• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

The only problem with our current backrow is height, whilst all capable of jumping it does help having another jumper around 195cm to provide that third tall jumper.

I think that's where McDuling will come in, especially against some of the field position teams with good line-out.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am converted. I am now a fan of Quirk and Robinson, however I disagree with the much touted sentiment of how aggression/abrasiveness is their best asset. Eben Etzebeth is aggressive and abrasive, Quirk and Robinson are just lads who give a 110% and rarely lose the collision zone.

That's not a criticism as much as praise for their commitment. I think we can all agree that we would rather someone who puts it all in as they bleed red rather than some one who mindlessly puts it all in to making the other team bleed.

It might seem silly but this constant talk of how abrasive these two are, in the end just sells both lads short. Especially Quirk who i think is technically quite impressive for his age.

I think McDulling will start the season as a super sub as will browning. I don't imagine we will see many wholesale changes in the first few rounds to the core of the back five

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The only problem with our current backrow is height, whilst all capable of jumping it does help having another jumper around 195cm to provide that third tall jumper.

I think that's where McDuling will come in, especially against some of the field position teams with good line-out.

Yep that's pretty much what I was trying to say. I like your words better! :)

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I was pretty pissed but I sort of remember Beau getting on top of Warburton pretty easily in the Reds v. Lions match..

He's probably one of the most hard-nosed players in any competition anywhere and watching him play is always a treat. Reds are very fortunate to be able to have him as a second or even third option at a given position in the back row, speaks very well of our depth there this year.

That all said I'm still very concerned about our lack of a truly dominant carrier in the pack. To compound the problem Digby is hanging out with designers in Paris, so there goes the primary gain line option. CFS or one of the forwards who isn't Slipper/Kev has to really step up this year me provide the reliable go-forward. We all know what QC (Quade Cooper) can do with even a few meters of front foot ball. Reds will also probably have the fastest back three in the entire competition this year if Dom, Rod and Lachie are all starting. You can probably do the rest of the math!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think it will start with...
6- Quirk
7- Gill
8- Shatz

18- McDuling
19- Browning
20- Robinson (if we went a 6/2 split)

But I think McDuling is suited to 6 or 8 more than Lock, so I'd like to see Browning on for Quirk at around 55mins and then McDuling for Shatz with about 15 to go.

Lots of potential in those back row positions, still lacking a bit of experience however.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Quirk will have abreak-out season in 2014

My only criticisms are that sometimes his ball security is poorish and has the odd brain fart.

He is now a year older and experienced and i think both those areas will improve. - No doubting his agressiion and passion

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think it will start with.
6- Quirk
7- Gill
8- Shatz

18- McDuling
19- Browning
20- Robinson (if we went a 6/2 split)

But I think McDuling is suited to 6 or 8 more than Lock, so I'd like to see Browning on for Quirk at around 55mins and then McDuling for Shatz with about 15 to go.

Lots of potential in those back row positions, still lacking a bit of experience however.

I agree but browning at 8, and McDuling at 6.

T

Train Without a Station

I doubt they'll go for Browing and Robinson on the bench. Two very physically similar players really. Neither would be 8s at Super Rubgy level so you're covering the same 2 positions with both.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I doubt they'll go for Browing and Robinson on the bench. Two very physically similar players really. Neither would be 8s at Super Rubgy level so you're covering the same 2 positions with both.

I disagree with that. I'd have Beau as a 7 possible 6 and Browning a 6 possible 8 (and a very good 8 at that). Browning has a very good running game too so that may work in his favor as well.

T

Train Without a Station

Browning is also young and stepping up to the physicality of Super Rugby.

Was Shatz not a great Premier Rugby 8 who was introduced to Super Rugby mostly at 6 and 7 also? He developed into a Super Rugby 8, but wasn't ready to play there to begin with.

T

TOCC

Yep, they'll want O'Donoghue on the bench as cover for the primary line-out jumper(Simmons).

I'd say Robinson is the most likely to lose out due to the flexibility of the other players.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Yep, they'll want O'Donoghue on the bench as cover for the primary line-out jumper(Simmons).

I'd say Robinson is the most likely to lose out due to the flexibility of the other players.
So you're saying

18- O'Donoghue
19- Browning

It's a tough one. I think O'Donghue did his job very well last year, but I think McDuling offers a bit more.

It's a good problem to have, as it is with our backline. No problems with several players competing for spots.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm backing EOD and Beau. EOD was great last season and Beau has always been great when fit.

With injuries Browning and McDuling will surely get adequate opportunity.

T

TOCC

This is only an argument you can have at the start of the season, reassess midway and it will be about who is covering who's injury.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Any news as to whether any of the trial games (Reds in particular) will be televised?? I've just set up my Foxtel HD (will be my first rugby season with Foxtel :cool:); I thought perhaps we might get one or two early games.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Any news as to whether any of the trial games (Reds in particular) will be televised?? I've just set up my Foxtel HD (will be my first rugby season with Foxtel :cool:); I thought perhaps we might get one or two early games.

You're in for a treat. Going from free to air to Foxtel at the start of the S15 season is heaven for Rugby tragics. So. Much. Rugby. :D
Historically though, no. The trials aren't usually televised. But this may be due to the TV Camera unfriendliness of the venues. The Ballymore game would be more suited to it but I doubt will be covered.

EDIT: Oh and a word from the wise. If you have a significant other who has sensed the opportunity to record trashy reality shows, soapies and dancing/singing shows, whatever you do, don't let him/her discover the series link function. The HDD will be full before the weekend and all of your S15 games will fail to record. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.