• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Ant may struggle to make the bench regularly this year and is nowhere near a certain starter, pretty hard to name him as captain or vice captain.
I agree, it would just be a disappointing start to the season for him. Is he contracted beyond this year?

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Okay, let me rephrase - I'm sure Ant Faainga is fine at not being selected as VC - I'm just personally a bit disappointed for him. I think he's a champion, and it's sad to me that he's on the outer a bit. Geez

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It shouldn't be a surprise that guys like Cooper and Genia are probably on their way out after the world cup. It's pretty par for the course. In the circumstances, they shouldn't be selected in the leadership group, unless there was a shortage of leaders.

Hunt is an odd choice

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
This all might mean that Genia and QC (Quade Cooper) are moving on, but the flipside is that Slipper is here to stay. And IMO Slipper is the most important player at the Reds.

He's only 25, still got another ten years left in him.

I'm not that upset at all imagining Slipper captaining the team through the next decade, very clever man and great player.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Didn't see that coming.

Agree with Slipper but the VC selections are going to need some time to settle and see how they go.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
In terms of marketing would have been better for ARU to have Hunt in Rebels because Melbourne has more AFL supporters than Queensland. It would have attracted many fans to a franchise that needs more support from their city.

AFL supporters will say that their sport is better than rugby if Hunt is successful but he's more a League player than an AFL player. Most AFL players would be crushed at international level, Hunt is different because he started in League

This all might mean that Genia and QC (Quade Cooper) are moving on, but the flipside is that Slipper is here to stay. And IMO Slipper is the most important player at the Reds.

He's only 25, still got another ten years left in him.

I'm not that upset at all imagining Slipper captaining the team through the next decade, very clever man and great player.

This could be a problem in the future, before Slips didn't call the attention of the European market. Now he's the Reds captain above players like Horwill, Cooper and Genia. He has also received many awards in the last months and is an undisputed player for all Australian rugby, it's only a matter of time that for the European radar to find him :eek:

Thinking back, Fainga'a should be the captain and should receive all the awards, so we could fool the fucking Europeans ;)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So if Simmons is injured and Slipper is replaced at 60 minutes then Hunt becomes on field captain? Seems risky.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Hunt being the on-field captain is a fairly unlikely prospect and even so, if it did happen, it's not like he would be the captain of a bunch of rookies. He would have help from the likes of Genia, Cooper, the Fainga'as, Gill, Thomson etc.
With any risk analysis you look at the likelihood of occurrence and the potential consequences together. Both are fairly low so in terms of risk, there's not much to worry about in my opinion. If Simmons gets injured the biggest worry for us is depth in that position!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Finger was very good on tour - in fact better than Hanson. I understand his scrummaging is better as well.

I would think Finger 1 will get the start over James, but Finger 2's prospects in 2015 don't look as good (as those of his much older brother).

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would also probably suggest that Hunt is a natural leader and even though he's been there a short period of time he's showing himself to be a leader amongst the group.

I doubt captaincy/leadership group announcements are ever much of a surprise to the team itself.
I think Khunt getting the VC role is an indication that Anthony Fainga'a wont be in the starting team, I imagine Khunt is running the defensive side of things.

I will miss hearing Anthony screaming at players to get in position!

For a leadership role I am glad JOC (James O'Connor) did not get one, he has to earn his stripes again and this might motivate him to lead.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm sure Hunt will be a really good player, but to be VC without having stepped onto the field with the team (yet alone not having played rugby in four or five years) is really odd to say the least.

I can't think of another example of this in any sport.

If 100 cap players don't need a title to be leaders, I wouldn't have though a zero capped player would have earned the right.

Wouldn't sit well for Ant Faainga - would have been the obvious back other than WG, QC (Quade Cooper). Might be out of favour for this year.

Good on to Rob Simmons - certainly seemed to improve his consistency last year (as did Slipper).

Anyway, good luck to them - team looks great, and fingers crossed they have a blinder of a year.
I think Bob Simpson did a similar thing when world series came in.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Hunt being the on-field captain is a fairly unlikely prospect and even so, if it did happen, it's not like he would be the captain of a bunch of rookies. He would have help from the likes of Genia, Cooper, the Fainga'as, Gill, Thomson etc.
With any risk analysis you look at the likelihood of occurrence and the potential consequences together. Both are fairly low so in terms of risk, there's not much to worry about in my opinion. If Simmons gets injured the biggest worry for us is depth in that position!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Simmons is injured at all during the season then if say it is very likely Hunt will be on field captain as Slipper won't be playing 80 minutes.

Not that I know much about Simmons ability as captain in any case.

Seems to me that the most natural leader in the group is Gill surprised he didn't get a VC.

Status
Not open for further replies.