• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Brumbies Rnd 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
So everytime I see the guys who go over the ball with no attempt to steal it just get the penalty ive been wrong and they shouldnt get it.. I never knew it ill watch more closely

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If the hands are on the ball and it doesn't come out, it's a penalty. If the hands hit the ground they've lost the entitlement to go for the ball. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way the laws are being interpreted, and you have to play to that.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the hands are on the ball and it doesn't come out, it's a penalty. If the hands hit the ground they've lost the entitlement to go for the ball. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the way the laws are being interpreted, and you have to play to that.

I think it's a good law. Being able to create that A-frame position and get your balance before going for the ball gives the defender a big advantage.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think it's a good law. Being able to create that A-frame position and get your balance before going for the ball gives the defender a big advantage.

I was referring more to the full arm penalty for the man not making any attempt to get the ball out. But your point is correct,

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sorry boys. Mea culpa. Being drunk on the internet is never a good idea. If it helps I'm paying for it today. Feels like I've swallowed broken glass and am having nails enthusiastically hammered into my head.

Almost sounded like you were at the hawks vs bombers game instead :p

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Ha I'm a Bombers fan as well so you can add that to the punishments the universe is dealing out. How good would Cyril have been at rugby though?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
There's a lot of AFL boys that I wouldn't mind seeing in the game.

But there's not a code in Australia that wouldn't want to at least see what Cyril could do.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
On English, I think he's an outside center long term. He makes good breaks, he's pretty good defensively, and he's a big lump of a lad. But he doesn't have excellent top line speed, or a killer finishing instinct, which is essential for a winger.

I don't know, sound like you just described a NRC player to me. Too many weaknesses.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Sorry boys. Mea culpa. Being drunk on the internet is never a good idea. If it helps I'm paying for it today. Feels like I've swallowed broken glass and am having nails enthusiastically hammered into my head.
Your forgiven, if only for your avatar.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Never really noticed how bad the Brumbies slow the Ball down with hands in the ruck inside there 22. Frustrating to watch even as Neutral, If a team can expose this and get quick ball wide the Brumbies could in some trouble. I feel they rely on this a lot to get set up in defence.

And the Rebels fast and hard running out wide to get over the line was also great rugby to watch. Pity English blew his loa.. opportunity premature. Would have 2 great tries for the rebels

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Never really noticed how bad the Brumbies slow the Ball down with hands in the ruck inside there 22. Frustrating to watch even as Neutral, If a team can expose this and get quick ball wide the Brumbies could in some trouble. I feel they rely on this a lot to get set up in defence.

And the Rebels fast and hard running out wide to get over the line was also great rugby to watch. Pity English blew his loa.. opportunity premature. Would have 2 great tries for the rebels
Funny how perception works.
Biggsy, aren't your lot the most penalized team in the comp? ;)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
IIRC Fardy's YC followed a team warning.

It was after the second team warning I thought.

When it happened I thought him harshly done by, but the replay showed the ref got it correct. Regardless how you feel about it, the way the rules are interpreted now says you can't put your weight beyond the ball on your hands then play at the ball. It does allow the defender to set into an ideal position beforehand.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He propped onto his hands past the ball and then contested the ball.

That should be a penalty for not supporting your body weight and had been pretty consistently called in the last year or so.

In hindsight that was a fair penalty, but my only criticism of Peyper would be that he wasn't consistent (with both teams) regarding the ruck last night..........

Also, there appeared to be an obstruction (on the other side of the field) leading up to the Rebels' first try that left a number of Brumbies' players having words with the AR on the far side from where the try was scored.......... was there anything in it? They didn't replay it at the ground and I haven't gone back and read through the thread so I honestly don't know if there was anything in it or not...........

Anyways, moving on from that... were there any injured Brumbies?

I was completely perplexed by their decision to go to the bench so early, and so strongly early in the second half........ I thought they'd learned since the Reds game?

Both starting props were the first ones benched........ and from where I was sitting not only were they scrummaging well (it gave them 2 tries) but they were both working hard around the field.........

Then Lilo for McCabe? The way McCabe has been playing they weren't using him enough to straighten the attack.........

Kuridrani has been playing well this year but wasn't contributing very much and I don't know why they didn't bring on Andrew Smith for him earlier, rather than Lilo for McCabe? It just seemed to screw up their defensive patterns, and when the Rebels got into gear they looked lost........

And Butler was one of the Brumbies' worst offenders last night and still managed to play most of the game..........

Despite his card Fardy was the only standout for the Brumbies in my mind........

As for the Rebels, they just seemed to finally click with half an hour to go and never looked like they were going to lose from that point........... and it sounded like there were suddenly 10,000 more people in the crowd.........

Status
Not open for further replies.