• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
While I acknowledge the financial success of the last few years, I am now somewhat uncertain as to where the true credit lies. The Reds financial success seems largely down to the form exhibited in 2010, 2011 & parts of 2012 when the players were quite simply the best show in town.
And they actively engaged with the public. Behind the scenes the board and CEO obviously kicked some goals, but they were given a leg up. A few years later and I am not sure I have seen too many sporting administrations do such a comprehensive job of eroding their own creditability. Carmichael was once seen as one of he premier sporting CEOs in the country - now he seems intent on proving his arrogance is matched only by his incompetence.

So, my question is - is anyone aware of a groundswell of feeling amongst Brisbane power brokers who may be inclined to challenge the status quo? At this point, you would have to think a well credentialed alternative to the current board & CEO would get a fair bit of support.

T

Train Without a Station

Carmichael must be given credit for doing many good things. Have the Waratahs been able to capitalize on their success in the same manner? Not at all.

The worm was starting to turn with the QRU player fees for 2015. This will only further draw sentiment against him.

A lot of what Jim does seems to be out of the AFL handbook. Some of it has undoubtedly worked. But some has left the HP department in shambles.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's hard to imagine anything happening while profits are being generated. He is after all CEO of the QRU not only the reds, so the performance of the pro side us only one element of the role.

Agm is held in Feb/march as I recall. The numbers this year are still likely to be pretty good based on the (declining) membership + crowd numbers.

So its probably not until early 2017 that things will get uncomfortable for Carmichael.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The only real measurable indicator of poor performance administratibely was the appointment of RG. The finances appear sound.

The coach needs to bear the brunt of criticism for performance (as well as the players of course) Think it is also fair to criticise the Admin for the way the coacjing issue has been handled or mishandled.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Hmmmm ......not sure that the coaching issue is the only thing I have concerns with. It seems there have been a raft of things poorly handled over the last two years. At the same time the QRU have, IMO, implied they are above question by the common supporter.

It seems likely that membership will decline next year, possibly significantly. Maybe Carmichael gets another 12 months grace based on his initial success - but to not even have his position questioned at this time seems to me to be a bit like fiddling while Rome burns.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's hard to imagine anything happening while profits are being generated. He is after all CEO of the QRU not only the reds, so the performance of the pro side us only one element of the role.

Agm is held in Feb/march as I recall. The numbers this year are still likely to be pretty good based on the (declining) membership + crowd numbers.

So its probably not until early 2017 that things will get uncomfortable for Carmichael.

they've changed the financial year this year I believe, so expect it around November.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hmmmm ..not sure that the coaching issue is the only thing I have concerns with. It seems there have been a raft of things poorly handled over the last two years. At the same time the QRU have, IMO, implied they are above question by the common supporter.

It seems likely that membership will decline next year, possibly significantly. Maybe Carmichael gets another 12 months grace based on his initial success - but to not even have his position questioned at this time seems to me to be a bit like fiddling while Rome burns.

I suppose a successful rugby season in 2016 will fix most of the problems.

First cab off the rank is a new coach. Second is finding a world class 10 (let McIntyre mature a bit) Third, the players need ti be engaged in the process and shoulder the responsibilty ofplaying for the Reds, Fourthly, the fans need to show the faith (once again).

GO THE REDS

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Carmichael must be given credit for doing many good things. Have the Waratahs been able to capitalize on their success in the same manner? Not at all.

The worm was starting to turn with the QRU player fees for 2015. This will only further draw sentiment against him.

A lot of what Jim does seems to be out of the AFL handbook. Some of it has undoubtedly worked. But some has left the HP department in shambles.

The issue with the Tahs cannot be compared directly with the Reds as it stands now. The Reds are doing their best to copy the Tahs book of management post Professionalism until the time of TGC but they have a long way to go.

The years of neglect and arrogance from the NSWRU towards its fan base, the alienation of the grass roots and clubs and the dire way thy played the game for the last 20 years have done some very significant damage to the fan base. So much so that as I was pointing out at the start of this year even the winning of the title and playing the best rugby seen by a Tahs side in a generation is not enough to win them back.

The Reds had some bad years and went broke but they never treated their fans with the disdain of the NSWRU. There will be the usual few who discount that but the well known fact remains that they have traditionally been more interested in politicking and maintaining their own positions than actually advancing the game in NSW. From a purely amateur fan base that sold out the SFS for Tahs games and even the Shute Shield finals they now struggle as Super Champions to fill the place. For those who doubt me on those metric and will come out with the usual buts..... explain why we have the unprecedented situation where the reigning champions are struggling to secure significant sponsorship, could it be that the brand has suffered some major damage? It has distressed me for years that the game and team I have followed most of my life has declined in status instead of grown.

The Reds have a long way to go before they plunge to those depths.

Swandive

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just to change the subject a bit, is there any chance of getting Link back?
Anyone in the know on this?
Also, I was wondering about the brother of Rory Arnold. Does anyone know where he is playing and if he is just as good. That might be a good pickup for Qld, if he is as good as I read about a year ago. Don't really know but would be keen to hear from someone who might know.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Link seems pretty content in Christchurch re-building the place i think? and Rorys brothers playing on the Gold Coast i think and i dunno if hes as good as Rory. Hopefully he can get into the Qld Country squad so we can get a better look at him in the NRC.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
My worry is they let him go and he does not realise it and still turns up to training polluting the place.

A lot of speculation going on here but that is what happens in a vacuum. Seriously, how bad are the Reds at communicating with members? Great at letting me know merch is cheap this week but crap at assuring me thus cluster fuck of a year will never happen again.

The Bunnies are emailing me all the time with member news. When their is a player issue they are straight on it.

I was a Bunnies member and almost got sick of their constant contact.

As a Reds member I get nothing, I rang up and complained and got 2 emails in the following 2 weeks then nothing.

I bought a membership in my daughters name when she was born and have been really disappointed with the lack of contact and updates from the team.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

One of my friends just made the QLD womens 15's side and they have to pay their own airfares to get to their championships.

It seems like QRU is not functioning is a lot of areas

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I was a Bunnies member and almost got sick of their constant contact.

As a Reds member I get nothing, I rang up and complained and got 2 emails in the following 2 weeks then nothing.

I bought a membership in my daughters name when she was born and have been really disappointed with the lack of contact and updates from the team.
Really?

I get a couple a week during the season with links to members content (I fast forward through the Richard Graham bits). Outside of the season I get less, but I think it is usually about one a fortnight or something.

Have you inadvertantly unsubscribed, or are they just finding their way into your junk emails?

As far as the content goes, I think it is mostly pretty interesting. I don't like the players apologising videos - that shit just shouldn't be done - but all the other non Richard Graham stuff is usually pretty informative and worthwhile I find.

The reds media group are pretty switched on - which is why I find it so surprising that the QC (Quade Cooper) contract withdrawal press release was published.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If you have gmail or a similar mail system, they will get filtered into the "promotion" area, so you probably have a big fat pile of Reds emails hiding there that you always miss.

T

TOCC

I get 2 emails a week from the Reds..

and i got a nice email the other day saying i still have $9.95 owing on my 2014 membership o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.