• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
He is looking more confident. But with 30% oft he ball in the first half and an obvious goal of field position i don't think you can take much from any of the backs attack.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Steve Meehan is attack coach for next year
He's good.

Queensland Reds appoint Steve Meehan as attack coach

Posted 16 minutes ago​
Queensland has named Steve Meehan as its attack coach for the 2014 Super Rugby season. Meehan, a former premier grade coach in Brisbane, joins the Reds after one season on the coaching staff at the Force.​
He will work alongside forwards coach Nick Stiles, who also joined the Reds after a stint in Perth. Meehan has previously held coaching roles at European clubs Stade Francais and Bath.​

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
That appears to be a great signing! Meehan had no chance to shine at the Force, given Foley's overall philosophy and the cattle available.

I'm a bit lost here Hawko, insofaras I really don't understand what you mean by "given Foley's overall philosophy and the cattle available".

To quote Ms Hansen, please explain.

T

TOCC

I'm a bit lost here Hawko, insofaras I really don't understand what you mean by "given Foley's overall philosophy and the cattle available".

Foley's coaching tactics not only at the Force in 2013 but the Tahs in 2012 appeared to be the same, so let's assume this is his overall philosophy is to pressure the other team into losing rather then attacking through his own team to win...

As for cattle available at the Force, does that really need an explanation?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
It's fairly safe to say that between the new players signed and now Steve Meehan, Richard Graham's style will involve running from everywhere with an out-and-out attacking philosophy. Given the Reds' frustrating inability to score tries, but their at times tremendous ability to defend in 2012 and 2013, I'm excited.

I am nervous about set piece and defence though. But I'm not sure how much these nerves are coming from the inability of the Wallabies (led by Captain Kev) to do either.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Foley's coaching tactics not only at the Force in 2013 but the Tahs in 2012 appeared to be the same, so let's assume this is his overall philosophy is to pressure the other team into losing through rather then attacking through his own team to win.

As for cattle available at the Force, does that really need an explanation?

I didn't know cows could play rugby. Must be a bovine variation of the code

cowsatrugby.jpg

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

TOCC said it so much better than I could.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Do the Reds have a policy of only hiring coaching staff from the Force these days?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
So now we have an all Force coaching staff?

Did these guys all coach together at the Force? I am picking it is going to work out great. The force have never been easy beats even with their roster. The Reds have first rate facilities and a winning management and leadership structure forged by McCall, Link, Carmichael and Herbert. This coaching team will flourish with our settled team, most of which are coming into their rugby prime.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Meehan joined the Force after RG left. He sounds like he has an attacking mindset and will bring a fresh voice to the group.

While I'm happy to make some smart ass comments about us picking up Force coaches I'm glad there is a distinctive change from the Link era. RG needs to stamp his brand on the team and it will be easier to do with his own team. I'm quite optimistic about the Reds in 2014.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Styles did a good job with the Force forwards. I think he can do the same with the Reds forwards.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
To be honest I do question Stiles' coaching credentials as he hasn't really stuck around anywhere long enough to have a proven track record. I think he has been very smart about the roles he has taken and has landed the job he really wants. The next few years could be the making of him as a coach as I feel he has some good cattle at his disposal and I am hopeful he can get them to reach their potential.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
To be honest I do question Stiles' coaching credentials as he hasn't really stuck around anywhere long enough to have a proven track record. I think he has been very smart about the roles he has taken and has landed the job he really wants. The next few years could be the making of him as a coach as I feel he has some good cattle at his disposal and I am hopeful he can get them to reach their potential.

Thats my exact sentiments with Richard Graham.

Dude has no credentials. The Western Force were even more talented when he was there & they seem to be going a lot better now under the guidance of Foley.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Which is why it's good that he has his own team of coaches. If there was a legacy from Link then it would be an easy excuse. He has to perform and if they don't it's on his head.

T

TOCC

Reds are going to be wearing BLK jerseys next year, BLK is owned by the same owners as Kooga Australia but have changed their name.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have not been on here for a couple of weeks but have been getting excited about the Reds chances next year.

Saia get hammered all the time about not being a great scrum man but I think the Wallabies scrum has been better when he has gotten on the field the last two weeks, is it possible that the new method of scrums where you have to be able to hook for the ball is better suited to Saia than to Moore?

I think Slipper has been a bit quiet, but he seems to be a lot more intense in what he does, I think he is now man muscle rather than boy muscle and I expect him to improve and be even better.

I think Simmons is looking better, he is getting some pressure from the bench and I have always thought that he can get lazy if he is not worried for his spot, if he can be motivated he is another that is starting to get to the age where he will get into his prime. People forget he is only 24!

I am a little concerned for Kev though, he seems a little flat and while he is great, he seems to have lost his moments of brilliance.

I think we are looking good up front and the backs will be great too, Genia and Cooper are looking back to form.

I think the Reds will improve this year and make the finals and given the average age of the team then we could still stay relevant for a while yet.

1 Slipper 24
2 Saia 25
3 Anae 25
4 Simmons 24
5 Kev 28
6 Quirk 22
7 Gill 21
8 Shatz 23
9 Genia 25
10 Cooper 25
11 Davies 24
12 Taps 24
13 CFS 20
14 Shipperly 22
15 Frisby 21

That comes to just under 23 1/2 years average age if I have added up correctly. Imagine in 6 years time! we will possibly have multiple players with 150+ S15 games!

I think things are looking great, but the only problem is that we need to realise that due to the average age of our players we are going to lose a lot of talent to other states as there will not be many spots coming up for grabs for a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.