• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

You would think that the 22 would come from the top 30 squad unless there are lots on injuries. Quirk and Robinson are a couple in the top squad who could cover 6 and if they start Samo at 8 Schatz can play there. It's just good that the guys who are part of the Reds College are not just making up the numbers.

Let's not forget Jared Butler either.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
You would have to once again wonder where does the National Academy fit into the picture. While I believe that Ah Wong has been elevated to EPS, the Reds academy certainly have the advantage over the NA in terms of getting a run following an injury to the main squad. The Reds would hardly go for someone from the NA over someone who has been training with them all year. Makes a joke of it

Has he really? Who does he replace? I assume if true it can only be as a result of injury to one of the current EPS.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
What's happened to McDuling this time? Methinks it might be time for Dave to dust off those old textbooks he put away a few years ago.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Read an article this morning about Harris, Fainga'a & Taps fighting it out for 2 centre spots. I'm happy to see these guys rotate a bit but I would have thought Harris is perhaps best used at Fullback. Taps comments that he wants to lock in the no.12 spot.

My preferred backline (provided no injuries) would be as follows:-
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Taps
13. Finger
14. Ships
15. Harris (back-up 12, 13)

21. Lucas (back-up 9, 10,15)
22. Morahan (back-up 11, 14, 15)

Its difficult trying to find a place for Jono Lance in this team, even though i rate him highly. Although no doubt injuries will ensue

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Tapuai is the incumbent Wallaby 12, and has done a pretty good job, it would be outrageous if he does not start there for the Reds.

I hope that CFS breaks through, and I also would love to see Lance in the starting team. Go for broke, Link.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yeah he did it just before Xmas. I'm sure if you go back in the thread you'll find the report.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Harris has a massive advantage over the other two with his goal kicking. I want him at FB though and playing the Peter Hynes 2010 type role but with better distribution which he has. Taps and Ant make a good centre pairing. The pressure Ant puts on through his defence is most valuable. He creates those broken play opportunities that we have the fire power to really benifit from.

T

tranquility

Harris has a massive advantage over the other two with his goal kicking. I want him at FB though and playing the Peter Hynes 2010 type role but with better distribution which he has. Taps and Ant make a good centre pairing. The pressure Ant puts on through his defence is most valuable. He creates those broken play opportunities that we have the fire power to really benifit from.

Spot on ruggo, I agree with all of that. As a further point, if Ant gets injured or is moved to 12 for any reason - Taps should not be moved to 13. He even explicitly mentions in his last interview that he doesn't want to play there as he wants to distribute. Morahan, CFS or Lance would all be far better options in my opinion.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree Ruggo and tranks. Ball playing inside centres, who can run as well, are uncommon.

Those who are also left footed kickers are rare.

Let Taps always play at 12 to give the golden balls. The Reds and Wobs will then find that their outside centres are better than they thought they were.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agree Ruggo and tranks. Ball playing inside centres, who can run as well, are uncommon.

Those who are also left footed kickers are rare.

The last 12 we had of that exact description was a guy by the name of Dan Carter circa 2003-04. He was an excellent 12 when playing for the ABs when Mauger was hurt because he distributed both ways, ran the ball and kicked both feet.

On the Reds, Tapuai is a natural 2nd 5 IMO because he has the skills and temperament to play both types of roles. He's deceptively quick so loves to run, but I think his instincts is to be a ball player. For the Reds sake he needs to be kept at 12 although I get the feeling that if A. Finger gets injured they'll be tempted to shift him to 13 and put Harris at 12.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Taps should stay at 12 I agree. Losing Ant through injury does raise some interesting challenges should it happen. A bit of a gamble as I doubt he has much experience in the position but I see Harris having some qualities that bode well for a 13. He runs nice direct lines, has a good defensive read, good judgment at drawing his man and distributing plus has some size about him.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good options at 13 without considering Taps and Harris. Morahan, CFS & Ioane could all play there while not greatly weakening the outside men. They may not be the defensive centre that Ant is but would likely hold up just as well as Harris, Taps while better than those options will still be better for the team at 12.

I'm still quietly hoping Morahan can hold onto the 15 jersey but can see why others like Harris. If not for his place kicking he would be excellent 10,12 & 15 cover on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.