• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Like everyone else, my intuition tells me this is the year of Curtis Browning.

T

TOCC

I don't think it has to be at anyones expense directly, i see Quirk, Shatz, Gill and Browning been largely interchangeable for the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly constant rotation amongst these players.

T

Train Without a Station

Well said Scrubber. With Quirk, Gill, Shatz and Robinson the Reds have one of the best back row units in the comp. Rivals the Force at their best.

I think to break into that unit even on the bench, a player would need to be able to cover 8 as that is the only position with no cover.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've been on the browning fan train for a while and agree with TOCC that the roles will be shares. But one we've overlooked is beau. We've always played better when he was in form and before he was injured towards the end of the year he was looking bloody fit. He's running again now and is due back for the 2nd trial but there's part of me that thinks he may get back in front of Gilly again this year. If only at the start of the season.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Quirk and Schatz both played every game last year from memory, and they started them all as well?

They dropped off a bit towards the back end of the season, think having another player like Browning who they can rotate with will be really useful. I wouldn't be putting too much pressure on Browning yet.

The Reds need a strong ball carrier in the back row. Quirk and Schatz aren't bad, but at least one of them needs to dominate the contact a bit more. The Reds miss a guy like Daley who can truck it up strongly in the tight.

T

TOCC

Im expecting to see a bit of Dave McDuling this season as well, lets hope the curse has been lifted and he can actually get some game time.

Richard Graham has suggested that they may look at playing Rob Simmons at blindside this season, i think its mostly talk and don't really see much bonus to doing so given the depth at lock compared to the back row.

T

Train Without a Station

I've been on the browning fan train for a while and agree with TOCC that the roles will be shares. But one we've overlooked is beau. We've always played better when he was in form and before he was injured towards the end of the year he was looking bloody fit. He's running again now and is due back for the 2nd trial but there's part of me that thinks he may get back in front of Gilly again this year. If only at the start of the season.

Beau isn't a very fashionable player so people always seem to forget about him or discount him.

Though I believe Graham will more likely use Beau once fit to rotate Gill out of the team at times due to his likelihood to play Wallaby games, and at 6 at other times.

Despite people's thoughts of Beau, Link always found a spot for him when fit, even at 6 despite the fact he's not a jumping option and he has always been a great, abrasive, hard working player for the reds. He offers a lot more than people realise as well. He's a hard hitting, hard running, linking, pilfering player.

I'd like to see Quirk spend a little time at 8 to allow Quirk and Robinson to be on the park together at times. I think the mongrel those two provide could be quite beneficial.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Thing about Beau was/is his unbridled passion for playing the game - putting his body on the line and such., Think that is a great motivation for the rest of the piggies

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Though I believe Graham will more likely use Beau once fit to rotate Gill out of the team at times due to his likelihood to play Wallaby games, and at 6 at other times.

IMO Richard Graham will not be thinking about how many minutes Australia's 3rd best No 7 will play for the Wallabies. If he was to think this way about any players, it would be QC (Quade Cooper), Genia and Horwill and I really can't see Graham keeping these guys fresh for Wallaby duties while he is trying to make a big impression in his first year as coach.

T

Train Without a Station

I was thinking more so for the Reds benefit.

Link was always pretty astute in ensuring he didn't burn out his own players.

Gill was used during the Rugby Championship, training with the Wallaby squad full time whilst the remainder of Reds squad members played club rugby and otherwise enjoyed their time off.

From their Gill, whilst used sparingly, toured Europe and as a result, was in the later group to return to training.

If Gill is used by the Wallabies at all in the inbound test tour, there's another period he is going to be undertaking a higher load to the remainder of the squad.

Any good coach would want to ensure he is at his best for the pointy end of Super Rugby, which may mean being "rotated" out at times. Having an able replacement in Beau Robinson, whose style also is better suited to some games (e.g. against SA opposition), makes it a potential option of great benefit to the Reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The benefit of Gill being able to jump is that the Reds can play him and Robinson at the same time and still have 3 or 4 jumping options. It will be an interesting year in the backrow if all stay fit for the majority of the season. We have 2 good options in all 3 positions if Browning goes as expected and if McDulling plays as he did in Sydney.

I do agree though in regards to a strong ball runner, we need someone to stand up in this area.

This discussion is getting me excited about the upcoming season.

T

Train Without a Station

I think 8 is our real position of concern. Shatz is great there at Super level, whilst not being a barnstorming runner, however we really have no back up that is Super Rugby quality.

Somebody like Hoiles, who could also back up at 6 and 7 would really be a great cheap acquisition in that regard.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Reds need to find more ball running from their forwards this year.

None of last year's backrow are great at it and Horwill hasn't been close to his best.

The Reds will need plenty from Slipper and Horwill this year and for the backrow to really step up. Robinson could see more game time if he's healthy because he provides a bit more of this than Gill. I still expect Gill to play the vast majority of the available game time at 7.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Im expecting to see a bit of Dave McDuling this season as well, lets hope the curse has been lifted and he can actually get some game time.

Richard Graham has suggested that they may look at playing Rob Simmons at blindside this season, i think its mostly talk and don't really see much bonus to doing so given the depth at lock compared to the back row.

How good a jumper is Dave? Because having a locking pair of Horwill and McDuling, with a backrow of Simmons, Schatz and Gill gives us a pretty awesome lineout if Dave is even average or better (in the air). Depending on the opposition/game plan this could provide a good option for Graham if needed.

On the EOYT Rob seemed to find that mojo that he's been somewhat missing since 2011 and whilst he's no Quirk at blindside, if the game plan calls for it, he is a more than adequate 6.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
How good a jumper is Dave? Because having a locking pair of Horwill and McDuling, with a backrow of Simmons, Schatz and Gill gives us a pretty awesome lineout if Dave is even average or better (in the air). Depending on the opposition/game plan this could provide a good option for Graham if needed.

On the EOYT Rob seemed to find that mojo that he's been somewhat missing since 2011 and whilst he's no Quirk at blindside, if the game plan calls for it, he is a more than adequate 6.

I'd swap McDulling and Simmons as Dave seems to be more a 6 than Rob. In saying that Quirk would be ahead of both in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.