• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Slipper is actually looking for a possible return as soon as next week or the week after. Likewise with Gill. Reds could have big inclusions for the Waratahs game. Bad news though with reports Ben Daley is out for the season with a torn pec, I really feel for the bloke he can't catch a break. Especially coming off contract at the seasons end.

Thanks Intruder. Great news on Gill and Slipper. The sooner we can get those two back on the pitch the better. Both guys bleed Red and are leaders in different ways.

Shit news about Dales. I've always loved the guy for his heart and of all the Reds players I have ever met, he is by far the nicest and most welcoming. Very genuine guy. I feel really sorry for him if that's his season done. Bloody cruel.

Reactions: TSR

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would maybe like to see Browning given a start ahead of Schatz. Think Browning has had more impact than Schatz so far, Setu will be hard to drop from the 23 Gill returns, though.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The others in the 600-series are open (the ones away from the halfway line) so it seems they are keeping it for something. Maybe just not releasing all the tickets at once as SFR suggested. Or they've started allocating members there.

And yeah, considering I know full well even the 601 is likely to be half-empty this weekend, I'm thinking of a couple of Silver tickets. I might accidentally take a wrong turn and end up in 601. Suncorp is tricky to navigate around, after all.
Wasn't 601 where the Perpetual Members who refused to stump up further cash were getting reallocated to?

Not sure what to expect this weekend. Rebels had plenty of injuries & travel in them on Saturday night & we couldn't take advantage of it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
When are Gill and Slipper expected back?

Reckon we will see both the week after the bye - Round 7.
Slipper had full shoulder recon + knee operation.
Hope both Gilly and Slipper come back when fully ready. and no sooner. The season is looking not too good anyway.

They will make a difference, but how big I don't know. Both these guys have the ability to lift players around them but both are piggies.

The problem area still remains : the backs
How do you fix that?: Absolutely no idea

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would maybe like to see Browning given a start ahead of Schatz. Think Browning has had more impact than Schatz so far, Setu will be hard to drop from the 23 Gill returns, though.

Browning was excellent from the bench. Really made a great impact. I wouldn't change that as that's a key role I reckon. Plus Schatz really is a key part of our strong lineout. I reckon the balance of that pack is right (putting openside aside for the time being). Slipper for Sef and Gill for Setu makes it pretty enticing.

Just gotta get that backline right and I reckon we are still 2 or 3 positions astray there.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Schatz made 17 tackles on Saturday apparently. I think Browning adds a bit more on attack but Schatz has him covered everywhere else I reckon.

I just can't get behind a number 8 who consistently gets smashed behind the advantage line. Go back through the archives for the last 5 games Schatz has played and you'll see he always ends up with negative running meters.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just can't get behind a number 8 who consistently gets smashed behind the advantage line. Go back through the archives for the last 5 games Schatz has played and you'll see he always ends up with negative running meters.

Arguably you're getting that ball running from your 6 though.

I don't really rate Schatz but he is performing two of the key things you need from your backrow. Tackling and lineout.

Minus the loss of Gill who is clearly your best backrower and one of the best players in your squad, the balance of the backrow seems better this year because Tui provides more ball running than Quirk did last year.

Schatz just really can't be paired with a 6 who doesn't get the ball over the advantage line frequently.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
You have a valid point BH, however, I still find it concerning that a player who has played Super Rugby as long as Schatz is so ineffective with the ball in hand.

It seems like he has upped his workrate in 2016 which is good, but that has also meant increasing his ball carries (I don't have actual stats here but am going on what I have observed) and he is yet to be of any use in that department, or for some time.

I understand that we are getting some good carries from other players on the field but it still doesn't change the fact that Schatz is a noted liability in attack.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A team so low in experience really needs to think twice about removing someone with the number of caps that Schatz has. Whatever his number. As blokes return we might rethink it. But for now I think we need him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
A team so low in experience really needs to think twice about removing someone with the number of caps that Schatz has. Whatever his number. As blokes return we might rethink it. But for now I think we need him.

Jake has been around as first choice no. 8 for a long time and under different coaches.
Think he is acknowledged as a great lineout option and absolute workhorse in defence
The only criticism is that he is not dynamic in attack - break or bend the line.
Well 2 outa 3 ain't bad. Until we get Mr Perfect who can get 3 outa 3, I'm happy for Schatz to be in the starting team.

PS I have been critical of Curtis (for not living up to the promise he showed as a youngster) but thought his attack work last week was outstanding

B

Bobby Sands

The Quirky man has looked the goods at 8man over in Japan. Would love to get him back at some stage. He looks stronger.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
The Quirky man has looked the goods at 8man over in Japan. Would love to get him back at some stage. He looks stronger.
I agree, I think getting dropped from the Reds was the kick up the rear that Quirky needed. His performances in that other red (or is it orange?) jersey have been quite impressive. He was very effective at the breakdown in both Sunwolves games and against SAfrican teams, that's not too be ignored.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ed was one guy who worked hard to get into the Reds top squad. Think his first year or so were very good.
He then seemed to plateau (interest factor etc etc) then copped a big injury.
Great to see the man step it up - keep going

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Seems to be a pretty common theme, young player picked by the Reds, doesn't deliver the goods, moves to a different environment and excels.

If Thorn isn't able to have an impact with our youth then the Reds really need to revisit this development area because time and time again it fails them.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Seems to be a pretty common theme, young player picked by the Reds, doesn't deliver the goods, moves to a different environment and excels.

If Thorn isn't able to have an impact with our youth then the Reds really need to revisit this development area because time and time again it fails them.

Agree - have said it before but the biggest strongest lads at 16 - 18 whilst at school don't necessarily turn into top Super players - the mental edge and many other factors determine that.

Trick is to have a bloke (who is currently not in the system) pick a lot more of the right ones based on criteria that I reckon is not taken into consideration.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Do Japanese imports only get 2 seasons? If so, this is the last for Tui. I'd strongly suggest either Houston (from bath and getting a chat from cheika) or Higs (after his 2nd Jap season) could very well end up back home in QLD 2017.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Pocock signs with Brumbies until 2019 RWC. He's been given a year off in 2018 to study.

Guess that rules him out of joining the Reds in 2017...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think this is a stretch.

He played 38 games for the Reds and was a pretty good Super Rugby player for about a year of his time at the Reds. For the last couple of years he struggled to have an impact and had injury problems. There certainly weren't a lot of people suggesting he was a key player for the Reds to keep.

He's now looked pretty good in two games for a team that is yet to win a game and he's excelling in a different environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.