• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I understand the choice of moving to Slipper as captain even if I don't really agree with the reasoning. I mean come on, The ex-captain doesn't mentor the new captain, the current captain should mentor his vice-captain(s). Should have stuck with Horwill (c).

The choice of VC's is a little more interesting and slightly more ominous. It may mean that at the very least the Reds aren't sure of re-signing Genia and Cooper, and worst case indicates that one or both of them is leaving.

Also, not to say Karmichael isn't well credentialed, but should we not watch him play a game of rugby before anointing him a walk up starter and on-field leader for the start of the year.

My preferred option would have been to have Horwill (c), Slipper and either Genia or Quade as VC. That provides stability and is a good way to hedge your bets on who will step up in the future.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Genia's gone.. but yes it's quite telling Quade didn't get vice and I'm waiting for a journo to bring it up.

T

TOCC

Horwill stepped down, so it's natural that he steps down completely from the role and not to a deputy role..

Slipper was an obvious candidate, but I agree on selecting Karmichael as VC as a bit strange..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
looks like giving up the captaincy was a tough thing for Kevin to do. Good decision though, Slipper does not suffer dickheads. All I can think is that indications are that Quade and Will are off to Europe after the WC and Karmichael wants to stay home. He'll do a good job.

T

TOCC

Well Karmichael is signed for the next 3 years.. Quade and Will aren't.. Maybe that was enough to push it over the line..

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Horwill stepped down, so it's natural that he steps down completely from the role and not to a deputy role..

Slipper was an obvious candidate, but I agree on selecting Karmichael as VC as a bit strange..

Whether it was James' call or the organisations I still don't agree with the reasoning.

T

TOCC

They brought up Will, would have been the same generic response

something

Jim Clark (26)
I feel Hunt's rise to VC is a worrying sign. Firstly, it could demoralise some of the guys who have been in the reds for ages - that a new, untried player, can come in and get captaincy without proving himself. Secondly, and more importantly it potentially highlights Quade's future, or lack of, with the Reds. I feel Genia's already gone.

That being said, we don't know whats going on behind closed doors. Hunt's meant to be an ultimate team man - maybe the team put him forth for his immediate, positive contributions to training.

something

Jim Clark (26)
the Reds email i read stated that the 100 cap guys don't need a title as they have already cemented themselves as leaders.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
James "stood" down - highly unlikely - it was time to go !

I will remain positive and knowing James is a passionate Queenslander I suspect he will have a blinder of a year. Bloke now has absolutely no pressure and can concentrate on what he loves doing - playing rugby instead of the corporate shit, media committments etc etc

Reckon both Willie G and QC (Quade Cooper) didn't come into contention mainly due to the uncertainty of both staying post 2015.

Great choice of captain - well deserved - will do a great job

Interesting vice captain selections in that Simmons hasn't captained anything (Im pretty sure) other than the hire boat at Manly. Upon reflection he will take over slipper's role after he gets subbed at 60-80. Played heaps of games both at Super level and Wallaby. Well respected by everyone at Ballymore.

Hunt was a real surprise to me. New bloke blah blah - but obviously has gained immediate respect from players and coaches. Being fullback allows him some time and space to read play.

All in all a good announcement.

Go the Reds

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
RE Quade being passed over for gig, sometimes it isn't ideal to have your primary attack organizer as captain. Quade is a very creative player and some of his best work is done off the cuff. Giving him the C or VC may imply he would be expected to reign it in a little bit and stick more to a given structure, especially if he was the one on the field trying to enforce said structures.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm sure Hunt will be a really good player, but to be VC without having stepped onto the field with the team (yet alone not having played rugby in four or five years) is really odd to say the least.

I can't think of another example of this in any sport.

If 100 cap players don't need a title to be leaders, I wouldn't have though a zero capped player would have earned the right...

Wouldn't sit well for Ant Faainga - would have been the obvious back other than WG, QC (Quade Cooper). Might be out of favour for this year.

Good on to Rob Simmons - certainly seemed to improve his consistency last year (as did Slipper).

Anyway, good luck to them - team looks great, and fingers crossed they have a blinder of a year.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
As an old Prop I'm just ecstatic at the fact that a Prop is leading the side. One day we will all take over the world, provided that stop making beer taste soo damm good.

Well done Slips, good head on those shoulders and seems fairly humble (but as someone said he won'tr take shit from spoilt brats).

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Congrats James Slipper! He deserves it and he has earned the right on the field. He's one of the most important players in Aussie rugby at the moment.

About Hunt I'm also confused. I imagine his performance in training sessions has been supersonic but that isn't enough to be named vc. My concern about him are the injuries, he has had many injuries in his career, if he can stay away from that he could be the new Izzy Folau for the Wallabies and we will not worry about the departure of Folau after WC. But it all depends about his health, it's useless to have a top class player who lives injured, like David Pocock in the last years

Status
Not open for further replies.