• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Don't think dropping QC (Quade Cooper) is the answer. We saw his backup last year and it wasn't bad but those players aren't the answer. Last time people talked about dropping him was at the end of the 2009 season just before he put on 2 years as the best 10 in the comp.

Think he needs a lady friend, anyone know a pretty brunette willing to take one for the team?

Was just watching the Force game, his head isn't right. That charge-down actually has me at a loss for words right now. Hopefully this lady can get his head on level again because that was just atrociously bad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
QC (Quade Cooper) will be fine when the Reds pack provides him consistently quick ball
The challenge for the Reds pack is that every side has learnt the lesson 'slow down the ball and you make QC (Quade Cooper) ineffectual'

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
EVERY 10 plays well, when they receive consistently quick ball.
The difference between the good ones and the average ones are what they do with so so ball.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah fatprop that charge down was unbelievably bad and had nothing to do with the speed of the pill he received. Have to agree with USARugger. It was a kick that he fielded with miles of space - he took about 15 odd steps and took 3-4 secs to get his foot to the ball!

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
One of the big things that I took out of the game, and I'm frankly surprised nobody else has mentioned it, is that Hugh McMeniman is back and looks pretty good at super rugby level. With the news that Samo is having a 2nd arthroscopy on his knee today, and the the Reds are consciously managing AWH's match workload because of his knees, Hugh is looking like an increasingly attractive recruitment target for the Reds (who haven't done a lot of recruiting recently). Horwill will hopefully have paid his injury dues and play the next 4-5 years, Simmons likewise but after that our 2nd row cover is basically Ed O'Donoghue, thats it. The other two are in the twilight of the twilight of their careers. Add to that the fact that Hugh is at least as good a 6 as he is 4/5 and I think the Reds would be mad not to make a play to bring him home if he can convince them that his body is durable enough.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There's been plenty of talk about MMM being an good option to replace our lock stocks, but we also have some good young locks coming through. Blake Enever is coming on nicely and although I haven't ever seen him play, Dave McDuling from all reports will be very good for us once he gets his hinges right. He's been averaging one knee reco per season over the last two seasons so hopefully he's got that out of his system now and next year he has a big one!

All that being said though, I was a big fan of MMM before he left Aus and would love to see him back in Red. A locking duo of Horwill and MMM would be pretty awesome!

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I know there has been whispers and casual speculation, but I'm just noting it didn't jump into overdrive after the Force game like it did in my head. Though I agree with you Enever is quality and I'm a massive fan of McDuling (pretty confident he would have made his debut this year if his knees had held up, I hope the Reds rate him enough to hang onto him for 1 more season)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
MMM stated he wanted to come back to QLD first, but they couldn't work it out or something. But that's why he is only on a 1 year contract with the Force, so he has that opportunity to come back to QLD.

Enever should be alright, he's only 21/22 and plays consistently good footy. He'll be good to go as a Super Rugby player in a year. He wouldn't let anyone down playing as one now if he was needed.

McDuling will be lucky to get his contract re-newed. That's nothing against his talent, but two full seasons out with injury doesn't exactly bode well. The last time I saw him play, about 2 seasons ago for University he was dominant and looked a good player, but you have to wonder if it is worth keeping him.

Wallace-Harrison seems a bit off this year. Nowhere near the form of last season. He'll be around for 1 more year at the most.

Samo. Last season I suspect. At his age, injuries will really affect him.

So I suspect they will sign O'Donoghue onto a fulltime contract next season (he gained one this year), and then look at getting McMenimen to come back over. That should cover McDuling, Wallance-Harrison and Samo, two of which will probably not be there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah fatprop that charge down was unbelievably bad and had nothing to do with the speed of the pill he received. Have to agree with USARugger. It was a kick that he fielded with miles of space - he took about 15 odd steps and took 3-4 secs to get his foot to the ball!

those cluster f*cks are just part of the QC (Quade Cooper) package

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
They definitely are. I've always taken the hot with the cold, but that one, I just can't get my head around. It was particularly bad even for his standards. If he was actually trying to get it charged down he couldn't have tried harder.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Next 2 matches in New Zealand are massive for the Reds now. Hopefully they'll get back Gill, Shipperley and Samo for next Friday's match in Dunedin.

The Highlanders will be desperate to get a win but the Reds should be too. It's not like their draw will be getting easier with the Chiefs and Brumbies to follow.

They showed more tonight than any other game this season but next week they've got to hit their straps.

Schatz and Quirk started the season off well but seem to have struggled for a couple of weeks now with stupid errors. Might be time to freshen up what's happening there.

Genia should be back playing the full 80 next week. Hopefully Horwill too.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
A much better performance by the reds, even if the Bulls looked off the pace.

Good to see QC (Quade Cooper) step as well, a lot more confident.

Great to have Genia and Horwill back as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Quirk should be dropped and sent back to play club rugby for a while. How many penalities did he give away?

I don't mind a player overreaching and going a bit too far, but Quirk's transgressions were just outright stupidity.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Next 2 matches in New Zealand are massive for the Reds now. Hopefully they'll get back Gill, Shipperley and Samo for next Friday's match in Dunedin.

The Highlanders will be desperate to get a win but the Reds should be too. It's not like their draw will be getting easier with the Chiefs and Brumbies to follow.

They showed more tonight than any other game this season but next week they've got to hit their straps.

Schatz and Quirk started the season off well but seem to have struggled for a couple of weeks now with stupid errors. Might be time to freshen up what's happening there.

Genia should be back playing the full 80 next week. Hopefully Horwill too.
We really need to win twice in NZ to put some pressure on the Brumbies. Their first overseas trip got 5 points, so we need to get at least 5 points to keep up, rally a minimum of 8 points should be our target in NZ and then hope for at least 5 points when we go to South Africa. I am not confidant of the South African trip this season.

I think we will get to 35 points at best
Away Highlanders 4 points
Bye 4 points
Away Chiefs 1 point loss
Home Brumbies 4 points (50% confident)
Home Blues 4 points (50% confident)
Away Force 4 points
Home Sharks 4 points (50% confident)
Away Cheetahs 1 point loss (50% chance of winning)
Away Stormers 0 point loss
Home Rebels 5 point win
Bye 4 points

If we can stay injury free and our combinations start to work I think this is all possible, ACT in Brisbane will be massive, At this stage I am in no way confident we can even get a 4 try bonus point, this nearly cost us last year of a finals spot and we need to pick some up.

I have the brumbies beating our ladder position by heaps! I think we are playing for a playoff birth but not the Australian champion spot.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Quirk should be dropped and sent back to play club rugby for a while. How many penalities did he give away?

I don't mind a player overreaching and going a bit too far, but Quirk's transgressions were just outright stupidity.

Agreed! I think he gave away 12 points last night through very poor discipline.
I thought Browning didn't look out of place & I expect to hear his name a lot in the coming years.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Agreed! I think he gave away 12 points last night through very poor discipline.
I thought Browning didn't look out of place & I expect to hear his name a lot in the coming years.

The only charitable thing I can think about Quirk's display is that maybe he got a head knock. Otherwise, if this sort of stupidity happened in a horse race, the stewards would be holding an enquiry, looking at betting patterns, etc.

A couple of the young fellas in the Australian Sevens squad look pretty good, too, not sure which provinces they will eventually play for.

something

Jim Clark (26)
yeah i thought Browning was really good, i was at the game live so i couldnt get a really good look at him but he didn't fuck up (i think?) and made one really good pop pass to anae which was solid

Status
Not open for further replies.