• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting to note both Higginbotham and Houston are strong in talks with the Reds. If they share both can Tui play 7?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd take Higgers over Houston personally but can see big advantages in both. I guess the writings on the wall for Shatz, he might want to move to Europe or Japan.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
So who are our back rowers that we have signed for next season?

Tui
Timu
Korczyk?
Browning?
Gunn?

And potentially Higgers and Houston. Would like to see a back-up seven signed, especially if we could get an old head to pass on some wisdom to Gunn.

T

TOCC

I'd take Higgers over Houston personally but can see big advantages in both. I guess the writings on the wall for Shatz, he might want to move to Europe or Japan.

I don't see them competing for the same position, Houston is a traditional 8 and Higgers is a blindside who can also play 8.

Reds need a traditional style 8, someone who can bend the line, win the collision and get over the advantage line. Houston fills this requirement, Higgers doesn't.

T

TOCC

So who are our back rowers that we have signed for next season?

Tui
Timu
Korczyk?
Browning?
Gunn?

And potentially Higgers and Houston. Would like to see a back-up seven signed, especially if we could get an old head to pass on some wisdom to Gunn.

Gunn, Timu and Korczyk are signed until 2018, Tui is signed for 2017.

Browning is off contract and looking overseas. Unsure about Shatz.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That would be a recipe for disaster, frankly.

Not necessarily. Whilst I would prefer a strong fetcher type 7, Australia is one of the few Unions that place such absolute importance of the 7 being first and foremost a fetcher.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Not necessarily. Whilst I would prefer a strong fetcher type 7, Australia is one of the few Unions that place such absolute importance of the 7 being first and foremost a fetcher.

Are we Scoey?

Don't think Hooper is considered such. Pocock maybe, Gill maybe but the other bloke's got the gig.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the new HC, whoever that may be and whenever that may also be, should have some input into future signings ??????

You can't put everything on hold until someone is appointed otherwise your current players go elsewhere and the players you want to sign end up not being available.

This is why it is often said that it takes two or three years for a coach to really get his own squad.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You can't put everything on hold until someone is appointed otherwise your current players go elsewhere and the players you want to sign end up not being available.

This is why it is often said that it takes two or three years for a coach to really get his own squad.

Fair call.

We have had the vacancy for about 8 weeks and probably a shortlist of coaches prior to Richards' "retirement".

Suppose I am guilty of wanting the Reds to move on (quickly)
But as they often say, More haste, less speed.

T

TOCC

Need to appoint the CEO before they appoint the coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fair call.

We have had the vacancy for about 8 weeks and probably a shortlist of coaches prior to Richards' "retirement".

Suppose I am guilty of wanting the Reds to move on (quickly)
But as they often say, More haste, less speed.

You've also had the CEO and Chairman announce that they were stepping down.

If there's any chance that one of the co-coaches is going to get the head coach gig next year then it makes sense to have a good look at how they go in the role (albeit sharing it) before reaching a decision.

The European Rugby season is also still going so potentially most of the likely candidates from Europe won't know they they need a job yet.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You've also had the CEO and Chairman announce that they were stepping down.

If there's any chance that one of the co-coaches is going to get the head coach gig next year then it makes sense to have a good look at how they go in the role (albeit sharing it) before reaching a decision.

The European Rugby season is also still going so potentially most of the likely candidates from Europe won't know they they need a job yet.

Trouble with that scenario is that we wait until the end of the season and if Stiles is not going to be appointed (IMO, MOC is a no-go) then the process begins in ernest. More delay.

Hopefully the HC role is filled in the next few weeks (whether or not it is publicly announced or not) and he / she can have some input into retention and signings of new players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Trouble with that scenario is that we wait until the end of the season and if Stiles is not going to be appointed (IMO, MOC is a no-go) then the process begins in ernest. More delay.

Hopefully the HC role is filled in the next few weeks (whether or not it is publicly announced or not) and he / she can have some input into retention and signings of new players.

I don't think you wait until the end of the Super Rugby season to really start the search.

It's more about waiting until the end of May when European rugby has wrapped up to work out who is available.

Outside of Stiles and O'Connor it would seem unlikely that there is another candidate already in Australia.

I'd assume that the potential candidates already have a head coaching gig elsewhere or are an assistant at test level. It would seem strange to hire an assistant coach for the role that isn't Stiles or O'Connor.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
You'll note that not many critics of Hooper come from the Tah supporters in here who seem to be coping admirably under sufferance with his attempts to imitate a genuine 7.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
You'll note that not many critics of Hooper come from the Tah supporters in here who seem to be coping admirably under sufferance with his attempts to imitate a genuine 7.

We're pretty content with having the openside flanker that pushed the best openside in the world out of position:) couldn't speak for you though;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There is no question Hooper is not a genuine standard 7 as we have come to accept over many years.

Pocock probably is.

Hooper is an incredible athlete with the highest level of aerobic capacity I've ever seen on a rugby field. I think his role and style of play as a seven has evolved through through different coaches and the players selected around him.

Status
Not open for further replies.