• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
anyone see this?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/brisbane-pushing-for-boutique-football-stadium-20180207-p4yznn

Brisbane Roar managing director David Pourre believes the opportunity is ripe to ensure the bid leaves behind a legacy in the form of a boutique stadium for men's and women's football if successful - an idea with tentative FFA support.

A-League chief Greg O'Rourke said this week it clear some teams were playing in stadia that were "too big" for them, with the Roar - who have an average attendance of 8,993 this season in the 52,500-seat Suncorp Stadium - a perfect example.

he problem is there are no alternatives in Brisbane.

Ballymore Stadium is old and decaying and would need significant investment to bring the 18,000-seat arena up to standard for A-League and W-League matches, while a rebuild of Perry Park has been discussed in previous years.

Interesting to see what the Reds would do, do you try to have a 25000 sell out every week and increase ticket prices as popularity grows or stick with 1/2 empty stadiums? If nothing else the Reds could be in a good position to get a great deal from Lang Park if they look set to leave. Lang Park could be scared they will only have the Broncos as a tenant and might offer the Reds cash to play there. I think the South Sydney Rabbitohs get $100,000 per game to play at ANZ no matter the crowd, if they get over 15000 they get bonus money based on numbers. I would be interested where a boutique stadium would be built to allow for decent public transport to the games.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting to see what the Reds would do, do you try to have a 25000 sell out every week and increase ticket prices as popularity grows or stick with 1/2 empty stadiums? If nothing else the Reds could be in a good position to get a great deal from Lang Park if they look set to leave. Lang Park could be scared they will only have the Broncos as a tenant and might offer the Reds cash to play there. I think the South Sydney Rabbitohs get $100,000 per game to play at ANZ no matter the crowd, if they get over 15000 they get bonus money based on numbers. I would be interested where a boutique stadium would be built to allow for decent public transport to the games.

There was plans for revamping Ballymore to be a sports development centre of excellence type thing - seems to have gone by the wayside which is a shame as there is clearly a need for a decent rectangular stadium that is smaller. ANZ pays all of the NRL teams that play there a guarantee- have seen figures up to $175k so it has been profitable for the teams to move there. Interesting article from a few years back on Sydney stadiums and the economics of where the teams play: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...pays-off-for-sydney-clubs-20140426-zr05p.html

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Realistically - 2 wins for the super rugby season.

The players are ill prepared (physically and mentally) for the coming season.

T

TOCC

anyone see this?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/brisbane-pushing-for-boutique-football-stadium-20180207-p4yznn

Brisbane Roar managing director David Pourre believes the opportunity is ripe to ensure the bid leaves behind a legacy in the form of a boutique stadium for men's and women's football if successful - an idea with tentative FFA support.

A-League chief Greg O'Rourke said this week it clear some teams were playing in stadia that were "too big" for them, with the Roar - who have an average attendance of 8,993 this season in the 52,500-seat Suncorp Stadium - a perfect example.

he problem is there are no alternatives in Brisbane.

Ballymore Stadium is old and decaying and would need significant investment to bring the 18,000-seat arena up to standard for A-League and W-League matches, while a rebuild of Perry Park has been discussed in previous years.

Yeah I read the article and its an interesting issue, and agree Brisbane probably needs a boutique style stadium in the next 10 or so years. where the funding eventually goes will be a politicised issue though. Perry Park probable makes more sense in terms of accessibility via Bowen Hills Train Station, and its adjacent to a few major main roads. However Ballymore has more space and arguably I think access can be improved without any significant investments. Wilston Train Station is only 600m away from Ballymore but there is no direct access to the station across breakfast creek.

QRU have tried to parcel up the land for potential investors and were calling for EOI's at the beginning of last year: http://www.ballymore.com.au, however due to the zoning restrictions they are limited in what they can develop.

Big issue for the QRU is that Ballymore Stadium will require significant investment in the next 5years, it's decaying to the point that I wouldn't be surprised to see parts of the stands closed off due to health and safety issues in the near future. Queensland Government would be well aware of this as well, and they can't just pretend that its not their issue because a stadium is a community asset and if the QRU can't fund the repair, then inevitably it will fall back to the government.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Realistically - 2 wins for the super rugby season.

The players are ill prepared (physically and mentally) for the coming season.

I can’t “like” that post. But I recognise it as the most realistic assessment here so far.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

You move to the appropriately sized stadium every time.

T

TOCC

Well after day 2 I do feel a bit better about the Reds chances in 2018, it wasn't a dire as Day 1.

Perese is an absolute star, however like mentioned previously he tends to shoot out of the line occasionally in defence opening up space out wide if he misses.

Paenga-Amosa looks to be a quality signing, and can see why they are talking about him been starting hooker come round 1.

Daugunu had some hot/cold moments, obviously very talented but still learning the technicalities of the game, can't see him as starting fullback.

Stewart, there's been a lot of expectation of Stewart on here lately, but he is still young bloke and doesn't yet control the players around like like you need. I don't see him running the backline from Rd1.

Kerevi, another hot/cold, had poor ball security at times and a few mis-reads defensively, always a thread but I kind of expected a bit more from him given his experience.

Harry Hoopert played well, Ngaumanu had a good day 2 after a shocker on day 1, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Hewat are a bit Shatz-esque, Teti Tela didnt look out of place.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Well after day 2 I do feel a bit better about the Reds chances in 2018, it wasn't a dire as Day 1.

Perese is an absolute star, however like mentioned previously he tends to shoot out of the line occasionally in defence opening up space out wide if he misses.

Paenga-Amosa looks to be a quality signing, and can see why they are talking about him been starting hooker come round 1.

Daugunu had some hot/cold moments, obviously very talented but still learning the technicalities of the game, can't see him as starting fullback.

Stewart, there's been a lot of expectation of Stewart on here lately, but he is still young bloke and doesn't yet control the players around like like you need. I don't see him running the backline from Rd1.

Kerevi, another hot/cold, had poor ball security at times and a few mis-reads defensively, always a thread but I kind of expected a bit more from him given his experience.

Harry Hoopert played well, Ngaumanu had a good day 2 after a shocker on day 1, ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and Hewat are a bit Shatz-esque, Teti Tela didnt look out of place.

I feel like the biggest issues with day 1 weren't the player performances but that the side was really playing 15's with 10.
I do really like Paenga-Amosa, in my opinion Ready is still the number 1 choice but it's getting very tight. Ready did have a pretty good tournament too.
Can't agree more about Perese, he was forced to showed a nice kicking game too. He's much better but still lacking a little maturity / composure but he's 20 years old I'm quite sure that will come with time. Get him in a Gold Jersey already! Also I was just reading an article that was speculating Perese might be playing fullback, I think for him that would be a brilliant move because he's too skilled to say a winger his whole career (not so sure about it as a move for the Reds).

I don't think we can read too much into the control of the backline displayed by Stewart in inherently disorganised 10's. He also didn't often play with Tuttle and DP is also missing who will bring a lot of composure to the backline. But it would have been nice to have a transition period with Stewart playing under someone with 100 odd Super Rugby caps and maybe a few international caps, but apparently we don't have anyone like that kicking around the reds or in Club Rugby. :p At this point I'd give Stewart a few games, although I'm not sure we'd really have too much choice. Plus Thorn strikes me as a 'learn on the job' kind of guy.

I do agree we need to see more from Kerevi. When he's at his best he's among the best 13's in the world! But too often he's a little average, also he needs to really work on his defence, I've been defencive of his defence in the past but today I counted 2 tries that were probably imminent but Kerevi could have done more. I'm disappointed we didn't see CFS in the Squad to get that competition in the squad.

I really rate Hoopert he looks very good (also someone with Wikipedia experiance want to bring back his Wiki article PLZ?!). IIRC he's had knee injuries or something so that's a concern but he's looking really good.
I'd also add Tupou was quite average (not bad, just average). Tupou could find himself coming off the bench with Hoopert if Tupou doesn't lift his game and if Hoopert keeps up the good work.

I'm not a massive fan of Maranta nor of Ngamanu. But Ngamanu did play well, I just think he's too small and not quite quick enough for Super Rugby mind you he is only 20.

As for the other guys: Angus Blyth and Harry Hockings both looked really good. And Blyth has grown a HEAP! Angus Scott-Young was fairly anonymous, I didn't notice him at least. Reece Hewat doesn't have all the physical tools of some of the guys ahead of him but he's a really really smart player I hope he develops physically, adds a bit of speed and maybe a little stronger but he's going to have a really nice career.

Tate McDermott IMO has kicked himself out of the bench spot, although he did have more influence than Sorovi. It's pretty close to pick who the bench halfback will be but I'd go with Sorovi at the moment just because he'll be less erratic. Jooste could be a pick for utility back on the bench, he looked quite nice and could slot into 15 and is definitely one to watch.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Personally I thought To'omua did great at 10, but played his best team rugby at 12 outside of Quade. Pretty disappointed that didn't continue longer.

There's quite a few who played their best at 12 outside of QC (Quade Cooper). Pity this year is only the south's 12 who is going to benefit

Reactions: dru

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Anyway you look at it Kerevi was terrible. His ball security and general rugby shills are deficient for a Super rugby player, let alone a Wallaby.

Kerevi's only strength has been his blockbusting running game (once he has the ball tucked under his arm). When he first entered the scene he was quite awesome because nobody knew him and how he played - made huge metres.

Now, opposition know his game and diffused it. Samu has been unable to combat by becoming a "skilled" offloader.

Some will give the excuse that it's his first games in a new season. Trouble is, that this has been happening for a couple of years.

Shit AND I haven't even raised the subject of his defence ( and most posters seem to validly critical of). He needs some work

Can only imagine the Teams frustration.

On the other hand the "find" for me was the resurgence of Andrew Ready. Before the Tens he was out of the mix altogether. IMO he has now become the front runner with terrific performances over the last couple of days. His challenge will be putting behind him all the "head" shit he has himself experienced since the arrival of Moore at Ballymore.

Team showed some good positives..

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
To me 10s absolutely suits the high mobility backrowers over the grafters eg. Higs > Hanigan, but I think the 2018 versions of Browning and Schatz -
ASY (Angus Scott-Young) & Hewat still showed they are very lucky to have full professional contracts so early in there career. I know you have to keep the homegrown young talent, but I think Tai Ford thoroughly outplayed both of them and would happily see him get game time before they do (even if they are all down the pecking order)

Tupou wasn't outstandingly epic, but that guy was alllllll over the park, only matched IMO by 23 yr old Southafrican brick Mees Erasmus, as the most effective props for Australian teams. Tupou was savage every time in contact. Always looking to hurt the people he is tackling or who are tackling him.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
After watching Hamish over the weekend I can understand why Brad has given him the nod for the 10 jersey this year. He looks like a more rounded player than QC (Quade Cooper), offensively and defensively he look promising. That's not to say I agree at all with Brads handling of the situation or that Quade would be a useful addition and cover to the reds this year.

Strangely enough, most of the Reds first string seemed to be rested yesterday. Slips, Higgers, Duncan, Douglas, Tui etc didn't seem to be at the grounds?

T

TOCC

Raelene Castle up in QLD ago discuss the future of Ballymore with the QLD Government... it’s good to see the ARU finally recognise their is a fantastic asset up in QLD. I guess now that the Sydney based board members have their new gold plated office building at Moore Park they will finally consider supporting a bid for developing Ballymore.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Raelene Castle up in QLD ago discuss the future of Ballymore with the QLD Government. it’s good to see the ARU finally recognise their is a fantastic asset up in QLD. I guess now that the Sydney based board members have their new gold plated office building at Moore Park they will finally consider supporting a bid for developing Ballymore.

But for what? A training facility?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Raelene Castle up in QLD ago discuss the future of Ballymore with the QLD Government. it’s good to see the ARU finally recognise their is a fantastic asset up in QLD. I guess now that the Sydney based board members have their new gold plated office building at Moore Park they will finally consider supporting a bid for developing Ballymore.

The only way their will be support if it is developed to be a home ground for a League team as well as the Reds. Labor will find it hard to give money to Union over League.

Status
Not open for further replies.