• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I have just figured out what to do in the event that a forward is called upon to play in the backs. Instead of going Amish, the forward in question MUST shave his beard to look something like this:

forwardback.jpg

I'll see myself out.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He might be more back than we all thought. He's following in Digby's footsteps and staring in music film clips.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought Nigel was over in Perth in their youth set up?

Owell, glad to hear he's back, hopefully I'll see him donning the Gold and Green at Wests!

He was there under the impression that he would get an EPS contract i believe but instead they opted for snowden and i dont think he got a trial hence he is back in QLD training in the reds college

T

TOCC

The force never offered him anything, he went over there to play in the local comp in an attempt to impress the force recruiters and earn contract... Didn't pan out

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Based on last season, the trial up at sunny coast and the brumbies game, it is going to be a very long season for the reds, I fear.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies played too heavy for the Reds, winning the collisions. The Reds need Horwill and Samo back.

Genia is really hard to replace. On the other hand, Nic White was very good. His long kicking from the base was great so the Reds had no territory.

Memo to Link: Harris (2/5) has a goal kicking range of 40m. Give the longer attempts to Cooper.

T

TOCC

Reds are missing Genias direction at the breakdown... It got crowded and looked a bit directionless at times... Nic White on the other hand was commanding his forwards well and was a big point of difference.

Furthermore, I thought there was a distinctive lift when Jono Lance replaced Tapuai, he provided extra direction/passing and has a strong direct running style.. I don't like saying it but they might be better off moving Tapuai to 13 or the very least play someone who can bend/break the defensive line, Toua currently doesn't meet that criteria.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the Reds need to improve in the tight 5 going forward. Horwill coming back should help, and as much as I love Saia, I think hanson should be starting to stabilise the scrum early in the game.

In the long term - I'm not usually a fan of bringing players in, but if Simmons continues to stutter, a guy like pyle or Neville would certainly be a good foil for Horwill. Hopefully Butler comes on a bit this year and we won't have to.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't believe that Genia's and Horwill's return are the answer. They are coming back from major injuries and will take a looooong time to get back to anywhere remotely close to their best. Look at Quade Cooper - major injury and he is obviously still coming to terms with how his body is supposed to move.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Reds are missing Genias direction at the breakdown. It got crowded and looked a bit directionless at times. Nic White on the other hand was commanding his forwards well and was a big point of difference.

Furthermore, I thought there was a distinctive lift when Jono Lance replaced Tapuai, he provided extra direction/passing and has a strong direct running style.. I don't like saying it but they might be better off moving Tapuai to 13 or the very least play someone who can bend/break the defensive line, Toua currently doesn't meet that criteria.
Tapuai was our best performed back along with Cooper, I don't think moving him to 13 would solve anything, it would probably just make things worse. Toua was also shut down very early from the Brumbies defence early, I don't think many players would of been able to break the line while on the back foot. But I agree that Lance looked good when he came on, but so did F'Sautia, who from memory came on at 13. If Fainga'a is injured still, I'd definatly be looking at F'Sautia and not Tapuai at 13.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The issue with the backs wasn't anything to do with personel there (excepting Genia). The forwards barely gained parity in most contact situations and I would've awarded the set piece at both scrum and lineout to the Brumbies. As a result the backs were trying to run from 15-20 metres behind the gain line.

I couple of years ago I opined that the days of the fetcher 7 could be numbered unless the fetcher is of a class above like Pocock. I think we are indeed seeing that come to fruition. The Reds could have done a lot better at the breakdown if the first and second players arriving were intent on RUCKING past the ball instead of trying to grapple with it. We saw towards the end of last year that the refs are indeed giving the attacker the space needed for him to hold onto the ball until the tackler rolls away. In those two or three seconds the ruck is formed and the chance for a pilfer is very limitted, unless the opposition back row is buried somewhere. IMHO most teams would be better off fielding a player like McCalman at 7 rather than a pilferer, but unlike the ill fated RWC experiment with that selection the whole forward pack needs to change running lines and patterns to ruck the ball and only look to pilfer with the hands vaery rarely. Do not misconstrue my meaning, I like Gill, he is a future player but he is not a fetcher 7 (though he has some successes there along with as many penalties). With a backrow like the Reds have now they really must look to change how they attack the breakdown. That will also mean S. Faiingaa will have to make way for Hanson to start. As I said earlier the Reds IMO lost the set piece, so that even though they didn't lose the ball on their feed (they did give up penalties) they were under real pressure and couldn't advance the scrum as they wished producing back foot ball from the set piece. Inclusion of Hanson should improve the set piece and with the proper direction improve the breakdown.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Reds certainly missed Genia, but they've had the whole off-season to prepare for matches without him. He would have made a bit of a difference, but realistically the Reds did not really look like scoring a try last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.