• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Sean McMahon is a reds target for 2017. Talks already ahead of schedule. Quade Cooper is in talks to return next season.
Any whispers on the coach Intruder? If QC (Quade Cooper) is thinking about coming home they must have a someone in mind.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Any whispers on the coach Intruder? If QC (Quade Cooper) is thinking about coming home they must have a someone in mind.

I always thought he would have enjoyed playing for Laurie Fisher. His game would fit in a Brumbies style side.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Don't think that decision will feature too much on Quade. Chieka wants him back and Quade doesn't want to play anywhere else but QLD.

I think what Stiles and O'Connor are doing now is nothing short of impressive. Yes, they may have lost games but they are competitive in fact very competitive with only just over a months work. Add experience to the puzzle (Moore, Quade) and some physical edge (Higginbotham/Houston?, Douglas). This team goes from just falling short to making statements.

I would hate to see if one is named as head coach to see the other leave. Both are class coaches and would continue to take the Reds out of dark times.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
Do any of the more well informed posters here have inside knowledge into which coach has brought a bigger change to the team since Graham left?

I can't help but think that it's Stiles due to how well his forwards were going in key departments even while under Graham.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Stilesy does a good job coaching his departments but from what I hear he's probably just not quite ready to take the step up to HC just yet. I hear the players like him and get a lot out of his coaching technically but feel he can be a bit childish and personal when dishing out negative feedback or trying to get someone to lift their game. I also hear he's not the most controlled character, likely to blow at any minute for no reason.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
O'Connor is in charge of team structures/play and backs while Stiles takes care of the forwards and the team contact areas.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Obviously Stiles and MOC are putting their hands up for the HC role next year.

Does anyone know of serious contenders for the job ( people that actually want the job) and not just our particular preferences

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Great news re Sean - real step forward with Gilly off to eat croissants

Other bloke a step back unless he will sign on $50K:)

I obviously saw the smiley face Scrubber which is the universally accepted emoticon for, "I'm kidding! ..... I'm not really." but to quote the great John McEnroe, "You can NOT BE SERIOUS!?" :)

How is Quade over McIntyre in any way shape or form a 'step back'? Actually, no I'll remove the other crap that goes with Quade discussions from the equation and re-phrase, how is any 50+ Test cap international 10 a step back from McIntyre?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way shape or form, knocking Jake, but he's young and very green. This isn't about him, it's about disregarding clearly superior options.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I obviously saw the smiley face Scrubber which is the universally accepted emoticon for, "I'm kidding! ... I'm not really." but to quote the great John McEnroe, "You can NOT BE SERIOUS!?" :)

How is Quade over McIntyre in any way shape or form a 'step back'? Actually, no I'll remove the other crap that goes with Quade discussions from the equation and re-phrase, how is any 50+ Test cap international 10 a step back from McIntyre?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way shape or form, knocking Jake, but he's young and very green. This isn't about him, it's about disregarding clearly superior options.

Understand that you are not "bagging" the young bloke. Sure he has plenty of work to do before he is a good level Super 15 Number 10 and I think most people accept that as fact.

My issue is with a possible re-signing of Quade. We all know he has some unbelievable skills on a rugby paddock. But for God's sake it has been a number of years (probably back to 2011) since he showed them on a consistent basis, week in and week out.

His recent history is fairly average. Chek gave him opportunities in the RWC but he couldn't displace Foley or even ride the pine. His form at the Reds since 2011 hasn't been consistently good, his stint overseas doesn't appear to have gone well and his sevens "career" is also much less than expected. His form over 5 years whether you like it or not has not been to the high standard he himself set in 2011. That's bloody 5 years, a whole career for some Super 15 players.

Is he still better (currently) than McIntyre ? ATM Of course he is !!!!

Is McIntyre growing into the position? Again, of course he is.

Based on performances is QC (Quade Cooper) worth a large contract ? Of course he isn't.

I'd rather spend the money on a established 10, playing well or on other positions we are short of

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Understand that you are not "bagging" the young bloke. Sure he has plenty of work to do before he is a good level Super 15 Number 10 and I think most people accept that as fact.

My issue is with a possible re-signing of Quade. We all know he has some unbelievable skills on a rugby paddock. But for God's sake it has been a number of years (probably back to 2011) since he showed them on a consistent basis, week in and week out.

His recent history is fairly average. Chek gave him opportunities in the RWC but he couldn't displace Foley or even ride the pine. His form at the Reds since 2011 hasn't been consistently good, his stint overseas doesn't appear to have gone well and his sevens "career" is also much less than expected. His form over 5 years whether you like it or not has not been to the high standard he himself set in 2011. That's bloody 5 years, a whole career for some Super 15 players.

Is he still better (currently) than McIntyre ? ATM Of course he is !!!!

Is McIntyre growing into the position? Again, of course he is.

Based on performances is QC (Quade Cooper) worth a large contract ? Of course he isn't.

I'd rather spend the money on a established 10, playing well or on other positions we are short of

To be fair Scrubber, I think your criticism of Cooper lacks context.

He was injured at the end of 2011 and had major knee surgery. He did come back by the end of 2012, but expecting him to play to previous standards is unrealistic.

From 2014 - 2015, I don't think a single Reds back looked better than sub-par. The game plan adopted was a flop.

Over that period, he had a number of other difficulties with injuries which included the lead up to last years World Cup. It was always a tough proposition for him to make the starting side last year with very little lead in time and, from memory, the only reason anyone was calling for him to be picked was due to concerns over Foley. Once Foley started stringing strong games together, there was no reason for Cheika to roll the dice with a semi-fit player.

Cooper's game doesn't suit Toulon's style. Picking Cooper and expecting him to play like Wilkinson was similiar to Deans picking him and expecting him to play like Barnes.

This is not to say that you are wrong in your appraisal. Quite simply 2011 was a stand out year for Cooper and he has never returned as strongly since his knee injury (leaving aside the Booing & Toxic incidents). But then other parts of his game a more developed and he has had a number of fine games in there, including tests, to go with the more modest performances.

I do know that we can't go into another season with McIntyre, Greene & Mason being our three squad no 10s. I am genuinely interested to know what other position would be more important for us to spend money on then at 10?

I am not going to get into bagging McIntyre other than to say that he is at a stage in his career when he should be in a squad learning off a seasoned 10 & playing minutes off the bench. Our biggest issue (by far IMO) is at 10 and, if we lose Ant Fainga'a next year, an experienced 10 will be even more important. If McIntyre is to become a super rugby player, he needs to be developed in the right environment.

So, if we are going to make 10 or priority signing, why wouldn't we target a local product, with existing ties, who wants to play here, has test experience and has the experiencing of winning a super rugby title. As far as I have always understood he is a popular squad member and works closely with team mates to help them develop their game. I imagine he'd be a very positive influence on the likes of Frisby & Paia'aua as well.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
x2 What TSR and Wamberal said.

You're not wrong Scrubber but I don't think you're entirely right either. TSR has covered it well but I will reply to a couple of your points.

You keep going back to Quade's consistency. I think he has been consistent but his problem is that he hasn't since reached the heights he did in 2011. But just because he hasn't, it doesn't mean he's still not a very good choice as a 10 moving forward.

I am going to assume that you haven't seen any of Quade's Rugby with Toulon and in the 7's. The issue with Toulon is that they aren't using him to his strengths. They play him at 15 a lot and he is starved of ball yet they still expect him to produce the sort of stuff he is capable of at 10. They also have a game plan that is completely unsuited to Quade.

His performances in 7's were actually pretty good. I have no idea why he copped the roasting that he did in the media, probably because it gets clicks, but for a first time hit out, I think he went well. Yes there was a couple of poor mistakes but they are to be expected of anyone new to the game and the rest of his footy was pretty good.

As to his value, 10 different people will have 10 different opinions on this. I don't think he's worth huge money but he is still a very good 10 with 58 Test caps and his salary should reflect this in some form.

As to your last sentence, who are these other available established 10's that are playing well? Seriously. I'd rather we could recruit Beauden Barratt or Johnny Sexton etc but that just aint going to happen. At the moment though, I don't know a position that we are more glaringly deficient in.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To be fair Scrubber, I think your criticism of Cooper lacks context.

He was injured at the end of 2011 and had major knee surgery. He did come back by the end of 2012, but expecting him to play to previous standards is unrealistic.

From 2014 - 2015, I don't think a single Reds back looked better than sub-par. The game plan adopted was a flop.

Over that period, he had a number of other difficulties with injuries which included the lead up to last years World Cup. It was always a tough proposition for him to make the starting side last year with very little lead in time and, from memory, the only reason anyone was calling for him to be picked was due to concerns over Foley. Once Foley started stringing strong games together, there was no reason for Cheika to roll the dice with a semi-fit player.

Cooper's game doesn't suit Toulon's style. Picking Cooper and expecting him to play like Wilkinson was similiar to Deans picking him and expecting him to play like Barnes.

This is not to say that you are wrong in your appraisal. Quite simply 2011 was a stand out year for Cooper and he has never returned as strongly since his knee injury (leaving aside the Booing & Toxic incidents). But then other parts of his game a more developed and he has had a number of fine games in there, including tests, to go with the more modest performances.

I do know that we can't go into another season with McIntyre, Greene & Mason being our three squad no 10s. I am genuinely interested to know what other position would be more important for us to spend money on then at 10?

I am not going to get into bagging McIntyre other than to say that he is at a stage in his career when he should be in a squad learning off a seasoned 10 & playing minutes off the bench. Our biggest issue (by far IMO) is at 10 and, if we lose Ant Fainga'a next year, an experienced 10 will be even more important. If McIntyre is to become a super rugby player, he needs to be developed in the right environment.

So, if we are going to make 10 or priority signing, why wouldn't we target a local product, with existing ties, who wants to play here, has test experience and has the experiencing of winning a super rugby title. As far as I have always understood he is a popular squad member and works closely with team mates to help them develop their game. I imagine he'd be a very positive influence on the likes of Frisby & Paia'aua as well.

Good post TSR - lots of well thought comments.

Quade was in a "toxic" environment with RG. However he is just not worth a big money contract. I think he would be helpful to some of the inside backs. Pickle is coming up to his 5oth and has been around for a long time so probably not a great influence on him. I would rather see a performing (now) 10 in our sights.

TBH fucked if I know who.

Suppose we will see if QLD throws him the rugby lifeline. Time will tell !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.