• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know if we need any changes or not.

I honestly had no idea what to expect last night, but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless. The reds had more energy in them than I had seen in a long while.

Our defence is still leaky, but our time with the ball (after the first 30 minutes or so) generally looked better.

We still fall back in to Richardisms, but that will take time to get over.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I mentioned in the match thread, that at the end we looked like the dog that caught the car. We had no idea what to do once we realised we may actually win the match. Belief takes time to build but it will come.
There were some really good moments in there and one or two decent passages of play. That's a good start and a welcome change.
Go you REDS!!

Reactions: gel

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
I mentioned in the match thread, that at the end we looked like the dog that caught the car. We had no idea what to do once we realised we may actually win the match. Belief takes time to build but it will come.
There were some really good moments in there and one or two decent passages of play. That's a good start and a welcome change.
Go you REDS!!
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking too. You could practically see the moment when the Reds realised that might actually win and they froze in fear. They went from building attacking phases and going forward to going sideways and then backwards. It was like no one wanted to be the guy who lost the game so everyone just shovelled the ball onto the next guy.

McIntyre's decision to pass the ball to an isolated Kerevi rather than attempt the drop goal that they had worked to setup was a brain explosion of the highest order, but is a product of the low confidence, risk averse environment that has been created at the Reds over the past 3 years. I reckon that McIntyre realised in a brief moment of panic that if he missed the drop goal, everyone would blame him for the loss, and so rather than risk that outcome, he just chucked it to Kerevi.

The thing that frustrated me even more though was that after Kerevi dropped the ball, there was almost no attempt made, from anyone, to try to get a turnover. All the Reds were just standing off the rucks instead of blasting in to try and get the ball back. I don't care how unlikely it is, at least bloody try!

It's going to be a long road back to greatness, but there were enough moments of play last night to suggest that we have at least turned the corner.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Discipline and handling is not up to an acceptable level. Even the Sunwolves put the Reds to shame at the moment in terms of stringing phases together and clinical play.

The Reds shouldn't have been in it, they were, and blew it (to put it simply). The confidence will be building however but I believe it is on a collison course with reality: Blues, Waratahs, Highlanders, Bulls and Stormers (both in SA). I don't think they will be in any of these games with the current line up and will be 0-8. At this point MOC and Stiles will be doing themselves out of a job next year.

Slipper and Gill will make a difference on return, but none of the frontline backs are injured so I wouldn't expect anything different out there.

The result last night was false hope as the underlying performance was poor, the season is about to unravel against quality/tougher opposition.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Go you REDS!!
Wouldn't it have been great to have a senior 90-cap inside centre out there at the death to calm the rookies down and direct the team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We need 2 changes next week, Gale & Greene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe.

You'd have to think that Frisbey selection over Gale is likely, Greene v MacIntyre needs thought. Coaches have a tough call as the most important thing right now is to let the 10 gain time in the saddle.

I think there is more time to build maturity in the centers. What we have is suitable for where the team is now, but may morph as the team develops.

My call at 10, fwiw, would be to give Greene a start for 3 or 4 games.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
I've been a massive fan of Greene's for a long time now, and have massive bias in his favour.

But I thought McIntyre finally played to the level he was capable of from the 60-75min marks.

It looked like he forgot where he was and what he'd been doing previously and got caught up in the comeback.

He was engaging the line, opening up holes for outside runners like Cadeyrn Neville (best game of the season from him I think), and just generally looked like the guy the Reds had hoped he would be.

In another note, the lack of skills (inaccurate passing and dropped ball), one-on-one tackling and discipline were horrendous, and the poor first half gifted the Rebels the win, though they tried their best to put us in with a shot.

I also have a bias in Sef's favour, but his scrummaging wasn't at the level I hoped it would be, and that derailed a lot of first half attacking opportunities as Laurie Weeks beat him around the bush. Daley was much improved coming off the bench, so maybe it's worth sticking with.

I really admired Tui's hunger. He was always looking to run the ball and make an impact. His decision making into contact could be improved, but that will come with more super rugby experience.

Overall it was a game that I'd be happy to sit down and watch again, which is a bunch more than I could say for almost any other game under Graham's tenure.

T

TOCC

I also have a bias in Sef's favour, but his scrummaging wasn't at the level I hoped it would be, and that derailed a lot of first half attacking opportunities as Laurie Weeks beat him around the bush..

I only watched the first half but I didn't see this, yes the Reds scrum went backwards once but for the remainder it was stable on their own feed and got one or two penalties. I thought Toby Smith played a good game against Holmes which negated the Reds ascendancy in the scrum for the most part.

The turf at the stadium really detracted from the scrum battle, I don't know what they are doing with the grass down there but whatever they are doing it isn't working, that pitch was atrocious and needs to be sorted before the June Teats against England.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
But I thought McIntyre finally played to the level he was capable of from the 60-75min marks.

It looked like he forgot where he was and what he'd been doing previously and got caught up in the comeback.

He was engaging the line, opening up holes for outside runners like Cadeyrn Neville (best game of the season from him I think), and just generally looked like the guy the Reds had hoped he would be.

At one point I was so lost as to what he was doing (nothing) that I backed up the tape through phase after phase only to discover they just werent using MacIntyre at first reciever. Some of this was the forwards running off 9 or a stand in, but not by any means all of it. He came back demanding the ball after a while, still.

I'd have to re-watch the game, but on that check he just wasnt producing what any team wants from its 10.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My biggest concern regarding the Greene v McIntyre debate is that both need time in the saddle, 50/50 is not the answer so you pick one and the other one regresses.

Both only have a few prem grade seasons under the belt, and can't afford to not have week in week out game time.

Completely concur. Only thing is with RG gone the CIHS's must make a call. They can change, but need to be cautious with "we like both" non-decission. We have enough of those already! Lol.

T

TOCC

My biggest concern regarding the Greene v McIntyre debate is that both need time in the saddle, 50/50 is not the answer so you pick one and the other one regresses.

Both only have a few prem grade seasons under the belt, and can't afford to not have week in week out game time.

I agree the Reds need to stick with one of them, 50/50 isn't the answer nor is swapping week to week on the back of knee jerk reactions...
They need to back a player and give him the opportunity to develop, at the moment that player is McIntyre... If in the next few games no improvement is noticeable then make the call and give Greene a shot.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I spent a bit of time going back over our attacking phases, took notes only for the first half. I expected to find MacIntyre not at first reciever as much as I thought he should be.

Wrong.

We had a lot of phases in the first 10 to 15 min. 10 ran as the head of a second attacking line with loose forwards at first reciever in the front line. Forwards were at first reciever an aweful lot in that early period. No probs with that.

I counted MacIntyre at first reiver 9 times in the first half, and other other backs on 5 occassions, though three were out of scrums not general play and the go to bloke at scrums seems to be Ant.

Hunt came in once early at first reciever and made fabulous ground. Helping out his forwards before they were getting tired.

Forwards at first reciever 9 times with that second line coming from 10 looking for an opportunity from the forwards from second reciever. Thats where you find Mac, possible second reciever, in the first 10 min.

It was a worthwhile sense check, Mac is doing better than I gave him credit.

Also noted very little sideways stepping from Frisbey.

Lets give the halves more time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I reckon Greene has played at least 2 full seasons of Premier Rugby, at least. Possibly 3. Was it one full one at Wests and 2 at brothers?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
was the number of times Jake Mac was at first receiver ever really a question? Surely we aren't judging a 10 by the number of times he receives the ball at first receiver? It must be his effectiveness.

And to that end, I think its difficult to argue that Jake has been effective.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Dru, Please do not let researched facts cloud your opinion. If more follow suit GAGR will crumble
What are the facts?
his supporters biggest theme is he doesn't fuck up nearly as much as most people think.

By all means keep picking a 10 who doesn't really fuck up that often.
But tell me,next time the game is on the line,who wants Jake to have the ball?
We know he doesn't want it!

Status
Not open for further replies.