• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rebels v Brumbies Rnd 7 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

I'm not able to contribute to this thread too much right now. Just got home from the game and am busy putting Mitch's try on constant loop on my telly.

:p

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I've settled into my usual mindset of hoping for the best and expecting the worst from the Rebels, and if my fantasy line up is any indication then the Brumbies should hand us a spanking.

As stated above, the Brumbies are a well drilled and high quality team across all areas. I don't think we have the fire power to match that across the 80 minutes.

(I also would have said that the Force wouldn't match the Chiefs so I guess anything is possible.)

I'll keep my thoughts to myself from now on.

Stoked.

Elfster

Alex Ross (28)
Zero from two for my tipping, but two good games to start the round nevertheless. The Rebels defence is much improved and they look like a team with great spirit. Probably still a little too much kicking I think and it took a while to get their attack in gear, but they improved during the game and well done to them. Ut is a cliche, but they were the better team on the night and deserved to win.

The horses looked good and started well. For most of the game you felt they were going to shift a gear and put the Rebels away with a few quick tries. I think they were a bit lucky in not having at least one other player in the bin. They do play too the limit that way, but that does lead to excessive penalties, potentially disrupting their momentum. To'omua had a good game and directed traffic well. The horsies lost, but shouldn't be too unhappy in the way they played.
Well done Rebels. And both sides ut on a good display, most entertaining!!

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
How well is Luke Jones playing? I think he is our best player this year. Male Sa'u played really well when he came on.

The reason Shota Horie had his best game is because he got 30 minutes. Usually he only gets about 5 minutes off the bench. Plus he had his own cheer squad. We sat near them and they were sensational.

Why does Tom English stop when he makes a break? He seems to stop, thinking he needs to pass it. He should just pin his ears back and go for the corner.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Brumbies live off errors created through their pressure, last night they were the ones providing errors from pressure as the Rebels got in their faces. The Rebels got smart in the second half and stopped trying to score tries from the continual stream of negative penalties the Brumbies provide. Once they started taking the points and kept the defensive pressure, the Brumbies looked shell shocked for long periods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats - who would have believed the result was possible.

Would be the odd happy Queenslander and dare I say it Weratah out there in rugbyland this morning

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Jeez the Brums push the limits of the laws. They were lucky to only lose one. Should have been three players down in the last 20 minutes. They were like an exhibition for cynical penalties. Drives me mental watching it.

One the whole for once the ref was good but he was soft on the Brums.

I support a team that won three championships off kicking and turnover ball but last night again showed that no matter how good your counter attack, if the other team defends well and kicks back equally well, the odds are stacked against you these days. It is not a winning formula in this type of competition where teams will chance their arm a lot more than in say test rugby.

As with the Bulls, the Brums model is fundamentally flawed on the current day game. Looks utterly dominating when it clicks but boy when a team takes you on and you don't make your tackles and your kicking game is not 100% on song it falls to pieces.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
what a great night.

terrible kicking in the opening 20 minutes but wonderful defence and intensity at the breakdown mostly nullified the gifting of possession to mogg, coleman and tomane. if woodward and hegarty don't have the skill set to kick accurately for field position, as distinct from when it is absolutely necessary under pressure, don't for F sake do it. last night it gave away a lot of ball and lead to the opening try for the ponies.
as in the Cheetahs game when the Rebs ran the ball and backed up and off loaded they looked dynamic.

great game again from jones, inman and ellison. thought male sau was one of the best, both in attack and defence. definitely time for shota to start. the ranga looked short of a run so will be better next up. the bench once again all contributed, cruze ah-nau did some great work at the breakdown and in defence, and mcmahon won a crucial turnover late in the second half to stifle a brums attack.

still have to work on the consistency of the scrums. i don't recall us losing any lineouts on our throw last night which is a big step up.

i'm still with Tex. i will continue to vocally* support the team, hope for the best rebels to turn up, expect the worst and i'll absolutely love it when we win. just hope that the improvements continue.

(* much to mrs pass dismay)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Why does Tom English stop when he makes a break? He seems to stop, thinking he needs to pass it. He should just pin his ears back and go for the corner.

He had a sudden rise last year, and I didn't think a lot of him on club form before that; but he has potential and his coaches should improve him.

He made a horrid mistake last night which could have cost them the game.

Wingers are like football centre forwards: they have to know how to finish when they get that one chance in the game.

English panicked a bit when Mogg approached him near the corner post; he changed hands with the ball, which was good, but he dived one step too early.

He should have been coached enough times that the dive must have the ball grounded on the line on landing, under normal surface circumstances—if he has time to do it and he doesn't have to duck under a defender, or yarda, yarda. This makes the effect of the impact irrelevant because the try is already scored.

He is a good player and hopefully it is a lesson learned.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
He had a sudden rise last year, and I didn't think a lot of him on club form before that; but he has potential and his coaches should improve him.

He made a horrid mistake last night which could have cost them the game.

Wingers are like football center forwards: they have to know how to finish when they get that one chance in the game.

English panicked a bit when Mogg approached him near the corner post; he changed hands with the ball, which was good, but he dived one step too early.

He should have been coached enough times that the dive must have the ball grounded on the line on landing, under normal surface circumstances—if he has time to do it and he doesn't have to duck under a defender, or yarda, yarda. This makes the effect of the impact irrelevant because the try is already scored.

He is a good player and hopefully it is a lesson learned.

The Fact he knew he stuffed it and dived early says alot about him.. Mogg isnt the greatest tackler and half stepped then put on the pace he could have run it under the posts..

Let's hope he learns to back himself to score that with out the dive

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Jeez the Brums push the limits of the laws. They were lucky to only lose one. Should have been three players down in the last 20 minutes. They were like an exhibition for cynical penalties. Drives me mental watching it.
Yeah they do and they are also fond of the "accidental" loiter.

They aren't the only ones. On Friday night I saw guys like Potgieter diving into rucks for the Tahs like swimmers starting a race. And sometimes the action wasn't even needed.

Queensland do it too, and too much, because they are getting pinged for it.

But there is another side of it: some teams are too passive, or they are too passive in parts of a game when risky stuff is the way to go, yet they can be risky when it doesn't matter.

It's the same for individual players. Fardy got carded last night, but some of the shit he gets away with is astonishing. On the EOYT it was like he had an invisibility cloak, and he had my heart in my mouth a few times.

Despite last night I think he has the balance right in his game (and Moore needs to pull back just a touch).

Other players let the game pass them by or they try to work out when to push the envelope but their judgement is not good enough.

It is one of the things players should be assessed on.

As a team, the All Blacks are best at working out when to risk things.

Oz rugby has get more of their players performing like Fardy and Moore.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
On English, I think he's an outside center long term. He makes good breaks, he's pretty good defensively, and he's a big lump of a lad. But he doesn't have excellent top line speed, or a killer finishing instinct, which is essential for a winger.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Burgess really sparked the Rebels. Huge games by Jones, Woodward and Sau in particular.

He did, but sometimes you felt like throttling him last night through the TV screen when he dithered at the base of rucks giving defenders a second or two to set, as he did at the Tahs and in his last year in France.

Jones has made a big step this season and maybe it's because he is a year older. He is the same size but he is playing bigger, if you know what I mean.

He has had a big engine and been athletic since his school days, but this year there is a bit of the bruiser about him—and that is why he is playing a lot and Neville isn't.

In the Wallaby mix he could be a Fardy type—a 6 who can play lock, or vice-versa—if he gets the street-smarts that the older man has.

Watch this space on Luke Jones: he could well be in the next RWC squad like his good mate in the St. Pius X 1st XV, Michael Hooper.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Yeah they do and they are also fond of the "accidental" loiter.

They aren't the only ones. On Friday night I saw guys like Potgieter diving into rucks for the Tahs like swimmers starting a race. And sometimes the action wasn't even needed.

Queensland do it too, and too much, because they are getting pinged for it.

But there is another side of it: some teams are too passive, or they are too passive in parts of a game when risky stuff is the way to go, yet they can be risky when it doesn't matter.

It's the same for individual players. Fardy got carded last night, but some of the shit he gets away with is astonishing. On the EOYT it was like he had an invisibility cloak, and he had my heart in my mouth a few times.

Despite last night I think he has the balance right in his game (and Moore needs to pull back just a touch).

Other players let the game pass them by or they try to work out when to push the envelope but their judgement is not good enough.

It is one of the things players should be assessed on.

As a team, the All Blacks are best at working out when to risk things.

Oz rugby has get more of their players performing like Fardy and Moore.
If you listern to Mowen after the match he said Fardy pushes it every game and has been outstanding so id take that every time. . We suffer atm without Pococks.. we attack it harder because we lack the fetcher. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The penalty that Fardy got sent to the bin for was a joke, he was completely legal.

Depends what you mean. In the 6 Nations, and most of the NH seasons, the refs have been very very tough on that. The suggestion is that as soon as the hands hit the ground, they are no longer supporting their own weight, and cannot go for the ball.

So while it's harsh, I was expecting it. I've not watched enough super this year to see how it's been reffed.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.