• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
As much as the Reds need Genia I really hope they don't rush him back and end up doing more harm than good... either to his confidence or to his knee.

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
Reds Team is up early....

St.George Queensland Reds v Hurricanes Team
1. Greg Holmes
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. James Slipper (c)
4. Rob Simmons
5. Ed O’Donoghue
6. Eddie Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Jake Schatz
9. Ben Lucas
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai (vc)
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Aidan Toua

16. James Hanson
17. Albert Anae
18. Adam Wallace-Harrison
19. Radike Samo
20. Nick Frisby
21. Mike Harris
22. Luke Morahan

T

tranquility

Reds Team is up early..

9. Ben Lucas
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai (vc)
13. Chris Feauai-Sautia
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Aidan Toua

I have mooted this backline over the last couple of weeks, and god I am excited about it. Aidan is THAT good, and Link must be a true believer. I'm dizzy.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have mooted this backline over the last couple of weeks, and god I am excited about it. Aidan is THAT good, and Link must be a true believer. I'm dizzy.
Yeah, I like this set of backs for the potential speed it brings into the Reds play.
And I think that's going to be needed against the Hurricanes.
I hope its a dry track.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I am a big fan of Hanson but no one can deny that Saia was pretty close to outstanding on Saturday. Got through plenty of work in tight and made some dominant tackles which we haven't seen in a while

Unfortunately his lineout throwing wasn't up to scratch though.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
One is not clearly better than the other. THe coaches clearly think Fainga'a is a better starter and Hanson is a finisher. Can't see the problem myself.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why can't we start with Hanson?
I think Link probably wants the best team on the field (massive Saia fan here!). I too would like to see a change, I would like to see Hanson start a game and see how he goes for 60 minutes against a starting team, and I would like to also see how Saia goes against a tired bench team for 20 minutes.

It is almost a different game by the time Hanson comes on normally, I want to be able to compare apples with apples

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
One is not clearly better than the other. THe coaches clearly think Fainga'a is a better starter and Hanson is a finisher. Can't see the problem myself.

Saia gets around and smashes blokes like a sledgehammer in defense, he hurt many a tah on the weekend. Hanson loves the fight in tight and closes out the game pretty well I reckon. They both bring a lot to the Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
remember the selection of the bench is not always about how the coach wants to start the game, but also how they want to finish it.

I thought Hanson, Anae, Butler were all fantastic when they came on against the Tahs.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
remember the selection of the bench is not always about how the coach wants to start the game, but also how they want to finish it.

I thought Hanson, Anae, Butler were all fantastic when they came on against the Tahs.

Anae was a bit of a revelation when he came on, made some good runs. Glad to see we have given up on the idea of using him as a hooker.

Butler out injured? Any news on what the problem is?

T

tranquility

Anae was a bit of a revelation when he came on, made some good runs. Glad to see we have given up on the idea of using him as a hooker.

Butler out injured? Any news on what the problem is?

I agree, he must have had a massive off-season. He was so strong on the counter-ruck leading up to Quirks run away train impression.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

The sheer firepower at 10-15 in this lineup has me watering at the mouth...

I really do like Ant and what he brings to our backs in terms of organizing the defense and creating turnovers to provide broken play opportunities for Quade, etc but if Link and the Reds staff have truly fixed the mechanical issues with CFS' running style he has the potential to be one of the greatest players QLD has ever produced. I haven't seen nearly as much of Aidan (access to domestic and 3rd-tier competition in Oz for an American is extremely limited) but what I have heard of him has me very, very excited.

Really though watching those few runs CFS had against the 'Tahs where he was stepping and bumping 4-6 tacklers in the space of a few metres had me giddy last weekend, the kid is an animal.

I am a big fan of Hanson but no one can deny that Saia was pretty close to outstanding on Saturday. Got through plenty of work in tight and made some dominant tackles which we haven't seen in a while

Have to agree with you here, normally I think Saia floats between being a grafter and occasionally being a little anonymous but I was following CFS with some intent while I watched the game and Saia still stood out to me for most of the match. He was coming out of the line harder than I've ever seen him and was hammering some blokes at the gain line, and pushing them behind it on occasion. He even caught up to Mitchell when he nearly made a half-break after a little defensive lapse by the man outside Saia (although this may be down to Mitchell still not quite having his first few steps of pace back yet).

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Supposed to have been cleared to play. CFS would have to be on Shipperleys wing if he were to be 'unleashed'. Not sure that will happen but if the Reds can't get space out wide again it could be a good substitution. Shipperley is a great finisher but needs to start getting off his wing.
Never got around to saying thanks - so thanks.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Really like the team. Also the bench is stronger with Samo on it in my opinion as it gives us a strong ball runner to come on late in the game.

On the Hanson selection I think he will be used to start against the SA teams when they will look to play things tight early so Saia can come on late to do his thing. It's a horses for courses thing.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
The sheer firepower at 10-15 in this lineup has me watering at the mouth.

Really though watching those few runs CFS had against the 'Tahs where he was stepping and bumping 4-6 tacklers in the space of a few metres had me giddy last weekend, the kid is an animal.

Actually a 'beast'. Hence his nick name.

Status
Not open for further replies.