• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Mayhap. But aside from calling him prickly, which I think is a fair call, how have I assassinated his character? I made no value judgment on the conflict between coach and player. People are allowed to disagree on issues and I'm sure we've all worked with someone we can't stand and relate to professional disagreements. I don't consider that a character flaw.

As Scoey said, not entirely tenuous.

You have suggested he assaulted a coach because he pulled our of a deal and in your opinion is prickly. That sounds like character assassination and defamation to me.

He was a Reds player at the time so it is possible. I could also come up with equally valid arguments based on weak evidence for other players. As a result personal attacks are much better left unsaid.

T

Train Without a Station

Somebody did it allegedly.

Forcefield merely suggested who he thought it was, specifying that was just his thoughts, and then explaining what lead him to that conclusion.

Almost certain that's not character assassination.

Considering it was allegedly a high profile player it already limits it to about 5 people.

I see merit in his hypothesis. But either Chook didn't hold a grudge considering he publicly called for Genia and Cooper to be selected for the Wallabies later, or that rules him and Cooper out.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Two interesting tidbits in today's Australian (to get around the paywall, just copy the blurb into a google search).

1. Quade would like Stiles to be head coach
2. Laurie Fisher is rumoured to be in strong contention

There seems to be a lot of player support for Stiles, for what that's worth. Stiles taking head coach (and presumably set-piece) responsibilities seems to be a popular choice with players. Should we read anything into the fact that there has been no comparable declarations of support for MOC?

Probably not, but this is the internet.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Somebody did it allegedly.

Forcefield merely suggested who he thought it was, specifying that was just his thoughts, and then explaining what lead him to that conclusion.

Almost certain that's not character assassination.

Considering it was allegedly a high profile player it already limits it to about 5 people.

I see merit in his hypothesis. But either Chook didn't hold a grudge considering he publicly called for Genia and Cooper to be selected for the Wallabies later, or that rules him and Cooper out.

I'm just asking if it is healthy. We currently have Will possibly knocking on the door of a return. Personally I think we are fine with Frisbey, but I do feel this sort of discussion is somewhat ill-timed.

On the basis of discussion here I have to agree that Chook could be a fantastic re-signing.

I presume that Tatsy Taylor is Matt Taylor in Scotland and on the list of 7?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Two interesting tidbits in today's Australian (to get around the paywall, just copy the blurb into a google search).

There seems to be a lot of player support for Stiles, for what that's worth. Stiles taking head coach (and presumably set-piece) responsibilities seems to be a popular choice with players. Should we read anything into the fact that there has been no comparable declarations of support for MOC?

I interpreted it as more he would be happy if Stiles was Head Coach, rather then giving him is out and out vote. Through the wording Quade used in that everyone had a clear role in the NRC, I'd assume that Quade was given a fair deal of leadership and freedom to run the plays and tactics. Stiles was supported by Holmes as a great forwards coach, but other support has limited it to clearly as a strong set piece coach with good cultural aspects. A coach like that would most likely allow Quade a large degree of independence.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Problem with Stiles is that he has never been a part of a successful franchise, even in the capacity of Assistant Coach. ( Force and Reds)

People hold him up there for his set piece success at the Reds. Simmons totally runs the lineout, training and otherwise. Slipper and Holmes run the scrum, two of the most experienced props in Australia. Gill, Shatz, Browning, Tui, Douglas and Simmons are all experienced.

The younger props and hooker like Sef, Tupou and Ready learn from those older blokes (by packing down time and time again at training) and by being thrown into the action. Ready has been a standout and the other two, aren't real shabby either.

I think to a large degree Stiles place on the pedestal is largely unwarranted.

There are plenty of questions re appointing the bloke as HC.

Am still hoping for another, particularly now that Blackadder seems lost to the cause.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Donald Trump knows good 5/8th's. He has all the best 5/8th's. His 5/8th's are excellent.

We're going to build this 5/8th and we're going to make NSW pay for it.

We're also going to have a temporary ban of all NSW players entering Queensland ;)

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Problem with Stiles is that he has never been a part of a successful franchise, even in the capacity of Assistant Coach. ( Force and Reds)

People hold him up there for his set piece success at the Reds. Simmons totally runs the lineout, training and otherwise. Slipper and Holmes run the scrum, two of the most experienced props in Australia. Gill, Shatz, Browning, Tui, Douglas and Simmons are all experienced.

The younger props and hooker like Sef, Tupou and Ready learn from those older blokes (by packing down time and time again at training) and by being thrown into the action. Ready has been a standout and the other two, aren't real shabby either.

I think to a large degree Stiles place on the pedestal is largely unwarranted.

There are plenty of questions re appointing the bloke as HC.

Am still hoping for another, particularly now that Blackadder seems lost to the cause.

Our scrum in 2014 was much improved from 2013

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

How about this?
Nick Stiles: Head coach & 'assistant forwards coach' (i.e. set piece coach)
Laurie Fisher: Forwards coach
Attack coach: Jim McKay
Defence coach: Matt Taylor
S & C coach: Damian Marsh
Kicking & skills coach: Mick Byrne

Who would like that as the reds coaching staff?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Donald Trump knows good 5/8th's. He has all the best 5/8th's. His 5/8th's are excellent.

We're going to build this 5/8th and we're going to make NSW pay for it.
Some would say he knows 3/5ths of 5/8ths.
If he gets to be El Predidente, then well may we say God save the USA.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Because if it was permanent, TSS would never win a game of footy, and Queensland Teams finishing 5th/6th and lower at Schoolboy National Championships would become the new normal. :)

You misunderstand where we build the wall. Just this side of Grafton, I think.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You have suggested he assaulted a coach because he pulled our of a deal and in your opinion is prickly. That sounds like character assassination and defamation to me.

He was a Reds player at the time so it is possible. I could also come up with equally valid arguments based on weak evidence for other players. As a result personal attacks are much better left unsaid.
Assaulted a coach? I didn't say anything like that. I said I assumed they had a professional difference of opinion and he said he no longer wanted to work with him. We'll have to agree to disagree re character assassination and defamation. Saying you think someone is prickly is neither, in my opinion.

But Dru is right, perhaps it is not healthy to speculate on something that is done and dusted. Why don't we leave the conversation there?

On the Stiles issue, I liked him at the Force- thought he did a good job. I worry, though, that he is similar to Michael Foley in being a really good forwards coach but might not be suited to the role of head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.