• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Why would Fisher make a good Head Coach? - he didn't make the finals in four years as HC with the Brumbies and hasn't done anything as the current HC at Gloucester. He also struggled at Munster as forwards coach and was basically shown the door. From what I gather he has one short stint as an assistant to Jake White where the Brumbies lost the Super final but it seems he is the Messiah? Am I missing something?

He's obviously just a very naughty boy...... (No messiah quote can be let past without such a MP (Moana Pasifika) reference)

Technically Fischer was a very good forwards coach and the Brumbies in those years you mentioned were well turned out in terms of forwards play. They were deficient in terms of back play however. As for making the finals with White, I'd put that down to the limitations of the White plan as much as anything else.

I am not convinced that Stiles has done as well with the Reds forwards this year as away from the set piece I have thought them pretty ordinary, and even the set piece has been wobbly against the better sides.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The forwards have been the "least worst" part of the Reds, though. The ruck work is average, sure.

But MOC's areas, backs, attack and defence, has been shocking. What was unbelievable was the article(s) saying that MOC was favourite for the head coach job when his areas of responsibility are the worst performing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think the worst thing they could have done was to appoint the two of them CIHC's. Now the mud from this season sticks to both guys and they can claim that it was because they didn't have total control.

I also think it's interesting the players coming out in support of Stiles as I know he gives it to them at training on occasions. I guess they respond well to someone setting high standards. Apparently not a word is said when a ball is dropped in passing drills.

dru

David Wilson (68)
From recollection out of the various news reports:

1. MOC had the most comprehensive plan
2. Stiles has the support of the players, at least the outgoing players and QC (Quade Cooper)
3. Lancaster impressed by turning up in person
4. Apparently the other internationals didnt, think Blackadder (if he's on the list), Fisher, and Matt Taylor
5. ARU involvement seems to skew toward an Aussie, possible match with MOC/Stiles to Perth picking up the Reds cast-offs which should keep the colloquial WA supporters just peachy
6. Fisher wants to coach at international level, job might be a stepping stone? ARU might like it?
7. Blackadder connections seem most real to Europe, has Aus got much of a chance?

Were I a betting man I'd suggest MOC to Force, either Stiles or Fisher to Reds. Taylor an outside chance.

BD75

Frank Row (1)
From recollection out of the various news reports:

1. MOC had the most comprehensive plan
2. Stiles has the support of the players, at least the outgoing players and QC (Quade Cooper)
3. Lancaster impressed by turning up in person
4. Apparently the other internationals didnt, think Blackadder (if he's on the list), Fisher, and Matt Taylor
5. ARU involvement seems to skew toward an Aussie, possible match with MOC/Stiles to Perth picking up the Reds cast-offs which should keep the colloquial WA supporters just peachy
6. Fisher wants to coach at international level, job might be a stepping stone? ARU might like it?
7. Blackadder connections seem most real to Europe, has Aus got much of a chance?

Were I a betting man I'd suggest MOC to Force, either Stiles or Fisher to Reds. Taylor an outside chance.
I really hope the Force dont go down the route of appointing one of the co-interim coaches for the Reds if they dont get the Reds HC job, especially MOC as you suggest. I think it would send a poor message, be a very bad look and be a shit start to what could be a new beginning, to appoint the slops from the Reds as the new HC for the Force. You would think they learnt that lesson with Foley - if it looks like a turd and smells like a turd, its probably a turd.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think the worst thing they could have done was to appoint the two of them CIHC's. Now the mud from this season sticks to both guys and they can claim that it was because they didn't have total control.

I also think it's interesting the players coming out in support of Stiles as I know he gives it to them at training on occasions. I guess they respond well to someone setting high standards. Apparently not a word is said when a ball is dropped in passing drills.

I THINK Holnes is the only player to have come out and supported Stiles. I don't include QC (Quade Cooper) as he ain't a Red (yet)

Hopefully Taylor gets a good hearing.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I THINK Holnes is the only player to have come out and supported Stiles. I don't include QC (Quade Cooper) as he ain't a Red (yet)

Hopefully Taylor gets a good hearing.

I havent been able to read the report where QC (Quade Cooper) supports Stiles yet.

Increasingly, I have to agree with Taylor being given a good shot.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
One consideration with Fisher is what happens with his Gloucester deal? Can or would he leave early?

If he fulfils his Gloucester deal the last regular season game is 6 May 2017. That's a fair way in to the Super Rugby 2017 season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One consideration with Fisher is what happens with his Gloucester deal? Can or would he leave early?

If he fulfils his Gloucester deal the last regular season game is 6 May 2017. That's a fair way in to the Super Rugby 2017 season.

If he's a candidate, presumably he has an exit clause in his contract. Presumably that would be either Super Rugby head coach or international coach.

Reactions: mst

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I havent been able to read the report where QC (Quade Cooper) supports Stiles yet.

Increasingly, I have to agree with Taylor being given a good shot.

here you go:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...7/news-story/97bc75aa455a9bdc4dcf77aaba269819

Cooper admitted he would like to see Nick Stiles, one of the two co-coaches, given the job.
“I’d love that. I’d love to see him have that opportunity. Everything I want in a coach and in a mentor, he has those qualities,” Cooper said. “So I’d be excited to work under Stilesy and build a relationship moving forward.”
Indeed, he indicated the Reds’ choice could sway his decision on where to play in 2017.
“I’ve got a good relationship with him and if he gets the nod then it’s probably something that would swing in my favour,” he said.
Cooper formed his impressions of Stiles during the four National Rugby Championship games he played under him in the 2014 season.
“It’s what he did in terms of culture and how he was able to unite the guys, guys who were professionals or club players or guys like me when I was coming back from injury for a few games to get back into the Wallabies,” Cooper said.
“Everyone felt like they had a role. I didn’t feel like I was coming in there as a Wallaby for two games and then leaving. I really felt part of the team.
“I still felt that way watching from overseas, following the live stream on a laptop.”

but just to add to the mix:

But Cooper admitted he also could work with the other leading contender for the job, co-coach Matt O’Connor.
“I spoke to Gits (Matt Giteau) about him … he said he was very technical and that I would really enjoy his coaching,” Cooper said.
“Really, in terms of the head coach, I’m more interested in seeing where the culture is going to go.
“That’s the most important quality, whether the coach is able to manage the group and the individuals and be able to get good assistants around him.”

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'd love to see Taylor back at the Reds in any capacity. I'd also like to see Laurie Fisher.
I'm not keen on O'Connor and I'm a big fan of Stiles but I'm not sure how he'd go as a head coach. I know he coached Brisbane city in the NRC but is that enough?

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
It genuinely concerns me that the process is still on-going.

They should have had enough data on MOC and Stiles from their applications less than 12 months ago.

Not sure I want Lancaster, but surely he is 10 levels ahead of the next candidate. Had a bad World Cup yes, but rest of tenure was successful and a strong history of player development.

The other Aussie candidates would be agreeable if they go that way.

But given the organisations recent history, I can't see them getting it right.

This decision goes far beyond just the coach. Last week had to be the smallest Reds crowd ever. Hope is required as much as anything else.

Also, Tatts was in town recently, so not sure why he wouldn't have interviewed in person.

I wonder if he hasn't put some of the board off-side in the past. Didn't even get a look in last year (granted he missed out to the greatest defensive coach known to man, but still).

Homegrown, came through pathway (and while accelerated, he earned everything unlike RG), had success as an assistant (Super Rugby and Pro12 titles), went away and had success at international level, strong history of player development, excellent defensive coach (an area we lack), popular with players and fans. Worked under and alongside the likes of Link, Vern Cotter, McKay, Townsend, Emtage, Scott Johnson.

Makes sense to me.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Anyone know if Adrian Thompson applied for the role of HC of the Reds?

He has had a fair bit of time in charge of the Aust U20's and is the head of ARU HPU, and he is Queensland based. Ticks many of the boxes.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Anyone know if Adrian Thompson applied for the role of HC of the Reds?

He has had a fair bit of time in charge of the Aust U20's and is the head of ARU HPU, and he is Queensland based. Ticks many of the boxes.

Whilst appointing Thompson as HC of the Reds would be entirely possible given many of the appalling institutional practices at the heart of Australian rugby governance, such a step would ensure the QRU's second de facto bankruptcy in under a decade.

But perhaps you penned this here more for sly amusement than genuine conjecture. Indeed, so I would hope.

Reactions: mst

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

I'm not too sure if I'm reading into something that's not there, but Cooper seemed to focus on the 'culture' side of a coach quite a bit. Granted the culture at the Reds has gone down the shitter since Link left, but these two have been around long enough to help direct or instill what they think the culture should be.

Stiles was around in 2014/15 so he should have had a big say in how to shape the culture while MOC has had close to a year to contribute. So, what about them being given the HC role would mean the status quo would change?

Status
Not open for further replies.