• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm very happy about Meehan coming on board.

If we were to get Dean Benton that would be the icing on the cake.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I think things are looking great, but the only problem is that we need to realise that due to the average age of our players we are going to lose a lot of talent to other states as there will not be many spots coming up for grabs for a long time

Let's hope we learnt our lesson in 2006 when we lost a generation of talent and manage change properly keeping the team strong like the Saders seem to be able to do.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tough start to the year. 4 away games in the first 5 weeks which includes the SA trip in rounds 4 & 5.

Do not play the Chiefs and Bulls.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's good to do the SA tour early IMO, while (hopefully) Team Rehab remains small. Playing the four Saffa teams in a row will be a physical test though.

The teams not played: the Chiefs are top notch but the Reds match up well against them; and the Bulls are strong but they are losing a lot of their team next season ..... Morné, Potgieter x2, Chiliboy, Wepener, Kruger, Venter, Steenkamp, Sideshow Bob .....

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Brumbies (A) - 22 Feb
Waratahs (A) - 1 Mar
Cheetahs (H)- 7 Mar
Sharks (A) - 15 Mar
Lions (A) - 22 Mar
Stormers (H) - 29 Mar
Force (H) - 5 Apr
Brumbies (H) - 11 Apr
BYE
Hurricanes (A) - 26 Apr
Blues (A) - 2 May
Crusaders (H) - 11 May (Sunday arvo :) )
Rebels (H) - 17 May
BYE
Highlanders (H) - 30 May
BREAK
Rebels (A) - 27 Jun
Force (A) - 5 Jul
Waratahs (H) - 12 Jul

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Playing the Brumbies followed by the Waratahs as the first two games, both away, is a tough (and could be a season defining) call for the team.
Wins from these two games would be a big launch into the season. But at the same time two losses might take the wind out of our sails.
Our team leaders will need to all stand up for these games.
We certainly have the live stock. They just have to man up, and that is the question when the time comes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Envious of the Reds not playing the Chiefs or the Bulls!

Reds have beaten the Chiefs both home and away the last few years. Bulls account for the Reds easily away, but the Reds have beaten them at home in recent years. The Bulls are a side that is heading downwards, when most sides are heading the other way.

You'd think that I'd be happier not playing the Chiefs and Bulls, who finished 1 and 2 last year. Not the sides who I'd prefer the Reds to miss though, unfortunately :(

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Although, the Reds played the Bulls at home in 2013, so I guess in 2014 were due to play them away.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Envious of the Reds not playing the Chiefs or the Bulls!

Chiefs yeah definitely, the bulls I wouldn't count it as a blessing. They've lost a lot of players for the upcoming season, so I don't think they'll be as tough as they normally are this year.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
A lot of players down, and still a class outfit! They could line up like this:
Dean Greyling, Bandise Maku, Werner Kruger, David Bulbring, Flip van der Merwe, Jacques Engelbrecht, Arno Botha, Pierre Spies, Piet van Zyl, Louie Fouche, Francois Hougaard, Jan Serfontein, JJ Engelbrecht, Bjorn Basson, Jurgen Visser

v the Reds team of:
Greg Holmes, James Hanson, James Slipper, Rob Simmons, James Horwill, Ed Quirk, Liam Gill, Jake Schatz, Will Genia, Quade Cooper, Rod Davies, Ben Tapuai, Anthony Fainga'a, Dom Shipperly, Lachie Turner

I say that's a damn close game!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, but this side could put out a class outfit:

Tony Woodcock, Andrew Hore, Jamie Mackintosh, Brad Thorn, Jarrad Hoeata, TJ Ioane, John Hardie, Mose Tuiali'i, Aaron Smith, Colin Slade, Hosea Gear, Ma'a Nonu, Tamati Ellison, Kade Poki, Ben Smith.

17% win record. Rang the changes but never gelled. The right time and practice has to be put in to get the team

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeah, but this side could put out a class outfit:

Tony Woodcock, Andrew Hore, Jamie Mackintosh, Brad Thorn, Jarrad Hoeata, TJ Ioane, John Hardie, Mose Tuiali'i, Aaron Smith, Colin Slade, Hosea Gear, Ma'a Nonu, Tamati Ellison, Kade Poki, Ben Smith.

17% win record. Rang the changes but never gelled. The right time and practice has to be put in to get the team
Woodcock re-signed with the Blues, Hore hasn't re-signed to the Clan so will likely retire, Mackintosh is a LH, Gear is at Toulouse?, Ellison is at the Rebels, Poki is in Japan.

I hate to be nitpicky ;)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You're fine. Doesn't contradict my point since I was talking past tense.

Assembling a new side, even if they are class players, is not enough to make a class team.

Status
Not open for further replies.