• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Reds, Round 3 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
When was this law introduced?

I don't know. It was a law when I played in the eighties.
and when i played in the late 60's and 70's. until the indication to kick at goal is given the ball remains "live" and in play. if you tell the ref that you are not going to kick at goal and set up a place kick then that is legit, the ref doesn't have to tell the opposition, but once he "signals" a kick at goal it has to be a legitimate attempt, the Ref's interpretation as to what is legit though.
i also remember on one occasion, having indicated to the ref a shot at goal, the captain wanted to do something different, the ref informed him we had to take the shot, the captain replies "he was just joking ref, he couldn't possibly kick that far", i missed.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i tried it a couple of times in the 70's, one errant kick into touch on full, so we got the line out, one decent kick and 4 points, i think i missed the conversion. so the refs in Victoria might have been more lenient or perhaps just liked the enterprise i don't know.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
My dad tells stories of lining up shots at goal from within the 5m line (back when it didn't get moved back) on the sideline. Basically a cross field kick to his winger that might go through the posts.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
furthermore i remember a Victorian state team coach getting us to practice a move whereby the kick is deliberately aimed at the post so the rebound falls into the arms of our on rushing forward pack. FFS i had enough problems aiming to get it through 5 - 6 m between the sticks let alone the few centimetres of the post width. truly bizarre

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jamie Hagan has been a late withdrawal the last two weeks I assume that means he is injured. Does anyone have any info regarding Hagan?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Michael Lynah was famously penalised for trying this in the eighties under the "unsportsmanlike" provisions of the laws

I can't remember that at all. What Noddy used to do on occasions was point at the posts and say "I'm going to take the tap" then take the tap and pass to a unopposed attacker as the defenders wandered over to the posts.

D

daz

Lots of injuries for the Rebels boys, and a monster travel schedule. Put that all together and what I saw on Saturday night was a team that is barely holding it together. Someone posted that the Rebels looked "cooked" at the 3rd game of the season, and frankly, I don't disagree with that.

If we didn't have McMahon on Saturday, I reckon the Reds would have won by 10+. Unfair to put a team performance onto one bloke's shoulders, but he was like the Terminator; he just didn't stop tackling and hitting the breakdown, which really stifled the Reds given they were attacking in waves all game.

JD seems to have lost a bit of confidence, which is fucking with his ability to play with any kind of tactical fluidity. A bummer for a bloke with 10 on his back, as if the playmaker is double thinking, the rest of the team will follow.

I just don't get the love for Meehan. If any coach in the country is looking for highlights on how not to play as a 9, then I suggest the last 2 games from Bip. He is box kicking as a default option at almost every opportunity, and at the exact wrong moment in play. You thought Genia kicked too much? Check out Genia Jr in Rebels colours.

But none of that is my biggest gripe. Right now, the "Pause, one, two" at the breakdown before Meehan releases the ball is driving me to drink. It's almost like Meehan watched the last season of Phipps at the Rebels as the template to play as a 9. Get to the breakdown, wait for every single team mate to be in a nice straight line, then count to 10 and pass.

A slight exaggeration perhaps, but still, the reason we are kicking so much is that when Meehan finally touches the ball, the opposition are rushing up, and our attacking line is flatter than a really flat thing.

Anyway, the boys are in a bit of trouble right now, and even when they get a decent run at some home games, the travel damage has been done. The legs are fucked, and post-Reds game I was seeing a heap of blokes that are hobbling and have their body-weight in ice packs strapped to them.

Anyway, where are the boys playing this week? Oh yes, Japan. Just around the corner. FAAARK!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My take:

Reds better but still a long way off.

Big moments :
Sef failed badly - at scrims, lack of discipline and work effort - however he is young and will be better for the experience
The fucking winger kicking the ball on attack in the last several minutes. The bloke is a man mountain, big and fast and should have the balls to attack the line with his body - terrible skills or heart IMO. Send him to Prems
Hunt ran the ball back into contact very strongly but failed to break the line. I can accept that the defence was good. His useless fucking kick with several minutes to go was a very poor choice.
Fuck, then I come to Kerevi's dropped ball - my balls hit the ground at his lack of ball security.

McMahon was great. The Brains Trust at the Reds need to give themselves an uppercut. "Too small" they said - idiots.

On the positive side there appeared to be a bit more there from last week.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nabilu tried the short kick twice. Not easy to pontificate from the arm-chair, but surely the ball in hand beats the speculator most of the time???

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Nabilu tried the short kick twice. Not easy to pontificate from the arm-chair, but surely the ball in hand beats the speculator most of the time???

Absolutely. The guy has the physical attributes to be a fantastic Rugby winger so I think it's easy to mark him quite hard. Problem for him is that he needs to learn how to be a Rugby winger. Watch any other aspect of his player and he looks like a big fish out of water. The guy is struggling to learn the game (understandable since he's been playing it for 5 minutes) so it's no wonder that when he has the ball with a defender to beat his first decision is to kick. He doesn't have the confidence yet.

I hope he works it out soon though, as he'll be handy when he does! Those kicks though..... :mad:

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Interesting....

I wasn't aware the law existed but have seen at least one try awarded from it.

Sure, one was scored against the Brumbies a few years ago, by the Tahs I think, but on that occasion the kick was a genuine attempt at goal and then the scoring team was favoured by the bounce of the ball after it wasn't fielded on the full by the Brumbies (cardinal sin).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nabuli does have a rugby background AFAIK.

Yes, he played a couple of years of NRL after he was "discovered" but I have always assumed that, like most Fijians, he grew up playing Sevens, and probably 15s as well?

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Nabuli does have a rugby background AFAIK.

Yes, he played a couple of years of NRL after he was "discovered" but I have always assumed that, like most Fijians, he grew up playing Sevens, and probably 15s as well?

He used to play at Lock back when he lived in Nadi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
@daz, agree with every single point you made. Not sure that Debreczeni has ever been much better than this though. He's never liked the pace of Super Rugby defences and the way they get all up in his grill. He excels in the NRC because he's got the time and space to take the ball to the line, or to just shuffle it on without getting absolutely belted. This was close to the worst I've seen from him though, save those early efforts at fullback.

Meehan is miles away from Stirzaker. The Phipps comparison is a great one. He's busy, but to absolutely no effect. 2-1, but lots and lots of problems.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, I probably should have been clearer. I was aware he had played some Rugby (wasn't sure how much and what format of the game or what position) but to me it didn't look recent or at any high level. My main point being that he looks completely out of his depth/comfort zone. It surprises me to hear he played lock as one of the things that stands out is watching him join a ruck. It's the most awkward looking thing I've seen on a Rugby pitch in a while.
Whatever his past, he has a lot to learn and I hope he's a quick learner!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
@daz, agree with every single point you made. Not sure that Debreczeni has ever been much better than this though. He's never liked the pace of Super Rugby defences and the way they get all up in his grill. He excels in the NRC because he's got the time and space to take the ball to the line, or to just shuffle it on without getting absolutely belted. This was close to the worst I've seen from him though, save those early efforts at fullback.

Meehan is miles away from Stirzaker. The Phipps comparison is a great one. He's busy, but to absolutely no effect. 2-1, but lots and lots of problems.

If you guys thought Meehan was bad, I'd be keen to know how you rate Frisby at the moment. Talk about dire box kicks! WTF!? Frisby's were terrible! I'd rate Rob Simmons to probably box kick better.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, he might have the physical attributes but he needs to remember that his tree trunks are best used for running not kicking the pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.