• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it was Kafe who mentioned before the game that there was a strong breeze favouring the Reds in the first half.......

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Genia was missed but the forwards just didn't front up. We struggled with the interpretation at the breakdown and didn't offer a huge amount in attack until late in the game when we were chasing. I would have liked a few of those early penalties to be put in the corner and for us to have a go at the line. I really hope that the Reds play with an attacking mindset next week.

T

tranquility

I think the Reds need to improve in the tight 5 going forward. Horwill coming back should help, and as much as I love Saia, I think hanson should be starting to stabilise the scrum early in the game.

In the long term - I'm not usually a fan of bringing players in, but if Simmons continues to stutter, a guy like pyle or Neville would certainly be a good foil for Horwill. Hopefully Butler comes on a bit this year and we won't have to.

I'm a little confused by this. Clearly we were lacking physically in our tight 5, playing two LH locks and need to improve in this area. But how is Butler going to help this situation? Do you mean that he plays a very tight game, or maybe you just made a small error and mistook him for one of the tall blokes..

I wasn't that disappointed. They put in, they just lacked experience and composure.
The backs are hard to gage, because they were getting backfoot ball all game - but I think Sautia should start at 13. I would love to see Aidan get either Shippers wing, or Harris's spot at the back to get a fair assessment of what he offers.

Thought Gill was good. Quirk tried hard. Shatzy was very quiet.
I would suggest that Samo will come back in, and Jake will go to the bench.

Other than that, I think most of the 22 will stay the same and we just have to hope that the Tahs will be a rusty as we were.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Was it?

Hard to believe, must have blowing a hurricane.

Later when there was no breeze he didn't even make 40

Didn't Harris's second penalty attempt have the distance, but went just to the right of the upright - at least that's how i saw it.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm a little confused by this. Clearly we were lacking physically in our tight 5, playing two LH locks and need to improve in this area. But how is Butler going to help this situation? Do you mean that he plays a very tight game, or maybe you just made a small error and mistook him for one of the tall blokes..

I wasn't that disappointed. They put in, they just lacked experience and composure.
The backs are hard to gage, because they were getting backfoot ball all game - but I think Sautia should start at 13. I would love to see Aidan get either Shippers wing, or Harris's spot at the back to get a fair assessment of what he offers.

Thought Gill was good. Quirk tried hard. Shatzy was very quiet.
I would suggest that Samo will come back in, and Jake will go to the bench.

Other than that, I think most of the 22 will stay the same and we just have to hope that the Tahs will be a rusty as we were.

Like you, I was impressed by Quirk and Gill, not so much by schatz.

All 3 are promising young players but in a forwards arm wrestle like the that game was it would have taken players in the calibre of Read, Kaino and Burger to get us over the line.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was there a full match report done up for the academy match last week?

Anyone know if any injuries or how Moz & Davies went?

Hope it is rammed home to all the squad that they can't live off past glories if they want to go on to higher honours this year.

You wouldn't be picking too many Reds for the Wallabies based on what we saw last Saturday night.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From the weekend a few guys will be worried about their spots in the team. Here are my thoughts.

Holmes and Slipper weren't great but worth sticking with.
Hanson was better than Saia when he came on so I'd swap them this weekend.
Both locks were disappointing. Simmons is going backwards, in terms of development, and is getting caught up in all sorts of niggle. I'd like Horwill and AWH to start with AWH calling the lineouts.
I was impressed with Gill but would need to watch the game on tape to see the other two more closely. Samo is needed for his go forward.
Lucas was ok at 9 and the head knock didn't help.
Cooper keeps the 10
I'd stick with Taps and maybe put CFS at 13 but would understand if things stayed the same. Toua didn't have much of a chance with the ball.
Wingers can stay the same.
Harris isn't a 15. He's in the team to kick goals and he had better start kicking them or he'll loose his spot. Lance could cover this spot and looked good when he got on the field.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree with a lot of that Jets with the exception of Harris. I really like what I'm seeing with his development at 15 and he went well there on the weekend in my eyes. I won't pretend to know a lot about back play but when he chose to run the ball back on counter he ran straight and hard, his kicking was good and I don't know that he got found out of position much did he (not sure about the first try though, should Harris have been there??)
I also reckon that Taps needs Ant F at 13 to really play his best footy at 12.

T

tranquility

Harris isn't a 15. He's in the team to kick goals and he had better start kicking them or he'll loose his spot. Lance could cover this spot and looked good when he got on the field.

If Harris is not kicking goals at about 85%, he doesn't deserve to be a starter when all our backs are fit and healthy. Jono Lance, Aidan Toua or Mozz would all be far better, and add much more to the general cohesion and attacking threat of our backline.

Ant will be a very welcome addition to the backline this week. He is seriously invaluable at this level for the Reds.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Didn't Harris's second penalty attempt have the distance, but went just to the right of the upright - at least that's how i saw it.
Technique suits short range. Needs a tailwind if he gets too far behind the 10m line.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Technique suits short range. Needs a tailwind if he gets too far behind the 10m line.
Then don't have shots from over 50m out. He's got to take responsibility for the goal kicking and should know his limits. I'd have loved them to kick for the corner and have a go. They seemed so cautious and it doesn't suit them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Especially when you have a big wind behind you. It is very hard for the other mob to get out of their "red zone".No one plays the style of Rugby they want to,when they are stuck in the wrong part of the field.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...t-reds-find-to-their-cost-20130217-2el7b.html

This article sort of sums up what I was trying to allude to earlier - the style of play that took them to the championship is no longer there.

I don't think the reds necessarily played actually *that* badly against the Brumbies, they just didn't play particularly well (sort of just a statistical game of percentages) and lacking anything startling that would enable them to beat the top teams. This was evident last year where (I think) they had only one win over any of the top 5 teams.

Good enough to beat the rest with percentage plays - but if you want to compete with the big boys you need a point of difference. That point of difference has not been there for 20 odd games.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Reds were shocking for the first couple of rounds of last season. Sure, their results weren't bad but they were very hard to watch.

They still did okay in the end, nobody would call their 2012 a failure but perhaps it was a let down. Maybe they'll work up to their good form?

Status
Not open for further replies.