• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds, Round 3 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
only marginally, he still goes missing for long periods and his concentration when kicking waivers, tonight was certainly better than last week. he is a long way from being a test 5/8

Debra's got some gifts. Needs to develop some skills.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That was there for the taking for the Reds. With 5 minutes to go they showed us that they simply don't believe they can win. We looked like the dog that caught the car. No idea what to do with it. We were clueless at the end. All XV players panicked.
It's all good but. These are the things that will take time. You can fix small tactical errors in a short time, you can address skill deficiencies in the medium term but building belief takes time.

Shame we didn't get the win but good start boys!

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
What a stupid idea to bring the team into a huddle when the opposition is lining up a penalty kick for goal, and the ref reminds them that time is on. And to do it twice is just beyond understanding. Imagine for a moment the ball hits the upright and rebounds, the Rebs retrieve it and attack the side of the field where noone is defending. Actually, would have given a lot of us a laugh in what was otherwise a dreary affair.

so if it happens form a conversion its game on? Reason I ask is Cantab's Mounga shanked a shot something horrible coupla weeks ago and Nadolo fields it by the sideline and damn near scored a try! Sounded like it wouldve been given too. Never seen that before. I imagine a few coaches watching were quickly drawing up trick plays for if oppo are dawdling around under their own posts. The "Crossfield Reverse Axis Penetration." Not a bad acronym.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have been scratching my head as to why the Reds have such high run metres in every game, but I think that solves the question. While I was still paying attention the Rebels kicked the ball to the Reds and it was run back from the 22 to the halfway on at least 4 occasions

Also because they stand so deep, and deliver so slow, that there is plenty of run meters just to get to the advantage line.

If they get that far.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not quite the same thing, but Kingi got a try against the Force a few years ago because they huddled at the Cipriani before he pointed for the posts.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Lions scored a try against a NZ team back in '05 when Wilkinson, under the guise of a penalty kick, booted it across field off a place kick..........

Dene

Peter Burge (5)
You have to make a genuine attempt at the posts. Ref's call on that.

First time I saw it happen (and be disallowed) was Woodward against the Stormers in 2013:
(at 47:44).
(hope that posting the link is allowed)
Read that it should have been a drop-out for the stormers after that though.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so a few thoughts on the game both from being there and watching the replay.
the good, the Rebels won, Tuipulotu, the defence, the scrum, Meehan (again), English (at long last), Debreczeni concentrated for nearly a whole game,
the bad, The Rebels should have won by a whole lot more, Shipperley butchered the break and try in mid first half, field kicking (again), lineout (again, although better), some skill execution, kick off receipts.
some of the above we can put down to being completely f..d in the last 15 minutes, especially the three blown lineouts in a row, some i think due to the general disruption injuries have created, some just not having the requisite skills.
credit to the Reds, i thought that if JD had kicked the penalty at 30 mins and the Rebels had gone 19 -0 then the flood gates might have opened, but they hung in there and the Rebels (and a couple of 50/50 ref calls) kept them interested.
for a second game ref Williams did a pretty good job, thought the YC was a bit late in coming, and the brace of Reds penalties either side of half time went the wrong way, watching the replay, for me, Reid had hands on the ball before half time and Jones was penalised for not staying on his feet, having been tackled by Holmes trying to prevent the clean out, 6 points differential.
all in all the Rebs are still a work in progress and if they can snaffle a win in Tokyo against an impressive Sunwolves, next week then 3 from 4 with all the travel shows an increasing maturity in the playing group
edit: other bad, the playing surface, the music between plays, the expensive crap food continues

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting............

I wasn't aware the law existed but have seen at least one try awarded from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.