• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I just don't get the sign JOC (James O'Connor) hypothesis.
His plan is to play 1/2 a season in France.
Grace the Reds with his presence,on his way to the World Cup,then change to 7's so he can chalk up an Olympic Games.
Then back to France for the mega bucks.
That is not someone who buys into the team mindset.
It's all about him.
He should participate in a solo sport,not a team sport.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I would only consider him on a multi year deal. Even then I would have serious doubts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
salary cap will be less of an issues with the Faingaas likely to go and they take up a fair chunk.

Wouldn't want it all blown on JOC (James O'Connor), but there is becoming less and less options out there isn't there?

More players signing elsewhere.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would only consider him on a multi year deal. Even then I would have serious doubts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the whole reason he wont be at the Force told him if he wants in he needs to sign a 2 year contract but he refused hence he wont be a t the Force. If the Reds are happy to have him for a year then good luck t them.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
salary cap will be less of an issues with the Faingaas likely to go and they take up a fair chunk.

Wouldn't want it all blown on JOC (James O'Connor), but there is becoming less and less options out there isn't there?

More players signing elsewhere.

I still think you are overlooking your local talent and some other good young players you could mould, but it seems you want instant results. Draw a line in the sand now and you have 6-8 mths pre-seasons preparation for soup 2015 and the chance to blood new players without effecting the season as its gone.
'
Again, a reminder - J butler - Brumbies, Nigel Ah Wong - in Canberra. Young QLD players are walking away to seek better opportunity

T

Train Without a Station

Neither of them fill any voids though. Ah Wong struggled for impact and Butler was more of the same at 6/8.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Mogg is staying in Canberra and Fardy has also re-signed. Any other 15s around that could potentially be poached? Woodward maybe. The NZ teams have way too many top 15s so maybe someone like Piutau could be had for a couple of years until Dagg and Smith move out of his way for the AB jersey.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Again, a reminder - J butler - Brumbies, Nigel Ah Wong - in Canberra. Young QLD players are walking away to seek better opportunity

This will be the way for a long time to come. When the overwhelming majority of the players are coming out of NSW and Qld, there will be a lot that have to go elsewhere for opportunity.

The Reds still have plenty of young Queenslanders in their roster. It's not like they're ignoring them in any way, shape or form.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I still think you are overlooking your local talent and some other good young players you could mould, but it seems you want instant results. Draw a line in the sand now and you have 6-8 mths pre-seasons preparation for soup 2015 and the chance to blood new players without effecting the season as its gone.
'

I think that's the opposite of what we are doing. I think we are relying too much on our homegrown talent. Its why we've had to chuck JJ Tualagi (well, a very loose interpretation of home grown) in there. Similarly Placid.

Graham has marshaled the youngsters well. I'd suggest both Kerevi and Kurindrani would have played by now. Them and Placid and Browning and Paraka and Kite and Gale and Greene are all very exciting options and will continue to develop.

What we need, though, is some ready made players now. We need some big boppers on the back of the scrum and outwide.

Preferably proven big boppers.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think that's the opposite of what we are doing. I think we are relying too much on our homegrown talent. Its why we've had to chuck JJ Tualagi (well, a very loose interpretation of home grown) in there. Similarly Placid.

Graham has marshaled the youngsters well. I'd suggest both Kerevi and Kurindrani would have played by now. Them and Placid and Browning and Paraka and Kite and Gale and Greene are all very exciting options and will continue to develop.

What we need, though, is some ready made players now. We need some big boppers on the back of the scrum and outwide.

Preferably proven big boppers.

Fair points. I suppose from my prospective I see a lot of comments in this forum from Reds supporters not happy about young players not getting their chance (EG:Browing recently) and losing players to other provinces - quality players at that. I understand you are looking for ready made players but I don't think there out there, and some of what is available needs to considered carefully. You may get lucky finding ready made players and if you do all good, In the mean time I do hope we see those player you mention on the field regularly and given time to develop as I think that they are the Reds future.

How about a punt on some pacific imports? Big, strong, fast?

One point I want to make clear about my comments - although I am certainly not a fan of the Reds, nor do I mourn like you when you lose or are failing, I hate to see the Reds performing poorly for the fans and Australian rugby.

I have a simple rule about comment regarding other soup teams, above 50% win loss ratio - gloves off, below its lets get you stood up and swinging again!

T

Train Without a Station

As somebody who considers themselves a fair and balances Reds supporter, there's not a single player we've lost to another state that I would complain about.

Higginbotham would have been good to keep, but not for what it would have cost.

Morahan could have been great to have, but he had been a fringe starter with us for years and probably needed to move on in his own interests.

Butler would have been good to keep also, but not at the expense of another player as he is in a similar mould to Quirk and Shatz.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fair points. I suppose from my prospective I see a lot of comments in this forum from Reds supporters not happy about young players not getting their chance (EG:Browing recently) and losing players to other provinces - quality players at that. I understand you are looking for ready made players but I don't think there out there, and some of what is available needs to considered carefully. You may get lucky finding ready made players and if you do all good, In the mean time I do hope we see those player you mention on the field regularly and given time to develop as I think that they are the Reds future.

Browning has had a 22 year old (Quirk) and 23 year old (Schatz) in front of him this season.

In most cases, it's not like the young players are being kept out by grizzled veterans.

T

tranquility

As somebody who considers themselves a fair and balances Reds supporter, there's not a single player we've lost to another state that I would complain about.

Higginbotham would have been good to keep, but not for what it would have cost.

Morahan could have been great to have, but he had been a fringe starter with us for years and probably needed to move on in his own interests.

Butler would have been good to keep also, but not at the expense of another player as he is in a similar mould to Quirk and Shatz.

What about PAE ?

T

tranquility

How about a punt on some pacific imports? Big, strong, fast?

One point I want to make clear about my comments - although I am certainly not a fan of the Reds, nor do I mourn like you when you lose or are failing, I hate to see the Reds performing poorly for the fans and Australian rugby.

I have a simple rule about comment regarding other soup teams, above 50% win loss ratio - gloves off, below its lets get you stood up and swinging again!

Your what?

While your charity is generous, I don't think we are in that much trouble.

I'm not really sure what point your making with the rest, but if it is that players need time to develop than I agree.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
you guys need an 8 and either a full back or a centre. granted you have had injuries in the back line this year, but everyone has, there isn't a lot of depth in your centres i think. faainga is far too one dimensional to make up for injuries to CFS (who is still very raw) and tapuai (who is starting to come on again). the fullback from the start of the year (name escapes me) has promise and pace but plagued by injuries. harris is not a fullback, he's a fill in at fullback.
if you have JOC (James O'Connor) back - get the contract right, in the reds' favor. but he could potentially fill that fullback/wing void that you currently have and also play 12 as needed if taps is out.

i have no idea who you'd pick up as an 8 - so best rush browning into the squad for next season.
Stay away fro Futo

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Your what?

While your charity is generous, I don't think we are in that much trouble.

I'm not really sure what point your making with the rest, but if it is that players need time to develop than I agree.

Thanks tranquillity - my charity is limited and in not intended to be prospective in operation. I think you missed the point as my statements don't have point as they are statement and thus are to be taken literally and in in the intended context of a partial response to an earlier post.

And as for how much trouble you are in the Reds did set the bar pretty low for a long time so most can see how much more trouble you can get in to. (sorry - charity got cut in the budget)

Yes, seeing players regularly on the field and given time to develop meant players need time to develop; so we do agree.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I just don't get the sign JOC (James O'Connor) hypothesis.
His plan is to play 1/2 a season in France.
Grace the Reds with his presence,on his way to the World Cup,then change to 7's so he can chalk up an Olympic Games.
Then back to France for the mega bucks.
That is not someone who buys into the team mindset.
It's all about him.
He should participate in a solo sport,not a team sport.

Is this actually his plan? Or just a rumour that was started on an internet forum & has now become truth? Show us a link or footage of him saying this or leave it in the rumour mill.

Status
Not open for further replies.