• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
His nickname is "Beast Mode", a reference to Beast Wars which was a Transformers spinoff in the 90s when plenty of the players were kids.

The commentators misquoted the nickname, though perhaps they call him Beast for short.
I thought beast mode was from the running back from the Seattle Seahawks, Marshawn Lynch, he might have got it from a Transformers spinnoff

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry TD, but after two rounds I thought it was a good time to bump a couple of these posts.

I think quirk will be lucky to have his contract renewed next time around.

I am not sayign he isnt up to super 15 but he isnt offering anything that isn't easily found in other players and ah wong and brownning by all reports are shaping up as rampant ball runnners which is what we will need more when samo hangs up the boots than a run of the mill kind of backrower who is servicable accorss all positions. As realistically they could pick up another rookie to do that for much cheaper

Quirk hasn't...its not an attack on his ability but realistic view that he offers nothign that the reds don't already have in spades which is a player who can take the field and produce an acceptable output. He is not an outstanding pilferer of the ball ala gill, nor is he a devastating runner ala Samo and Higginbotham and nor is he an outstanding workhorse who does more than his share of work ala robinson and schatz.

Now if the reds are happy to have a player who can be ther eto come on for 20 minutes a hit some rucks make a few tackles and have a run, then fine keep quirk.

But if they want a player who could possibly be a devastating runner, mechanical heart workhorse or excellent pilferer its time to move on.

OK, i think we are all just little upset cause I said quirk won't get contract renewal andhe is easts golden son.

It's not a slight on him i just don't think he has done that much to be banging on the door for one and i can't see his game furthering much from where it is. Maybe at another franchise or in another comp it could (which is likely if you look at history)

So if i was the reds i would let Mr. Quirk go out into the world on his own as it would hardly be worthwhile for the team or ed to sign him for another 3 years so he can sit bench and or play club rugby.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I did accept that so far quirk has proven me wrong. But I stand by the statement that he needed such performances to keep his contract and I am sure there are people who agree with me......

If this form continues I will officially have to eat my hat

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
thierry dusautoir makes a shit load of big calls on this forum. He is wrong a lot for sure, but he's also right a lot.

I'd hate for somebody to trawl through my comment history, I've had some howlers (for example, I thought Richard Brown would eventually be a world class player for a period around 07/08).

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Sorry TD, but after two rounds I thought it was a good time to bump a couple of these posts.

TD, you can come out from hiding in the corner now - Quirky has said all is forgiven and that your comments actually stirred his game up. (Just jesting)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I
TD, you can come out from hiding in the corner now - Quirky has said all is forgiven and that your comments actually stirred his game up. (Just jesting)

I am still preparing a hamper basket just in case.......

thierry dusautoir makes a shit load of big calls on this forum. He is wrong a lot for sure, but he's also right a lot.

Risk it for the biscuit

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I did accept that so far quirk has proven me wrong. But I stand by the statement that he needed such performances to keep his contract and I am sure there are people who agree with me..

If this form continues I will officially have to eat my hat

I'll throw my hand up and say I was with you on this train of thought TD! Like you I never thought he didn't have huge potential but I feared he might fall into the injury black-hole that many other talented young guns have over the years and had perhaps lose his mojo in the meantime. And like you said with a glut of talented young players at his heals he needs to perform this year to ensure he's around in seasons to come. I'm glad he has thus far and fingers crossed his body holds up. Plus he's a great bloke who deserves a solid run at Super Rugby

T

tranquility

The reality is that he is head and shoulders above Browning and Ah Wong at this stage. However both have considerable upside. The only thing that had been holding him back was Higgers, however just like Tapuai all that time in clubland working on the chinks in his armour now makes him a better player than had he been thrown into the lions (oar dun the pun) earlier. Blokes need to earn their shot, and having middle aged players improves squads because of this.

T

tranquility

Ah Wong, from what I saw in the trials, is pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing him against the big guns.

Without a doubt. Although he is behind Butler, (and perhaps Browning) who is not even in the 22 at the minute. I'm sure we will see them all during the year, but the beauty of the depth is that all opportunities will be earned through training form / club rugby.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
It makes me sad that higgers signed for 3 years down in melbourne, being that radike is probably on the tail end of the tail end of his Super rugby days. Would have loved to have seen the rapidly maturing Quirky, Higgers and gilly all playing for queensland. Not that i don't rate Schatz or believe his non-stop game is an effective foil for the ball running game of others, just would have been nice.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Without a doubt. Although he is behind Butler, (and perhaps Browning) who is not even in the 22 at the minute. I'm sure we will see them all during the year, but the beauty of the depth is that all opportunities will be earned through training form / club rugby.
That's the thing I'm happiest about and I believe is one of the reasons the next man up attitude works for both the Reds and the Brumbies - They either get game time in Super Rugby or they are getting it in the local comp.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It makes me sad that higgers signed for 3 years down in melbourne, being that radike is probably on the tail end of the tail end of his Super rugby days. Would have loved to have seen the rapidly maturing Quirky, Higgers and gilly all playing for queensland. Not that i don't rate Schatz or believe his non-stop game is an effective foil for the ball running game of others, just would have been nice.

Schatz/Gill/Quirk >>>>>>>>> Higgers/Gill/Quirk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I will be very surprised if Higginbotham ever plays for the Wobs again. All his shortcomings are going to get horribly exposed at the Rebels. He is great if he can play loose and other people are doing the hard work but no such luxury at the Rebels.

Might well regret his move.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
I will be very surprised if Higginbotham ever plays for the Wobs again. All his shortcomings are going to get horribly exposed at the Rebels. He is great if he can play loose and other people are doing the hard work but no such luxury at the Rebels.

Might well regret his move.
I agree, I have never thought his small moments of individual brilliance were worth all the sea gulling

Status
Not open for further replies.