• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I said before the game that Graham had lost the plot with his Bench choices. There is one player that should be guaranteed a spot in the 23 for Queensland, and that is Ben Lucas. Who in their right mind would pick a reserve 9 more prone to the brain-explosion than a flash of brilliance? Couple that with the fact that Lucas can cover 9, 10, 12 & 15 and. you have player that enables you to play a 6/2 split.
Oh and Graham picked two 12's on the bench. Idiocy.

Ben Lucas has been injured for weeks now, last weeks game for Reds A was his comeback from injury..

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yep I agree on Toua, highly talented but lacking in the fundamentals, maybe he needs a few more game to find his rhythm but after they might need to start looking elsewhere

Good call. I'd bench him this week though, his defence will be found out and he turns over too much ball which the Sharks will punish. Davies looked good on the wing and deserves to retain his spot. Could do worse than give Turner a chance at the back, he is definitely in the best back line when fit. Unfortunately that means dropping Tapuai or Fainga'a from the bench, my choice is Taps.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't remember the drums?

The We are Red chant makes me cringe, even as I shout it out.

What is wrong with "REH-EHDS" - performed in the tone and pitch of the classic hit 'BUUULLLL-SHIT'

It's loud, droning and you can have a whole stadium shouting it together.

Sad:(

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Yep I agree on Toua, highly talented but lacking in the fundamentals, maybe he needs a few more game to find his rhythm but after they might need to start looking elsewhere

We've known we need a 'real' 15 (for general reference think Latham, Dagg and Mogg when on song) since 2012, and IMO we've done a poor job at addressing that need right up to 2014. If we knew the question, surely, on current viewing, the answer is clearly not Toua. Toua is a light, impressively quick winger on his presently demonstrated skill base, and just maybe a reserve 12.

It's very hard to imagine being credible as S15 champ contenders in today's comp without a proper 15, and where a crack 15 who understands positional and support play linking well with QC (Quade Cooper)'s style of 10 would add hugely to QC (Quade Cooper)'s options and thus the team's attack as a whole. Let alone the crucial skill of accurate, long kicking from hand and how that in itself can build attacking momentum.

If we're searching for QLD-ers from say the Reds A ranks and not imports, I'd wager that Jonah Placid or Sam Greene could develop more rapidly as proper 15s than will Toua. OK, let's be hopeful and positive and prey Toua gets the right coaching support and improves in the fundamentals of 15 play as the season builds.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Toua's defense is a big time concern for this weekend. Cheetahs 3rd try and he doesn't get a hand on the scorer. Even when the bloke running at you has support that doesn't mean you don't take him the fuck out and try and make his pass go forward with a jolting hit or something

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think that Toua's weakest area is his kicking. Every time I have seen him kick I think 'Oh f*ck boy. RUN IT!!'

What about JJ as 15?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

I keep hearing this but I think the few more games to find his feet should be with Reds A. I have not seen anything from him (apart from a very good try) that shows he's up to Super level. Turner or Lucas to 15 for mine.
Benny Lucas just has to be in the match squad!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Wow, bit harsh on Toua I would think. I remember Latham's first few games for the Tah's. Pretty sure his speed was his best asset. He fixed things up and became a well rounded player.

I also remember in 2011 we didn't have a 15. How did we go that year?

I wouldn't be adverse to hiding Quade at 15 in defence again though. He has a great kick, long pass, great vision and has the pace to beat the defence if he sees the opportunity.

Lucas has played 2 A games now so it would make sense for him to be on the bench. Having 3 12's in the match day 23 is a bit overkill. I guess Harris can cover 15 and Ant has played a lot of 13 out of necessity. It is looking more like Taps would be the one to go as he really is only a 12, has played 13 and 10 (in club land and for U20's).

T

TOCC

Whilst I've been critical of his defence, in attack he at least runs the ball back with pace and whilst small I stature he is quite good in contact when running the ball...

Benny Lucas may become an option after South Africa, that will be a real test for Toua.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Toua has been one of the top Metre gaining backs in the comp so far. Think he definitely deserves to hold his spot at this stage.

What we could do with is a younger version of Radike Samo. Just think we're missing a really dynamic forward.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think we need spark in our back line. We lacked it until Rocket and CFS came in. I'd be hesitant to ditch Aidos. I think he needs the confidence of being told "you're in the side for the first half of the year at least".

Plus I don't think we have the alternatives. Turner maybe but I don't think his kicking is much chop. Wouldn't want to pick a fullback for his defensive abilities.

I don't think Harris is a fullback and I just don't rate Lucas. He's had many chances and never grabbed them. Goes MIA in the big games too.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Issue with the Reds is tackle busting players in the backline. Guys who can beat other guys one on one with more than just speed.

Turner isn't one, Davies isn't one, Harris isn't one, Fainga'a isn't one, Taps isn't one, Shipperley isn't one. Some of these may have the potential to be, but currently they are not.

Digby was one. Quade is one.

Toua may be one, CFS may be one. I guess, being short of other options, we need to stick with those guys and hope they come through. Toua, though, needs to hold onto the ball once he's tackled.

Hopefully was can find a fullback/outside centre/wing who is a threat to defenders with ball in hand. Young guys like Kerevi, JJ, Kuridrani etc may be there in a few years, but that doesn't help now.

Look at the Tahs backline and Brumbies backline, they have players like Kuridrani, Tomane, Speight, Betham, Folau, etc who can beat defenders and break tackles.

Would be great to have another one or two of those players in the backline rather than speedy guys and midfield play makers / defensive lynchpins.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Issue with the Reds is tackle busting players in the backline. Guys who can beat other guys one on one with more than just speed.

Turner isn't one, Davies isn't one, Harris isn't one, Fainga'a isn't one, Taps isn't one, Shipperley isn't one. Some of these may have the potential to be, but currently they are not.

Digby was one. Quade is one.

Toua may be one, CFS may be one. I guess, being short of other options, we need to stick with those guys and hope they come through. Toua, though, needs to hold onto the ball once he's tackled.

Hopefully was can find a fullback/outside centre/wing who is a threat to defenders with ball in hand. Young guys like Kerevi, JJ, Kuridrani etc may be there in a few years, but that doesn't help now.

Look at the Tahs backline and Brumbies backline, they have players like Kuridrani, Tomane, Speight, Betham, Folau, etc who can beat defenders and break tackles.

Would be great to have another one or two of those players in the backline rather than speedy guys and midfield play makers / defensive lynchpins.
Thats a fair call you guys could really use a Speight/Honey Badger

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yes, way too much talk about the backs. With CFS and Toua in there we have a good mix of speed, hard running and ball skills out wide. These guys maybe raw, but their upside is much higher than the other options. We need to stick with them and keep ironing out their flaws.

One change I would be looking at is Fa'aingaa into 12 to lead the defense. I don't see the need for Harris as a second ball player when Toua is good enough for that role when needed. In fact he is better than Harris as a distributor.

Actually to me Toua is very similar to Beale as a fullback. Lets hope he can be 2010 Beale in the near future.

Now onto the forwards. Physicality, or lack thereof is clearly the issue for the Reds. We have a bunch of hard workers and great tacklers, but really lack go forward from the pigs. We need to find a monster that can make metres and attract defenders in close to the ruck. I would also look to use Quirk a bit wider - he seems by far the fastest of our forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.