• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Assault can be verbal, which in this case it was, if what is deemed as a threat can actually be done. So a big guy having a rant about his mate getting pinched in fortitude valley for using the pathway as a urinal (never ever happens...) is deemed assaulting police.

I think he will sit out training, he won't end up being convicted of a criminal offence and it will all be ok in the end....just not in time for round 1

Tui, Houston and Smith for the start!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Just to play Devil's Advocate.

Should players be sacked / suspended for speeding (as we all probably been pinged).

The reasoning behind fining speeding drivers is that by doing so the offender is placing members of the public at risk of serious injury or even death without the added risk of property damage.

I think saying to a Police Officer " Mate, why are you pinging my mate?" or "You're as weak as piss for grabbing my mate" is less of a danger to the public or even the copper than a speeding driver.

Some precincts like the Valley, Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise have a "zero tolerance" in which the Police are exceptionally heavy handed to all except those of an original ethnicity.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slim
If he did that then he is a rabbit and deserves what he gets.
My understanding is that he raised his hand/arm in front of him as one often does when making a point.

The CCTV whether in the street or the Police Station will determine that. Of course, if the footage does not flatter or support the police view, often it seems to be not working properly.

We shall see what develops

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just to play Devil's Advocate.

Should players be sacked / suspended for speeding (as we all probably been pinged).

Speeding isn't a criminal offence (unless it involves a dangerous driving charge).

That's the big difference here. He's reportedly been charged with a criminal offence.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Need to backtrack from the assault charge for a moment and pose a question that puzzles me.

"Why do you get arrested for public urination? Wouldn't a on the spot fine be suffice"

Are our lock ups filled with people urinating in the valley? Are police officers waiting for their commander in chief to turn up to the precint "Look boss, successful night our cells are at capacity"

back alley urinating is a victimless crime. I'd rather cops on the beat rather then a reason to go back to the watchhouse for more donuts.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It really depends on the copper.

If h BELIEVES that your speeding is dangerous (to the public) then he will charge you accordingly.

More lives are destroyed by speeding drivers than by mouthing off to a copper.

Try and take some high moral ground here Braveheart.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I know all this speculation is indirectly linked to rugby, which believe it or not is the main reason for this forum, can we forget about pissing in an ally and return to rugby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know all this speculation is indirectly linked to rugby, which believe it or not is the main reason for this forum, can we forget about pissing in an ally and return to rugby?

to be honest, this is a fairly significant incident and has a potential impact on QLD season. The conversation seems appropriate in my eyes.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
SouthernX

I agree with the "thrust" of your post but I also think public urination is about another Public Interest argument re the exposing the "one eyed trouser snake" in public which would cause mayhem, public disgust, rioting and even affray.

Personally it shouldn't be done in "public" and certainly not in front of ladies - those cases should be charged/

But if the bloke has slipped down an alley or into the bushes etc to relieve himself then he shouldn't be charged as he has tried to do the right thing (and there may not be any latrines in close proximity)

I would be surprised if we all haven't done so on the odd occasion (although I make no admissions:))

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Then say something related to rugby that people can riff off and not just "let's talk about rugby".

Be the change you want to see in the world!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It really depends on the copper.

If h BELIEVES that your speeding is dangerous (to the public) then he will charge you accordingly.

More lives are destroyed by speeding drivers than by mouthing off to a copper.

Try and take some high moral ground here Braveheart.

What does this have to do with moral high ground?

Sure if you have a high range speeding offence then it could have a dangerous driving charge attached but the overwhelming majority of all driving offences are civil penalties not criminal.

I can pretty much guarantee that if he'd been charged with a speeding offence he wouldn't have been arrested and subsequently wouldn't have been stood down from the Reds.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
to be honest, this is a fairly significant incident and has a potential impact on QLD season. The conversation seems appropriate in my eyes.
Agreed it is significant but it is also just all speculation a the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH

You just totally missed the point but that's OK

If your point was that speeding kills more people than mouthing off at police officers then I am not sure how it relates.

The only relevant information in this situation is that he has been charged with assaulting police.

If all that happened was he shouted at a police officer then I think there is a strong chance the charge will ultimately be dropped. The Reds and ARU can only really work with the situation they have right now which is that they know a charge has been laid and not much else.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nothing like a Reds scandal before the season starts. I hoped that this year was the year that It would have been a incident and injury free.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Has anyone been close enough to training for the 10s to have an idea of how they are addressing the halves channel? DP or Jake at FH?

Status
Not open for further replies.