• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
There is too much talent in the Reds backline. Share the love. We'll take Lance off your hands. It will help you out with all of these selections dilemmas.

T

TOCC

According to articles in The Australian, Ewen is experimenting with Converting Nigel AhWong to a wing after he clocked the fastest time over 20m beating the likes of Rodney Davies.. Nigel has been brought into the EPS to replace Joel Faulkner who has decided not to persue a super rugby career.

Also Curtis Browning has been offered a short term contract to replace the recently re-injured Beau Robinson..

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I love how The Australian has it framed in terms of Link doing it to counter Folau...before Folau has ever played his first game of Super Rugby o_O

T

TOCC

I love how The Australian has it framed in terms of Link doing it to counter Folau.before Folau has ever played his first game of Super Rugby o_O

Yeah I ignored that part of the article....
They just needed something to catch the attention of Tahs supporters..

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
According to articles in The Australian, Ewen is experimenting with Converting Nigel AhWong to a wing after he clocked the fastest time over 20m beating the likes of Rodney Davies.. Nigel has been brought into the EPS to replace Joel Faulkner who has decided not to persue a super rugby career.

Also Curtis Browning has been offered a short term contract to replace the recently re-injured Beau Robinson..
I like to think we have a lot of wing depth that we don't need to convert a Premier Rugby flanker into one.

However Ah Wong and Browning are two blokes I thought to be unlucky in missing out on initial EPS contracts. Unfortunate that Beau is injored though, hope he comes back strong, he is an animal.

Any more on Faulkner's decision?

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Very strange about faulkner to pursue something for so long and then quit when you get there.

I think Ah Wong's pace at flanker is what makes him so special, other wise he is just another fast winger

T

TOCC

Very strange about faulkner to pursue something for so long and then quit when you get there.

I think Ah Wong's pace at flanker is what makes him so special, other wise he is just another fast winger

Another fast winger who would also be one of the biggest in Australia... There are only a few backs who crack 100kg's in Australia and even less in the wing department.

However I doubt we will see him play wing at all... Having him on the bench would allow link to play the 5/2 split more comfortably knowing he could push Nigel to the wing in a worse case scenario..

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Does anyone know Nigel personally or seen him up close? Is he similar to say a Hosea Gear or Julian Savea? If so, I see the attraction with making him a winger. He seems to have great hands and pace and can break tackles but it's the other skills that I saw in that highlights reel that make him more suited to 6. The offload and lineout ability for starters. Keep in mind that we have a big hole to fill with the loss of Higgers in lineout work alone.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If he has the pace to be a wing why not play him there. He would be very handy at the breakdown, which would be an asset for the Reds as it should reduce the risk of turnover if you send the ball wide.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
No4918 is on the mark re Ah Wong.
We have a deficit of good No 6's and if he's up for it could make that position his own into the future, although Beau Robinson will have something to say about that when he returns in the short term.
I suspect Links is giving him time training on the wing to get used to that position and thereby allowing the Reds to have a 5- 2 forwards/backs combination from the bench ( really a 4-2 plus one each way).
Anyhow it's early days yet and Ah Wong is yet to trialed at the higher level. Don't expect too much initially.

T

tranquility

This culture loving, cappuccino sipping, student of architecture will offer Nigel plenty of stiff competition..

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
Hi all avid Reds supporters, I haven't posted on this forum before but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in and pose a qn or 2.

RE: Reds no.6 I like the looks of Nigel as well... big powerful and athletic, impressive stats hopefully he can deliver inside the white lines. Other options being Quirk who is a talented bloke and I remember one of the rugby greats being extremely excited about him a couple of years ago and also Browning who is a freak at 19... word coming out of the reds camp is that he has been dominating pre season. I think it will also be interesting to see what happens with Gill position wise over the next few seasons, he seems to still be growing it will be interesting to see if the Wallabies are interested in playing him more as a 6 in the future? Hmm who knows.

RE: Centres. I would love to see Morohan given the chance to develop as a 13. He's a big unit(over 6'2'' and close to 100kgs), extremely quick, good hands, footwork, A very strong runner, solid defender(now) and evasive. I think him outside the talented & gifted pair of Cooper & Tapaui creating space for him would make for some extremely entertaining/devastating running rugby... would also attract defenders to then unleash the likes of Diggers/CFS/Shipperly outside. Exciting stuff. Like most people I struggle to find a spot for Lance even though I rate him extremely highly(I'd consider him to be close to the 2nd best 12 in the country, given some proper game time)... would love to see him at 12, deceptively hard to tackle, fantastic defender, great hands and again would play like a 2nd 5/8. I see 15 as a 3 way battle between Harris, Lance & Lucas. Pretty sure Harris will get the nod for his kicking. Pretty rough when you leave a bloke like Ant out of the starting team, granted he is one of the best defensive 13s going around but I feel often our attacking play breaks down around him... however in saying this there are definitely some games I'd want to start him.

The rumour on McDuling is that he had 2 loose knees, one done last year & the other done this year, and they are hoping this fixes the problem. Another bloke by the name of Dave Dennis had a similar medical condition to him and had the exact same thing happen - 2 recons in 2 years. Hopefully for Big Dules' sake he takes a similar path to Dennis after his 2 years rehabbing his knees.

Pumped for a big year of rugby ahead! Very excited about the Reds squad!

T

tranquility

Great first post Purce, welcome aboard. We can never have to many Reds tragics on the boards, especially come the season proper.

The 6 jersey is fascinating, because Butler, Shatz and Beau will also be going for the postion when fit and dependent on who is the 8man.

Regarding Jono Lance; it is imperative that we keep him at the Reds. I think he is actually the second best 10 in our squad, that is ahead of both Lucas and Harris. I would also rate him as the 2nd best 12, competent at 13 and a damn good 15. That makes for one hell of a handy footballer. He is also a non-nonsense sort of a bloke who keeps his nose keep of the paddock.

I too would like to see Morahan groomed at 13, as I think it will be good for everyone to have a player of his ability in the centers. Although I think its only a matter of time before CFS owns that jersey permanently.

I also find it interesting that you say that Browning has been dominating at training, it is incredible how much of a power house he is. We need to sign that bloke up ASAP, although he strikes me as the type of bloke, like Quirk who lives and breathes QLD rugby.

Everything is shaping up for a very good year ahead.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Regarding Jono Lance; it is imperative that we keep him at the Reds. I think he is actually the second best 10 in our squad, that is ahead of both Lucas and Harris. I would also rate him as the 2nd best 12, competent at 13 and a damn good 15. That makes for one hell of a handy footballer. He is also a non-nonsense sort of a bloke who keeps his nose keep of the paddock.

agreed. he's particularly important given the quade cooper is constantly talking about moving on. it's a bit of a worry that a guy like lance might not get enough game time to satisfy his interests

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
The 6 jersey is fascinating, because Butler, Shatz and Beau will also be going for the postion when fit and dependent on who is the 8man.

Ah forgot about Butler.... the kid is a talent as well. I didn't include Beau due to initial injury and Shatz because he would be my 1st choice 8 initially. Obviously Samo as well, probably best used off the bench these days but I've been wrong about that before!

Status
Not open for further replies.