• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Got a lot of dirty looks for yelling out from the polite applause mob which is disappointing.

TO be fair its hard for the crowd to fire up when its this early in the season, we are playing a side who nobody knows and it doesn't really matter if we lose.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Squad for two-week tour of South Africa:
Props
Ben Daley (prop)
Greg Holmes
Jono Owen
James Slipper
Albert Anae

HookersSaia Fainga'aJames Hanson
LocksJames Horwill (C)Dave McDuling*Ed O'DonoghueRob Simmons
Loose forwardsLiam GillEddie QuirkBeau RobinsonJake Schatz
ScrumhalvesNick FrisbyWill Genia (VC)
FlyhalvesQuade CooperBen Lucas
CentresAnthony Fainga'aChris Feauai-SautiaMike Harris Ben Tapuai
Outside backsRod DaviesDom ShipperleyAidan TouaLachie Turner
*Uncapped and first tour to South Africa with the Reds.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Beau was good last night
Our pigs will need to play out of their skin to give us a snowball's chance in hell kitchen of beating the sharks at home.

Also, CFS did a large amount of his damage on the left wing last night (except for chasing that grubber for a try), I still think we should play him there. Davies added some zest so I guess it's between him and Turner for the other wing spot. Unfortunately for shippers I he's probably not shown quite as much on attack as the others and should miss out this week I think.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Got a lot of dirty looks for yelling out from the polite applause mob which is disappointing.

TO be fair its hard for the crowd to fire up when its this early in the season, we are playing a side who nobody knows and it doesn't really matter if we lose.

It would've really mattered if we lost. But I thought we had things fairly well in control for most of the match.
Hopefully the "We are Red" bloke gets screaming again next match. Or we get cheerleaders... or both!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Give them hell mate. I get the same thing every year when I come down for the Brumbies game. When you get weird looks, that is your call to get louder.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Call me old-fashioned by I don't like urging by a local supporter over the PA system. The Reds have home ground advantage at Suncorp, isn't that enough? TBH, I'd never heard such a thing until the announcer gave Roger a big boost during one interstate match at Ballymore. Even parochial Chelsea supporters at Stamford Bridge don't need PA boosting, nor did any VFL/AFL match I've been to. And any rugby match I've attended in New Zealand, the most one-eyed supporters on the planet. Same with the (too) many league and soccer matches I've seen over the years. Brisbane's it for me, although I've read the PA announcer at Pretoria does something similar.

Now if the crowd bursts out with WE ARE RED, fantastic.

On another note: the Members at the SFS give the dirtiest looks when someone lets out a cheer. The same people who always leave five minutes before the final whistle to make a quick getaway.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Call me old-fashioned by I don't like urging by a local supporter over the PA system. The Reds have home ground advantage at Suncorp, isn't that enough? TBH, I'd never heard such a thing until the announcer gave Roger a big boost during one interstate match at Ballymore. Even parochial Chelsea supporters at Stamford Bridge don't need PA boosting, nor did any VFL/AFL match I've been to. And any rugby match I've attended in New Zealand, the most one-eyed supporters on the planet. Same with the (too) many league and soccer matches I've seen over the years. Brisbane's it for me, although I've read the PA announcer at Pretoria does something similar.

Now if the crowd bursts out with WE ARE RED, fantastic.

On another note: the Members at the SFS give the dirtiest looks when someone lets out a cheer. The same people who always leave five minutes before the final whistle to make a quick getaway.

Nah - the guy giving it heaps over the PA does lift the crowd engagement. For the home team anyway. Otherwise it just ends in a fairly tame atmosphere and got to keep the punters entertained if you want them to come back. In the really big matches it's not really needed as the crowd is going off a lot of the time but for the not-so-big ones it lifts the place.

Basketball has been doing it for decades to try lift their team.

Maybe it's time the Reds started pumping that Queen Classic "We will Ruck You" through the stands...

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
He was there but didn't do it and, to be honest with you, I missed him. Not a lot of atmosphere last night I felt.

Thought Beau was fantastic last night. Id be starting him against the saf teams. Adds some much needed starch. Unfortunately I think that means Gill on the bench.

I don't miss him. I reckon the atmosphere suffered from the early Friday night start, with a lot of punters not taking to their seats till sometime after kickoff. I don't like manufactured atmosphere, it irks me. Great not having to listen to the latest pop hits or cliched rock songs blasted at unhealthy decibels to.
I just like my footy the old fashioned way, pie, beer, 30 players on the field ripping it up & the crowd cheering when it's justified. (cheerleaders wouldn't go astray though ;) )

I'd start Beau at 6, Quirk to 8 with Schatz on the pine, I feel he hasn't been very effective thus far.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Nah - the guy giving it heaps over the PA does lift the crowd engagement. For the home team anyway. Otherwise it just ends in a fairly tame atmosphere and got to keep the punters entertained if you want them to come back. In the really big matches it's not really needed as the crowd is going off a lot of the time but for the not-so-big ones it lifts the place.

Basketball has been doing it for decades to try lift their team.

Maybe it's time the Reds started pumping that Queen Classic "We will Ruck You" through the stands.

Perfect example of why I can't stand basketball!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Ah stuff the polite applause brigade & the don't get out of the seat when excited killjoys to, this is the organic atmosphere that brings chills to the spine (as long as it's not crass) Yell your lungs out, you've paid for the privilege!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We are Red is artificial if invoked by some dueche with a microphone. What gets me is how badly it rolls off the tongue. That's why it never lasts. A crowd engineered chant of Reds would suffice nicely.

I thought the
lions game last year was a nice break away from the we are red chant. :D

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ok, any body got the good oil on how Anae is going? Correct me if wrong but isn't he playing TH? How is it going?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ruggo - he seems to be going nowhere ATM - thought this year he would have been the reserve LHP behind Slipper but Daley seems to have that gig.
Saia and Hanson seem to have 2 locked up

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Schatz should stay and Quirk to the bench for mine. Quirk has had a lower work rate than you would want from your 6 and has been ineffective in a lot of his involvements. Schatz on the other hand is actually very important to our defensive line out right now.

Beau in at 6. He isn't your traditional 6 but has been running the ball just as well (if not better) than any of our back rowers so who the fuck cares at this point.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Stats indicate a lower level of involvement from Quirk than you would want from a "high work rate" back rower and my film review backed that up. Schatz may be struggling to impact as well but he has more positive involvements and actually has been pretty effective in our line out, especially defensively. He gets off the ground faster than any of our jumpers right now and when you are defending in the front pod that's pretty crucial.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Fair enough USARugger, I'm just going on what I see live and like I said it's probably the hair colour that makes him stand out more on one viewing. I hope they can both stand up & be counted but it seems like they're both pretty similar in style & effectiveness, when on song, without being dynamic & game changing. Anyway Beau in for either would be good for the next game at least. Gill is to valuable to bench, if fit.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ruggo - he seems to be going nowhere ATM - thought this year he would have been the reserve LHP behind Slipper but Daley seems to have that gig.
Saia and Hanson seem to have 2 locked up

Yeah I have been wondering where he's hiding as well. Daley has to go, as I said earlier.

Anae is on the plane to SA if I remember rightly.

T

tranquility

Gill adds detail to our breakdown work, that Beau just could never compete with. However Beau is obviously far more physical and lifts the pace of the game. If he were to start at 6 it would be at the expense of Quirk, as Ed hasn't played any super rugby at 8 so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.