• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I hesitate to bring a sky blue shade to a Reds thread, but, Hanigan played bloody well on his debut tonight. Apart from one spilled pill. He's a keeper.
I thought he made a few other mistakes - but may well have been wrong.

My choice to highlight Hanigan was deliberately hypocritical to point out the problem with making assessments of very limited sampling, as I realise he is very highly rated.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
No chance at all that Jones will get another Rugby gig in Oz. Ability and ethics matter not at all when somebody has broken ranks against the network and needed/required/obliged or not those who break ranks are not to be trusted or employed.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As for the Greene v McIntyre debate, two kicks missed from the hand are a damning indictment in a battle between two players with not much between them. Add in the fact that unless the backline offers more in the way of options nobody will make a difference. Without the running option of Kerevi the Reds looked remarkably similar to the Force and Brumbies, very easily defended.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tragically probably true. Would think that the board would be wary of appointing anybody too obviously old-boys-y, given the RG dramas. Then again, maybe they don't care, now that the dust has settled.

T

TOCC

Id like the Reds to chase him, but the NRL clubs will be throwing a fair bit of cash his way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Problem is the Reds isn't the right place for him right now - unless we ditch two of Mason, Greene & McIntyre and pick up an experienced 10 to mentor him for a year or two until he is ready.

T

TOCC

I could be wrong but when he was at Churchie, Mason was the 5/8 and Ponga played fullback.. Would you sign him as a fullback or a fly half?

Jason Gilmore is coach of the QLD U20s and also coached Ponga when he was at Churchie, so I'd expect that they will at least put the feelers out to Ponga.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You are right TOCC. And Perese in there too at 13 I think.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
I could be wrong but when he was at Churchie, Mason was the 5/8 and Ponga played fullback.. Would you sign him as a fullback or a fly half?

Jason Gilmore is coach of the QLD U20s and also coached Ponga when he was at Churchie, so I'd expect that they will at least put the feelers out to Ponga.

Definitely as a fullback or an outside back. Although there has been talk of Ponga moving to the halves in the future, his best position in union would be wing or fullback for now.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

All correct TOCC. The Reds put out feelers when Ponga was playing at 15 at Churchie - where he was nothing short of extraordinarily good (see the YT highlights reel when he was at Churchie, c.600k views by now). The question though is: how competently were those feelers put out in the RG era of 2013-4? In that period, the QRU's approach to astute medium-term recruitment planning was at the very least of debatable quality.

FWIW, I actually think Ponga's skills are even more suited to rugby than league.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
All correct TOCC. The Reds put out feelers when Ponga was playing at 15 at Churchie - where he was nothing short of extraordinarily good (see the YT highlights reel when he was at Churchie, c.600k views by now). The question though is: how competently were those feelers put out in the RG era of 2013-4? In that period, the QRU's approach to astute medium-term recruitment planning was at the very least of debatable quality.

FWIW, I actually think Ponga's skills are even more suited to rugby than league.
Meh. His highlights are all the same. Beats man. Scores. Beats man. Scores. Beats man. Scores. He needs to mix it up a bit more. Maybe some Falcons.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jimmy Tucker reporting both Hunt and Saia are unlikely to play this weekend.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
That's going to make the game even harder. I thought after seeing the rubbish the Canes served up against the Shorks, combined with a long flight home, it might be closer this week than last week. But Hunt's one of the few line-benders in the current setup other than Kerevi.

Laloifi or Goru to start at 15 I wonder?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Give Greene the starting spot for a few weeks - then decide whether to pick one and let the other go. The way I feel ATM McIntyre is just not up to this level. He has failed to improve despite all the starting spots he has had.

CFS should be gone. He just doesn't seem interested in playing rugby at this level or it would seem to put in the hard work, particularly the mental game necessary.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Goro to start and Junior to take CFS's wing spot.

It's become glaring obvious that without Kerevi we have next to no penetration in the backs and if you remove Hunt as well we will have precisely zero penetration. We need to change things up a bit. I think we need a ball player (Paia-aua) in at 12 if we are to continue with Jake but I don't think we can have a midfield of him and Magnay, so Ant would have to shift to 13.

Alternatively, we could start Greene and the midfield remain the same from last week. Better yet, try somehting completely different and go with:

9. Frisby
10. Greene
11. Nabuli
12. Paia-aua
13. Fainga'a
14. Laloifi
15. Goromaru

21. Tuttle
22. Magnay
23. McIntyre

I know we don't have a lot to work with but I think we should really be working to find/develop something in the backs that doesn't just rely on one bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.