
  • Kerevi
Some more unexpected but possibly justificable options might be:

• Lance
  • Ready
  • Rodda
  • Hunt (is he playing for us?!)
What do people think?

I personally think you can't go past Slipper, it was a mistake to not have Slipper as the capitan week one, he's captained the side since 2015 and has been fairly solid. I think he's even captained the Wallabies.
I feel like it's a mistake to change the capitan if you don't have a reason to, and I at least couldn't see any reason not to.

Love the idea of Hunt being captain. The whole team can go out to the Valley to celebrate a win ....

dru

David Wilson (68)
For the realists - Nic Bishop's writing is always worth a read. This time on Brad's performance.
http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/28/brad-thorn-right-dump-quade-cooper-karmichael-hunt/

It continues through the lengthy comments, here is a snapshot for the nature of the article:

Yes I’m not sure how the analysis of one match covers off the long term direction of the Reds to be able to answer the title question
It doesn’t ofc, nor is it intended to Tman. But I did expect far more from the Reds given what Thorn had said about those twin pillars of defence and physicality.
At present the D is way off the standard you’d expect from any pro team – so let’s hope for improvement against the Brumbies in that respect!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Don't you love the quiet editorialising through photo choice ...........

d2lkdGg9NzAwfDI4MjIwMTgzY3hvLmN8MjgyMjAxODM=

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Reds team to face the Brumbies

1. James Slipper (C)
2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
3. Taniela Tupou
4. Izack Rodda
5. Kane Douglas
6. Adam Korczyk
7. Liam Wright
8. Caleb Timu
9. James Tuttle
10. Jono Lance
11. Eto Nabuli
12. Duncan Paia’aua
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Chris Feauai-Sautia
15. Aidan Toua
Reserves
16. Alex Mafi
17. JP Smith
18. Sef Fa’agase
19. Harry Hockings
20. Angus Scott-Young
21. Tate McDermott
22. Hamish Stewart
23. Filipo Daugunu

So things about our side, I'm pleased to see Slipper returned to capitan. While I'm disappointed to see Douglas in the starting side I don't think we have too much option; also hope to see good things from Hockings! The rest of the forwards are largely paint by numbers.

The backs are another story. While I wasn't really expecting wholesale changes I was expecting some changes, at least some shuffling around. As I at least feel Lance and Toua are playing the wrong positions and Nabuli is at best an average Super Rugby player (as well as nearly giving away two yellow cards) -- he should make way for Daugunu or Toua to the wing with Stewart/Hunt coming in at 15. But Nabuli is a fine bench player, and is a good enough finisher for a good Super Team but he's wasted on a bad Super Team like ours.

The bench it's nice to see ASY (Angus Scott-Young) brought in. Surprising to see Tate McDermott coming back in I felt like he was pretty ordinary.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Ok, I get that Hamish over Quade can be sold as a bold new direction for the team but on what planet is Lance an improvement on Quade???

Hopefully Hamish gets some decent (any) minutes this week....

Status
Not open for further replies.