• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I imagine 15k-20k.. certainly no more then that

It will require cooperation with football to be possible IMO

T

TOCC

The only way their will be support if it is developed to be a home ground for a League team as well as the Reds. Labor will find it hard to give money to Union over League.

Nah really doubt It wiuld ve a primary home ground for those teams, in terms of scaled development the costs would jump significantly that’s why I think a capacity of 15k is more likely. It won’t be supported if it’s pitched to compete with Suncorp as a home ground to the pro teams, the discussions so far have been about a boutique stadium for those events I listed previously.. so rather then competing with, supplementing Suncorp with an additional boutique stadium

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...y/news-story/b39b48447d450514defb6a9d9ebca101
Super Rugby 2018: Reds coach Brad Thorn delivers brutal honesty
BRAD Thorn admits he’d have felt “embarrassed” if he was a Queensland Reds player after some of their limp performances in 2017. “That would hurt me, and I couldn’t tolerate that.”

I wonder what he did to change this in his role in the coaching set up. He seems to wash his hands of any responsibility he had in 2017.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
http://www.ballymore.com.au/

Info for the current DA, which has approval, but no source of funding.....
The ground is held in a grant of deed in trust with the QRU as trustee and must be used for sport and recreation which is presumably why you see all of the development opportunities labelled "Sports Related" Offices, "Sports Related" Education & Meeting Facilities
Boutique Stadium (currently 18,000 with planning permission to expand the stadium to 22,000) & high quality fields catering for both sporting and non-sporting events & community use

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It is such a shame that access to Ballymore is shit, always has been, always will be.

I love the history blah blah but is the venue the right choice for rugby, moving forward.

Great venue for training, administration etc but that's about it.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I'd rather the QRU sell Balleymore and buy Perry Park along with the Roar. After being spoilt for activities pre and post a Rugby game at Suncorp, why would the punters want to spend even more time travelling to Balleymore when there is absolutely nothing around it?

Build an indoor stadium that can utilise AC (and some huge arse solar panels) and we can have the 7s/10's up here in Brisbane in summer without fear of the heat.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'd rather the QRU sell Balleymore and buy Perry Park along with the Roar. After being spoilt for activities pre and post a Rugby game at Suncorp, why would the punters want to spend even more time travelling to Balleymore when there is absolutely nothing around it?

Build an indoor stadium that can utilise AC (and some huge arse solar panels) and we can have the 7s/10's up here in Brisbane in summer without fear of the heat.

QRU doesn't own Ballymore and can't sell it. It's state government owned land

half

Dick Tooth (41)
Ignoto
""""""rather the QRU sell Balleymore and buy Perry Park along with the Roar. After being spoilt for activities pre and post a Rugby game at Suncorp, why would the punters want to spend even more time travelling to Balleymore when there is absolutely nothing around it?

Build an indoor stadium that can utilise AC (and some huge arse solar panels) and we can have the 7s/10's up here in Brisbane in summer without fear of the heat."""""

I did some digging this morning on clubs wanting to join the A-League. Brisbane has two both former NSL clubs. The talk in the football community is one of these sides will get up and both currently play in Footballs National Premier League.

If the new club and the Roar play out of the same stadium add their W-League teams, they are looking at maybe 50 games a season at the stadium.

League is also talking about opening a second Brisbane team and according to what I read are looking at Logan City where the council will throw in a fair bit for a rugby league / football stadium.

Castle IMO is being very clever, and its the sort of leadership we have been missing, rather than let football and league get together she is offering something to get in the game. I think the term is proactive rather than our normal re-active.

The other thing mentioned by the football sites was and I have never heard of this a """Queensland Sporting Tax""" essentially once a crowd exceeds 5K, then the QLD gov charges for all tickets sold the cost of public transport to and from the game. Tis said to be a monster of a tax. Can OLD folk enlighten me what this is.

T

TOCC

Yoikes, so does the QLD Govt own the stadium as well, same with the Reds HQ?

Ballymore was granted to the QRU under a DOGIT(Deed of Grant in Trust) perpetual. The land is still state land, but granted to the QRU who are the trustee of the site, it’s not freehold title but it is freehold land, and still state land. Under the terms of the DOGIT and as trustees of the sight the QRU in essence own the land, but they can’t sell the land and they are subject to approvals on the land under the terms of which the DOGIT was granted. Which was for sport and recreation.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
QRU own the infrastructure - which is a massive drain on their finances and one of the reasons they've nearly gone broke a few times.
The massive drain you talk of is based on the dollar value of the depreciation of the asset eg stadium buildings Whilst this is an accounting loss it doesn’t affect the cash flow. Don’t talk down the value of Ballymore though as if you tried to rent 3 fields a gym, car parking and an office block this close to the city your cash flow would be massively affected. In fact you could argue the QRU/Reds could be homeless without it in its current Finacial position.

T

TOCC

The massive drain you talk of is based on the dollar value of the depreciation of the asset eg stadium buildings Whilst this is an accounting loss it doesn’t affect the cash flow. Don’t talk down the value of Ballymore though as if you tried to rent 3 fields a gym, car parking and an office block this close to the city your cash flow would be massively affected. In fact you could argue the QRU/Reds could be homeless without it in its current Finacial position.

Not just depreciation, there’s also an operational cost to maintaining a crumbling stadium, hence previous comments about the potential for parts of the stadium to be closed off in near the future for OH&S reasons. I imagine the insurance for the public liability over the facility is starting to grow significantly.

Yes renting equivalent facilities would cost much more, but they wouldn’t do that, more likely they would co-inhabit training facilities like the Waratahs with UNSW.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
For those who like this a little different. We have suggested a slight redesign (deletion of names) :)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I imagine 15k-20k.. certainly no more then that

It will require cooperation with football to be possible IMO

I feel like if they are redeveloping it they really try to should push it to 25k/30k with 20k being an absolute minimum. Keep in mind it has seated 22k, and currently can seats 18k. The Roar have had up to 18k in recent years. And the Reds regularly had more than 18k last year. Any boutique stadium would be a very long term project so building something not accounting for some growth isn't going to be an intelligent investment. (Mind you, I don't recall the last time a government made an intelligent investment.)
Regarding Ballymore being something to compete with Lang Park for a pro team; I have a few friends who work for various politicians (at various levels of government) and they have been saying for a few years now that the current situation with the Broncos, Reds and Roar all sharing Suncorp Stadium is very difficult and taking a real toll on the maintenance of the ground as well as scheduling. So it's somewhat necessary that we an alternative stadium to fill the overflow.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I feel like if they are redeveloping it they really try to should push it to 25k/30k with 20k being an absolute minimum. Keep in mind it has seated 22k, and currently can seats 18k. The Roar have had up to 18k in recent years. And the Reds regularly had more than 18k last year. Any boutique stadium would be a very long term project so building something not accounting for some growth isn't going to be an intelligent investment. (Mind you, I don't recall the last time a government made an intelligent investment.)
Regarding Ballymore being something to compete with Lang Park for a pro team; I have a few friends who work for various politicians (at various levels of government) and they have been saying for a few years now that the current situation with the Broncos, Reds and Roar all sharing Suncorp Stadium is very difficult and taking a real toll on the maintenance of the ground as well as scheduling. So it's somewhat necessary that we an alternative stadium to fill the overflow.

if the Reds and / or Roar left then Suncorp would require more concerts. You wait to see what result that has on the maintenance of the ground. Capacity of this project should be 20,000 unless they decide to build a train station next door....

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
If the government is funding a new stadium, (and at $50m+ no-one else is going to) and it' a choice between Perry Park and Ballymore, they should choose the one next to the train station every time.

T

TOCC

Ballymore is only 700m from Winston Train Station, well within the walk up catchment and is closer then Suncorp Stadium is to Roma St Station. The issue is, that incredibly there has never been a bridge or link across Breakfast Creek to make that walk possible.

The other factor is that Perry Park isn’t a liability for the QLD Govt going forward, but Ballymore potentially is if nothing is done with it. Yes QRU are the trustees currently, but if they can’t afford to maintain and improve it in the next few years, there’s every chance they may have to hand it back. In which case it does become the state governments responsibility.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There is a bridge at the end of Grandville St. Just needs some signage so people know where to go.

You would think with any redevelopment that a bus facility would be a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.